Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ECU Swap On 1991 TBI 454 / 4L80E

ECU Swap On 1991 TBI 454 / 4L80E

I have swapped TPI and TBI engines for a few years. Have always been able to find an ECU to fit the needs of the project. Now I'm trying to learn how to program and the tuning side of things. So to start and to learn I'm going to swap to a later ECU on my personal truck. Just would like some input on if I'm on the right track.

My truck is a 1991 GMC with a 454/4L80E combo. The current ECU is a replacement reman, but the sticker on the mounting bracket has #16154331 AWAY

I down loaded the bin file off of it. Would love to share this bin file but cant figure out how to..... Attached is a similar bin file off this site.

I have a ECU form a 95 GMC truck, but its for a 350/4L60E combo. It too is a reman ECU but has 7-7247 # 0n it. I know the ECU is good, cause I pulled it from the truck do to an LT1 swap.

I have a Moates Burn2 and Tuner Pro, G1 adapter, and chips. I want to burn a new chip with the 454/4L80E bin and swap it in my truck, and yes,, I do Know I have to rewire the plugs.

Found a bin for a 95 454/4L80E on here, but the parameters look all out of whack,,,, and are not close to the bin in my 91 ECU. Comparing the files with Tuner Pro and $OE .
    Finally, my questions. Can I burn the 91 Bin file to the later ECU? Do I need to find a different Bin file for 94/95 454/4L80E? Or is the 95 file ok?

Thanks,,, hope I posted in the right place.

Ok, I'm confused...

You have a 1991 Truck with a 454 and 4L80E. In this truck there is a PCM with a bin file of AWAY. I'm pretty sure this is correct so far.

You want to program the AWAY bin into the MEMCAL/PROM of your truck... which is already there... *confused*

You mention another PCM, but it's not clear why. Do you want to use this other PCM for some reason? Is there something wrong with your current PCM?

When swapping ECM/PCM, you have to make sure that the bin file is compatible with that ECM/PCM. There are some bins (code masks) that will swap between different ECM/PCM, but at times that's a more advanced technique.

There are also different code masks used within the same ECM/PCM, or even with the same engine combo, so you will need to verify the actual code mask and use the appropriate XDF to view the data.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

I have heard the later model ECU (94 95) is faster and smoother running. I want to swap a 95 ECU in my 91 truck. The trucks runs good, just want to see what the difference in drivability is, and try to earn something. I have no idea what ECU is in the 91, just that its been changed at some point, and the sockets on the ECU are the same color indicating an earlier ECU.

I have a 95 ECU, but NOT off a 454 4L80E. What do I need to do to make it work on my 91?

Sorry if I'm not clear on what I trying to do, don't how else to explain. Very new to programming side of things...

The swap you are reading about is from a different ECM, the 1227747, not the PCM you have. You'll likely see little to no difference in swapping PCMs in this case, (using the correct bin for the new PCM).
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Thanks, I'm just currious , does the 95 bin file I posted here look OK? What deffenition file would be good to use? Thanks.

Administrator
    If you have a 94-95 pcm, the "7-7427," then it is most likely a reman version of GM's 16197427. It will have three connectors, red and blue, instead of two like the earlier vehicle. If there's a 4 letter code on the chip inside we can confirm the pcm number.

In order to use the 7427 with a 7.4 / 4L80E you'll need to burn the 7.4 calibration onto the chip from the 7427 as well as make appropriate wiring changes.

In order to upload the AWAY cal you can click on the "go advanced" button below the reply window, then "manage attachments" to open a popup
    BCC= that will allow you to upload files from your pc. There's a copy linked in the "16147060 PCM Information $85 " thread http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-85.

The calibrations will look different in hex editor. You could open a second instance of Tunerpro and use the correct definition file from the $85 thread to look at both calibrations for similarities. I agree that you might not find much is different swapping the the newer pcm but it doesn't hurt to learn.

Here;s the information I have for AWAY:
    BCC year is 1991
    BCC= AWAY4398 Scan id= 4331 Part number= 16154397
    Release date= 06/01/90 Engine size= 7.4 Trans Type= Auto trans
    ECM/PCM: ECM #16147060
    Used in trucks: GMC
    Possibly used in:
    G30 VAN,2WD,1 TON G35 VAN,2WD,1 TON R2500,2WD,3/4 TON
    R2500,2WD,3/4 TON R3500,2WD,1 TON R3500,2WD,1 TON
    V3500,4WD,1 TON V3500,4WD,1 TON

Options:
    With C6P GVW RATING (8600 LBS)
    With C6S GVW RATING (8900 LBS)
    With C6U GVW RATING (9000 LBS)
    With GT5 AXLE, REAR, 4.10 RATIO
    With HC4 AXLE, REAR, 4.56 RATIO
    With L19 7.4L GAS 8 CYL TBI V8
    With MT1 AUTO 4 SPD THM R2 (4L80)
    Without NM8 EMISSION SYSTEM, LEADED FUEL

billygraves

1991 PCM to 95 PCM?

Quote Originally Posted by X-cabsquarebody View Post
    I have swapped TPI and TBI engines for a few years. Have always been able to find an ECU to fit the needs of the project. Now I'm trying to learn how to program and the tuning side of things. So to start and to learn I'm going to swap to a later ECU on my personal truck. Just would like some input on if I'm on the right track.

My truck is a 1991 GMC with a 454/4L80E combo. The current ECU is a replacement reman, but the sticker on the mounting bracket has #16154331 AWAY

I down loaded the bin file off of it. Would love to share this bin file but cant figure out how to..... Attached is a similar bin file off this site.

I have a ECU form a 95 GMC truck, but its for a 350/4L60E combo. It too is a reman ECU but has 7-7247 # 0n it. I know the ECU is good, cause I pulled it from the truck do to an LT1 swap.

I have a Moates Burn2 and Tuner Pro, G1 adapter, and chips. I want to burn a new chip with the 454/4L80E bin and swap it in my truck, and yes,, I do Know I have to rewire the plugs.

Found a bin for a 95 454/4L80E on here, but the parameters look all out of whack,,,, and are not close to the bin in my 91 ECU. Comparing the files with Tuner Pro and $OE .
    Finally, my questions. Can I burn the 91 Bin file to the later ECU? Do I need to find a different Bin file for 94/95 454/4L80E? Or is the 95 file ok?

Thanks,,, hope I posted in the right place.
    I suggest you NOT do this. The 1991 - 1993 4L80-E used a Bosch Force Motor and has additional hardware inside the Valvebody. There is a SOFTWARE routine that the 91-93 PCM has for the 4L80-E for the "Cleaning" of the FM. If this Cleaning is not performed the result will be excessive HI or worse STuck LOW pressures for your trans. There is only ONE way around this. Change the PCM/Calibration AND change the 4L80-E valvebody, Trans Electricals, Spacer Plate, and VB Gaskets to a 94-2002. In the 96 forward there are TWO different Valvebodies. One for a low HP and one for a HI HP. The way to determine the HI HP is the FM Actuator Valve has a ring cut into it. In order to see this you must take it out of the VB or shuttle the valve ALL the way over to loaded side.
    If this was my own, I would NOT do it. Besides the MEM-CAL the outcome is the SAME for so much effort.

^^^^ I forgot about that. Nix that idea. Going to mess with what's in the truck. Thanks for your input folks.

Im trying to do soon data logging on my 91 GMC. 16154331 is in the ecu mount, but the ecu is a Delco replacement with out a # on it. I have used the link above to get a bin file , definition file, and a data file. There is no info on 16154331 ecu so 16147060 looks to be the closest, and got files from link above. I would love to post the files here, but after an hour of trying to link, copy and paste, etc,,, I could figure out how. TunerPro would quit responding and I would have to close it. Got frustrated and called it a night.

So, when I open the bin, xdf, and data file in TunerPro every thing works until I connect to my truck. All the dash stuff is jumping around and useless. I have tried all kinds of different files from TP site and here and have had no luck.

Need some help on how to post files here please.
    Need to correct files for my truck please.
    I have read for hours and have not found any thing that works so far.
    Last edited by X-cabsquarebody; 11-11-2014 at 02:25 PM.

Here is the numbers on my ecu.

The other letters on the mount are cut of but are AWAY.

Found a thread, http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...erceeded-to-D8 . Down loaded the two files. Got TunerPro to start logging, but just volts and temp. Then when I go to save the log, TunerPro stops responding and nothing gets saved. I don't know WTH I'm doing... And don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or if I need different definition file, and log file??? Any Help would be get. Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

The 91 model 454/4L80e truck should have a 16147060 PCM in it. Use the files in this thread http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...Information-85
    89 K1500 Scottsdale 5.7L 5spd 3:42 RamJet cam Dart iron TBI heads 427 PCM swap
    95 C2500 Cheyenne 6.5L turbo diesel 4L80e 4:10 DB2-4911 Manual pump conversion 0411 PCM trans control 2Bar COS
    05 Outback XT 2.5L turbo gas auto

Well finally figured out the winning combo of files, and got my first Datalog on my truck. Now to figure out what it means and how to use it.

A Quick run down of what worked...

I pulled the ECU out of my truck and got BAMW off the Inside. I'm guessing its a 16147060 from what I found on this forum.

The files
    Attached Files Attached Files

Electronic Ignition!

91 454

Quote Originally Posted by X-cabsquarebody View Post
    Well finally figured out the winning combo of files, and got my first Datalog on my truck. Now to figure out what it means and how to use it.

A Quick run down of what worked...

I pulled the ECU out of my truck and got BAMW off the Inside. I'm guessing its a 16147060 from what I found on this forum.

The files
    I am interested in tuning my 91 454 with 4L80E... I am new to tuning GM TBI I was wondering if you have had any success with tuning your 91? Sorry to dig up an old thread but your experience maybe extremely helpful. I need to tune the TBI to see if it can handle the engine I recently installed in my truck. It is a 99 454 block bored .040. it has been squared and zero decked. Running 10 to 1 Kieth Black pistons, a mild Comp roller cam and oval port Merlin Iron heads. Aside from the iron heads it is a hot rod motor. I ended up with the motor as the vehicle it was in caught fire. I am trying to make it work with this old throttle body system. Not expecting high RPM just looking for good towing power. I should mention it has shorty headers and true dual exhaust. So far I have jacked up the pressure in the TBI regulator and it runs ok but it is lean. I have checked with a five gas analyzer as well as looking with a Snap On Verus scan tool.