Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ECU Swap On 1991 TBI 454 / 4L80E

Get the Moates Burn2, Tuner ProV5, G1 adapter, zif socket and chips along with the correct xdf and adx files.
    Also a stand alone wide band AFR gauge is needed (in my book)
    Make a copy of you existing bin file then start cutting your teeth.

I have a 1992 7.4 / 4L80E in a RV chassis that is now running better than I thought it could without any internal mods.
    It just take a lot of time and tweaking and many chip burns, test drive and data logs.

Put in the time and labor (most of it mental) there is no magic bullet just baby steps.

My engine is bone stock where as yours is not,.........YMMV
    Last edited by dktool; 12-01-2017 at 08:04 PM.
    Dean

Electronic Ignition!
    [QUOTE=dktool;68112]Get the Moates Burn2, Tuner ProV5, G1 adapter, zif socket and chips along with the correct xdf and adx files.
    Also a stand alone wide band AFR gauge is needed (in my book)
    Make a copy of you existing bin file then start cutting your teeth.

I have a 1992 7.4 / 4L80E in a RV chassis that is now running better than I thought it could without any internal mods.
    It just take a lot of time and tweaking and many chip burns, test drive and data logs.

Put in the time and labor (most of it mental) there is no magic bullet just baby steps.

My engine is bone stock where as yours is not,.........YMMV[/QUOTE

Dean,

Thanks for the reply... My curiosity at this point is how much torque the old TBI can support once it is tuned. This engine should easily make 500 LBS/ft of torque... I don't plan to rev over 5K. If it can support these numbers I will continue to work on this system. There are other options but at significant expense. I already have the Innovate wide band AFR gauge... just need to install it. First priority...

Ed Tatios

Fuel Injected!
    I have 454 with 500 lift, ported heads and ported aluminum intake with headers and 3.5 exhaust. My stock torque was about 400 and it now pulls a huge amount better than when it was stock so I'm not sure if I have 500 torque but it must be getting close. I redline at 4200 and do hard hill pulls at 35-3700. All that with a 7.4 tbi with the late model smaller injecters at 35 psi. So I would guess tbi would be fine for you as a towing motor and at the edge for a high preformance street motor.
    6395, BHDF, 7.4 BBC lightly modded now 6395 BMHM back to BHDF

Electronic Ignition!
    Myburb,

Thanks for the info... What ECU are your running? I assume it is tuned? Are you running stock TBI fuel pump? I know the later TBI ran higher fuel pressure. Early injectors or late injectors?

Ed Tatios

Fuel Injected!
    I use 6395 and 7427 and get the same results from both. My fuel pump is a 94/95 big block which is higher pressure than all the others. I am currently using 94/95 big block injectors at 35 psi. I have fooled with low pressure injectors at 20/25 psi. I have done lots of tuning through tuner pro and for the last several years have only run open loop with auto IAT correction. I don't run any heat in my intake. Your motor should pull real well if your cam isn't too radical. With my 500 cam it idles super smooth at 650 rpm and about 10 counts of IAC in neutral.

Electronic Ignition!
    Just ordered the works from Moates.net to see if I can get this beast running properly

Electronic Ignition!
    I got the Moates stuff on Friday and have been working on familiarizing myself with the setup...today was the first opportunity to work on it... when I opened up my ecu I found that it had a Jet Power Chip in it and a G1 style adapter to use the factory MEMCAL. I pulled the chip from the adapter and read it with the Burn 2 and then down loaded the BWAP bin and have been comparing them using TunerPro V5. Not convinced that the Jet chip is appropriate for the truck. I decided to burn the BWAP bin on to a chip to test things out... it worked and I drove the truck around using the chip. I have started to modify the timing portion of the chip as I felt the numbers were too high for a tow vehicle with high compression. now I have to get more fuel... I am not sure I understand what the best way yo do that is. I am already running 35psi pressure.

Fuel Injected!
    I would think the most fuel you would get with a gm tbi would be early 454 80# injectors at 35 psi. That should flow about 130+ each which should be good for about 425 hp. What mask are you using. The bwap bin sounds like it would be a later from $31 or $OE. I like to start with a bin that most closely matches the transmission I am using and mod the fuel and ignition as required.

Electronic Ignition!
    I am using the original 91 injectors with the high pressure... the ECU in the truck appears to be the original one. The truck has a 4L80E... and I agree about using the .bin that matches the early transmission. I googled the PCM number 16147060 and on this web site I got a listing for a number of .bins... the truck came with AWAM and from what I was reading the thought was that all of the .bins for 16147060 have been superseded to "BXXX" versions. So I am trying to use BWAP as it will be more appropriate to my final build of the truck which will have a 4:10 gear set. I am using a $8D mask this i believe is appropriate for the BXXX series... it seems if I use the AXXX version I should use the $85 mask. Does this sound correct?

Fuel Injected!
    Years ago I had a 7060-bamm and found it hard to work with which was partly the fact I didn't know much. I have since switched everything to later red/blue ecms and $OE so can't help much with your setup. My opinion is the $OE is worth the switch but that's just my two bits.

Electronic Ignition!
    Would changing to a later PCM require rewiring the engine and transmission? There was another post that the earlier transmission is not compatible with the later PCM so that doesn't not sound like the direction I want to go... since the trans was rebuilt less than 500 miles ago.

Fuel Injected!
    If I remember on my first swap ( 93 7060 bamm to 94 6395 ) all I did was change the force motor and repin the connecter. My trans already had the newer style connector plug. They are available as an upgrade, not too expensive. I put about 10000 on that setup and then it was sold for a hotrod swap. On the internet you will hear some say it is fine, others say the sky will fall if you mismatch anything. I will leave that to you. Also would be interested to have a look at the bin BWAP. Where did you get your copy?

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by myburb View Post
    If I remember on my first swap ( 93 7060 bamm to 94 6395 ) all I did was change the force motor and repin the connecter. My trans already had the newer style connector plug. They are available as an upgrade, not too expensive. I put about 10000 on that setup and then it was sold for a hotrod swap. On the internet you will hear some say it is fine, others say the sky will fall if you mismatch anything. I will leave that to you. Also would be interested to have a look at the bin BWAP. Where did you get your copy?
    myburb,

I got the .bin from this site... I used the search function and just plugged in the PCM number 16147060 The title of the thread was 16147060 $85 superseded to $D8. I actually have a newer 4L80E but want to use the older one since it was just rebuilt... last thing I want to do is burn up the trans on a 2500 mile tow to Florida. Once i get more familiarity with the vehicle I might experiment but right now I want to get it reliable and working properly... I have tuned Bosch systems but this GM speed density stuff is different... no fuel tables to work with. I can certainly experiment but with rather get some advise from someone that has been there.

Fuel Injected!
    I looked through that thread twice but couldn't find a BWAP. Do you remenber what page it was.

Electronic Ignition!
    myburb,

I am an idiot... i used BAMP.bin I was writing from memory originally and continued making the mistake. Sorry. I have compared this to the original .bin file AWAM.bin and have found it to be very similar. The only place i saw a difference was in DFCO.

ET
    Last edited by tatios; 12-28-2017 at 09:09 PM.