Thread: Knock Sensor Conditioner ID

Fuel Injected!

Knock Sensor Conditioner ID

Inside the blue men-cal is this Hybrid Circuit that I am sure you all know about.

I am trying to find out how to ID which ones I have… I know there is a little number etched into the substrate of the Hybrid but I haven't been able to find a lookup yet… perhaps b/c I don't know exactly what this little thing is called.

Thanks for any pointers!

Fuel Injected!
    knock filter board.we have all the aussie ones listed on our page by application i dont know if anyone has the usa ones listed

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by delcowizzid View Post
    knock filter board.we have all the aussie ones listed on our page by application i dont know if anyone has the usa ones listed
    OK thanks… and where is your page? Thanks!

There is a thread on this site that lists how to identify the knock filter circuits, I just don't recall the name of the thread to direct you to it.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!

Administrator

Fuel Injected!
    So it turns out that the custom tuner guy I hired to do a chip for me isn't concerned about whether or not his memcal's contain the proper ESC board or other features. As we know, there are numerous reasons that we should probably start out with the right base memcal… as outlined here: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ll=1#post18185

So I need to find a memcal for a 94 (or so) Chevy 454 truck ECU = 16196395

I've looked on Ebay… not much at the moment.

Are there other places you guys go to find these?

Thanks!!

When it comes to needing a V8 knock filter, I usually comvert to using an external knock filter, but that is with the '7730 ECM, I'm not sure how to go about that on the TBI PCMs, well, it's one detail I'm not sure about, and that would be what pin would be used for the input from the external filter.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    I found a couple 454 memcal's and was pretty happy about it... so I now have the right signal conditioner path.

Here is my question... a basic one... WHY do I hear my engine knock if there is a knock sensor in place? It knocks at mid-throttle... sort of when the engine is lugging a bit.

But the question is kind of general... I've always had cars with knock sensors and in general- I always can here them knock still... I would have thought the code would back off the timing until the knocking stops... no?

Thanks !! :)

Super Moderator
    if you can hear it, it either isn't knock or it is and the sensor/filter isn't registering it as such.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

billygraves
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinvinv View Post
    I found a couple 454 memcal's and was pretty happy about it... so I now have the right signal conditioner path.

Here is my question... a basic one... WHY do I hear my engine knock if there is a knock sensor in place? It knocks at mid-throttle... sort of when the engine is lugging a bit.

But the question is kind of general... I've always had cars with knock sensors and in general- I always can here them knock still... I would have thought the code would back off the timing until the knocking stops... no?

Thanks !! :)
    You run a big block - Mismatched components. One is: A Mark 4 engine with a Wet hole knock sensor (65-90) with a Mark 5 block (91-95?) MEM-CAL. There is only one year for the Mark 4 Big Block knock and it had the external knock module. The Mark 5 big blocks had a dry hole knock sensor and different knock characteristics. A poorly torqued knock sensor will pick up less knock an over-torqued knock sensor will pick up more. Plumbers tape on the knock sensor makes the sensor less responsive.

Fuel Injected!
    Thanks... I am running gen V everything... block and knock sensor and mescal :) Thanks again!