Thread: Duct tape no good on UV chips...

Duct tape no good on UV chips...

I bought a GQ 4X programmer so I could burn old 2732 UV erase type chips for a fleet of trucks. Well all went well. When I was done with the chips I had a sheet of labels I printed with info of chip to cover the top glass type hole that the UV light goes in to erase, like on a stock chip so they looked good to. I used to use masking tape and write on it what it was.

Well the other day I pulled my 7747 from the Suburban that has the Moates adapter for 27FS512 chips so I could use it to tune a car and replaced it with a stock ECM and chip I burned... check engine light flashed continuously, so I thought finally I got a bad chip, first of about 25, I had bought 100 of them brand new... tried again, didn't work.... so I burn a third one and this time read it and compared the hex to file and identical. Put it in... didn't work.

Took a break and had dinner and was trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. Only thing different was I put a piece of duct tape on top... pulled it off and all three chips were good and ran in the truck! Left it in with no tape or sticker on it, should be OK as it will never see light.

The duct tape must conduct electricity?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Administrator
    Some duct tape has aluminum in it.

I've had problems with the adhesive from the tape preventing UV light from erasing the chip. I carry a can of brakeclean when doing chips. I also bought a nice, electronic label maker so I didn't have to keep writing on masking tape. Works great.

I always wiped the old ones clean with acetone, saw that coming. But these were new chips. Did not see the duct tape issues coming...

What's the label maker? Like one of those old ones that stamped numbers in a tape?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-