Bringing TBI and Multi Port Fuel Injection to a New Level.     EFI Conversions and Tuning! Seattle to Portland! E-mail Tuning Consultant!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: - we're working on it :)

Electronic Ignition!
    It's still snowing here Dave.

BUT I've been looking at the Indy problem. I think I need smaller injectors. But I don't know what size - it's so confusing!

The FAST throttle body has 2 x 88lb injectors (rated at 58psi) so that's like 4 x 44lb if I had port injection.
    But I've been told to run them at 43psi so that would make it closer to flowing like 2 x 74lb or 4 x 37lb?

The original Fiero 2.5L had a single 60lb injector. I'm thinking 2 x 42lb injectors may be more suitable.
    How do I figure it out with this larger displacement 3.4L SD4 engine and higher RPM and airflow capability?

The other problem I think is the huge open plenum under the TBI on this Edelbrock intake.
    Since it's a 4-bbl , that open plenum is equal to what I'd see in a V8 intake manifold.
    I'm thinking I need a turtle in there to reduce plenum volume to maintain flow velocity. Any ideas?

Looking back at the data from last summer and fall, there is a challenge understanding what is happening at WOT. Going lean then rich suggests the fuel is puddling in the intake manifold. I agree, keeping the wet flow atomized requires good velocity inside the intake manifold.

One thought would be to try something like a 42 lb injector (with 4 holes) with 56 psi, to create an ultra atomized mixture? The idea is create a fog like mixture? Have you ever watched a fighter jet take off on a foggy morning? The fog condenses at the wing tips (but it's still a dense fog), which is what needs to happen to the fuel mixture @ WOT. Oh ... wait a minute, isn't that what an injector over an intake valve will do @ WOT?

dave w
    Last edited by dave w; 02-07-2015 at 10:02 PM.

Electronic Ignition!
    Only have a 2-injector TBI - 4 would require a whole new TBI.
    I really don't want to give FAST any more of my money.

I have one of these to sell as it is (offers anyone?)
    http://www.fuelairspark.com/fas/xfi-...ol-systemhtml/

SD4 engine is capable of 200-250hp in current configuration.
    How many lbs are the injectors on the 2-injector GM TBIs for the 3.4, 4.3, or 5.0 engines?
    That may give me an idea on where to start.

Edit: found something here (looks like I should use 2 x 40-45lb instead of 2 x74lb that I have)
    http://www.dynamicefi.com/TBI_Fueling.php
    Last edited by IndyPaceCar; 02-08-2015 at 09:57 AM.

TBI Injector link:

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?81-GM-TBI-Injector-size-color-and-part-numbers&highlight=injector+flow

I favor keeping factory TBI fuel injectors pressures between 15 psi to 30 psi.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    TBI Injector link:
    I favor keeping factory TBI fuel injectors pressures between 15 psi to 30 psi.
    Sounds good, but I'm not talking about factory injectors - they won't fit a FAST TBI anyway.
    Besides they are not low pressure injectors, they are MPI type running 43psi (capable of 60psi)

I didn't intend to confuse the issue but was looking at whether 2 x 45lbs FAST injectors as being sufficient for this engine.
    Last edited by IndyPaceCar; 02-08-2015 at 11:41 AM.

I'm on the same page now, about the injector.

I'm thinking 90 lbs / hr would be enough fuel for 3.4 liters.

Fuel Injected!
    are you running a fuel pressure reg hooked to vacuam if not you will have issues when vacum changes the ecu is expecting a jump in fuel pressure when you crack the throttle

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by delcowizzid View Post
    are you running a fuel pressure reg hooked to vacuam if not you will have issues when vacum changes the ecu is expecting a jump in fuel pressure when you crack the throttle
    We sure are. 43psi engine not running, less with engine vacuum.

Fuel Injected!
    Bumping this up to get the thread filled in with the resolution. (FYI My SD4, 2 barrel TBI , runs injectors from a 5.0 liter V8 engine, those these are the GM injectors, and not the EFI/Holley style injectors)
    In terms of sizing, a good ball park is to use 2 times the stock 60lb injectors. If you are making 200hp that is roughly 2x the stock Fiero engine. For some reason, I can only get about 170hp out of mine, so 2 60 lber's is a bit too big for me.

Electronic Ignition!
    Presently working on building a MFPI system.
    Here is a mockup (have to build fuel rail).