Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EFI Fuel Pump Upgrade

yup the arm only travels so far. In the second to last pic you can see the stop at the top of the travel.
    1978 Camaro Type LT, 383, Dual TBI, '7427, 4L80E
    1981 Camaro Z-28 Clone, T-Tops, 350/TH350
    1981 Camaro Berlinetta, V-6, 3spd
    1974 Chevy/GMC Truck, '90 TBI 350, '7427, TH350, NP203, 6" lift, 35s

Carb and Points!
    Outstanding work Greg. I'm putting an L67 into my 72 Nova and would like to us this setup, but my tank is only 7 3/8 deep. How small does this set up get when compressed?

Also, I found a similar setup here http://vetteworksonline.net/ls1_conversion_fuel.htm using an LS1 F-body pump. According to them this pump has a built in regulator which allows them to do the following to eliminate the need for a return line. This is ideal as it will save me money and time running the extra line.

Another suggestion to eliminate the need for a return line was to use a 99 and up Vette filter/regulator at the tank.

What did you do for a filter/regulator?

Thanks

Thanks, as far a compressed height, I will have to measure one. There are a couple of different style buckets with different compressed heights, but just from memory 7 3/8 may not be enough room.

Yea I looked at the VetteWorks stuff, but it was out of the budget, so I made due with what I could find.

For a filter I am using an Earls -6AN inline filter and a SummitRacing deadhead regulator that I modified to be a bypass type after the throttle bodies.

With an MPFI setup, the line pressure with deadhead plumbing is high enough that there is really no 'lag' between injectors going wide open and the regulator closing off bypass flow way back at the pump, but with TBI pressures the regulator NEEDS to be near the engine.

I couldn't get one to work when I did that shallow long tank from an IH truck. IIRC it had 9 inches to work with and was close, but still no go after cutting the spring loaded posts down. Unless you can find a shorter bucket?

The pumps without a return line that come on newer rigs ar PWM and have PCM controls. Would be a sweet setup if that one did have a regulator in pump.

But if it's not designed to be returnless it's got to be a heavy burdon on pump designed to flow freely, without flow it would built up heat and without flow not cool?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Carb and Points!
    I hear that on the cost. VetteWorks wants $60 for this simple retaining ring set up........

I understand they need to make a profit, but we're talking 2 steel rings and 4 tiny studs and nuts. If I can get the retaining ring off of the tank the pump comes out of I can just tack it to mine. I spoke to someone else about the height of that setup and I think you are right, it's to tall. I'm simply going to fabricate a small, approx 3", square well on the bottom of my tank for the pump to sit in. That should be the simplest and most cost effective way of doing this.

Could you please explain what deadhead plumbing is? Is that what was pictured in my original post from VetteWorks?

Yes deadhead would be just like your first post, where the fuel line runs to the injectors/rails and just stops, no return, similar to a carb - (the evil four letter word, I know, sorry). In that pic the regulator is in the return line after it goes back into the tank.

My friend that was putting one in his mustang, got this used one from somewhere, ended up not using it, needed one even smaller, I don't know what it came out of, but here it is compressed......

DSC00065.jpg

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregs78cam View Post
    My friend that was putting one in his mustang, got this used one from somewhere, ended up not using it, needed one even smaller, I don't know what it came out of, but here it is compressed......

DSC00065.jpg
    Greg
    any chance you can ask your buddy what that pump came out of?? thats the size i need.

I will give him a call, and find out and get back to you. As far as the mounting ring, I can draw up an .dxf or .dwg of any dimensions you might need. The first one I made for the Camaro was pretty small, the one for the truck was larger and easier to work with. Were you going to have it cut, or just want some guidelines on size?

I found the larger one. For some reason I can't post .dxf or .dwg, but that is not a problem. These are just for the reinforcing ring that I put INSIDE the tank:
    OD 7.5"
    ID 5.5"
    24 holes on 6.5" bolt circle.
    Last edited by gregs78cam; 01-03-2014 at 10:14 AM.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregs78cam View Post
    I will give him a call, and find out and get back to you. As far as the mounting ring, I can draw up an .dxf or .dwg of any dimensions you might need. The first one I made for the Camaro was pretty small, the one for the truck was larger and easier to work with. Were you going to have it cut, or just want some guidelines on size?

I found the larger one. For some reason I can't post .dxf or .dwg, but that is not a problem. These are just for the reinforcing ring that I put INSIDE the tank:
    OD 7.5"
    ID 5.5"
    24 holes on 6.5" bolt circle.
    Ok thanks let me know what you find out.
    i was going to plasma one out. Is the inside ring welded in or how? Or I need to go read more lol

Carb and Points!
    hey gregs, great writeup, and followed your instructions, sorta! heres the problem, i lost one of the springs on the support rods, would you happen to have an extra spring

ill post pics later, but thanks for the great write up, it was almost painless

Fuel Injected!
    I HAVENT DONE ANY COVERTING, but 92 plymoth,dodge mini vans have a 40 psi pump assemble that lay kindof flat you might look at a pic of one could be a possible alturnitive.

Quote Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
    hey gregs, great writeup, and followed your instructions, sorta! heres the problem, i lost one of the springs on the support rods, would you happen to have an extra spring

ill post pics later, but thanks for the great write up, it was almost painless
    Hi, thanks for the feedback, sorry I have not replied back sooner, I have been EXTREMELY busy for a few weeks. Yes I have a few of the springs, if you still need some let me know, I can throw them in an envelope and send them out.

Carb and Points!
    Greg, terrific write-up. I was looking for tank/pump for my truck, found this, and knowing very little about TBI or fuel pumps. I wonder if the tanks you modified had had fuel in them? I have been guessing how you kept from getting blown up - I decided maybe dry ice-carbon dioxide is heavier than air.

I have an old tank form what I think was an early '80s Olds. Has 3 5/8 dia sender in it,and only 8" deep. I wonder if modifying that tank and looking for module that short - I see springs on the tubes, so assume they have some slide adjustability,

Or, should I lok for newer tank with 4 1/8 dia sender opening, and find sender module to fit it, and match my 0-90 ohm guage curve. Can the resistance be changed easily on one of these modules?

Write-up seems to say the additional fuel pressure won't hurt the TBI or regulator.

also, I assume the fittings and electrical connectors won't match the original harness and the fuel fittings may be new to me too.

Hope this isn't too far backwards.

Thanks again for your write-up and I am really glad to find this forum.

Hi, yes all three tanks that I modified have had fuel in them. Fuel in liquid form will not burn, it is the fuel vapors that ignite easily. Two of the tanks were done without any welding. On the latest one though, we drained the fuel out, then blew compressed air through the tank around all the crevices to make sure there was no liquid left in there ANYWHERE. When I didn't see any more fuel and only a slight smell remained I then turned on the shopvac and blew air through it for another 5 minutes or so. Then welded the flange on.

8" might be a bit on the shallow side for these senders. These have about 1 to 1.5" inches of compression built in to them so they always stay pressed against the bottom of a tank. My best suggestion is to just go to your local Pull-a-Part, and drop a few tanks and check out what is there.

The pressure shouldn't be any problem at all, it works just fine for TBI.
    Fittings and plugs will be different, but not hard to sort out.
    The level senders I used in the write up came with both ohm ranges for different applications, then later they changed style to the one pictured in post 22. These, I believe, were only available in the newer ohm range.

I hope this works for you.