Thread: 454 with 4L60 $0D 16196395

Fuel Injected!

454 with 4L60 $0D 16196395

HI All,

I am new but have been around a bit.

I just put a 454 in place of a 350 in my 94 Chevy Blazer

I want to get a bin file that I can sort of "start with" and try some stuff with.

PCM 16196395 (is this the same as 16197427?)

I believe my mask ID is $0D -- do I need to find a $0D bin or would $0E work? I think I need to stay with $0D due to the 4L60 trans?

I've seen a few people mentioning similar swaps and development work necessary to merge a 454 bin with a 4L60 trans. Sure would like to find someone willing to share a bin like this.

I'd also be happy to find a 454SS factory bin for my PCM but haven't been able to find one of those yet either.

I can't share much in return yet except for a lot of experience building this engine… but I will return the favors any way I can.

Thanks all!!

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinvinv View Post
    HI All,

I am new but have been around a bit.

I just put a 454 in place of a 350 in my 94 Chevy Blazer

I want to get a bin file that I can sort of "start with" and try some stuff with.

PCM 16196395 (is this the same as 16197427?)

I believe my mask ID is $0D -- do I need to find a $0D bin or would $0E work? I think I need to stay with $0D due to the 4L60 trans?

I've seen a few people mentioning similar swaps and development work necessary to merge a 454 bin with a 4L60 trans. Sure would like to find someone willing to share a bin like this.

I'd also be happy to find a 454SS factory bin for my PCM but haven't been able to find one of those yet either.

I can't share much in return yet except for a lot of experience building this engine… but I will return the favors any way I can.

Thanks all!!

454SS would not help you. The first year or two were TH400 and the 91+ had the 4L80E.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    454SS would not help you. The first year or two were TH400 and the 91+ had the 4L80E.

What will happen if I try to run my 4L60 with a 4L80 chip? My buddy claims he is doing that with his rig but I am not sure I believe him or not.

I tried one just now (downloaded BJKX.bin) and the tranny was not happy! Ha.

Thanks for the info.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinvinv View Post
    What will happen if I try to run my 4L60 with a 4L80 chip? My buddy claims he is doing that with his rig but I am not sure I believe him or not.

I tried one just now (downloaded BJKX.bin) and the tranny was not happy! Ha.

Thanks for the info.
    Basically the fastest way to get things on track is open two TunerPro sessions. Load a $0D 5.7 4L60E .bin and a $0E 454 4L80E .bin and start copying engine tables and parameters from the 454 calibration into the 5.7 calibration.

Fuel Injected!
    Hey Fast355 -- can you help me double check my mask ID? How do I be sure that my current EPROM is using the $0D? I read that this byte is at offset 0x08 but when I look there…. there aint nothin… just a bunch of 00 bytes… ??

Administrator
    Often, GM uses a chip with more storage capacity than the calibration requires. Due to the design of the ecm, the calibration must be loaded so the last byte as at the highest address in the chip. So the first part of the chip is often "empty" or full of garbage. If you look at the cal in a hex editor you'll probably be able to see where the actual calibration starts.

FWIW, while you might find people willing to share a calibration, many folks here are of the "teach a man to fish" mindset. Cast your net into the waters, not among the people, and you'll probably find some help. ;)

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    Often, GM uses a chip with more storage capacity than the calibration requires. Due to the design of the ecm, the calibration must be loaded so the last byte as at the highest address in the chip. So the first part of the chip is often "empty" or full of garbage. If you look at the cal in a hex editor you'll probably be able to see where the actual calibration starts.

FWIW, while you might find people willing to share a calibration, many folks here are of the "teach a man to fish" mindset. Cast your net into the waters, not among the people, and you'll probably find some help. ;)

Understood about the bin offset. Probably the highest address is like a reset vector or something like that and so they offset the entire image up that high. OK

Also understood about getting a cal. I get that about "freeloaders" etc. My problem is that I feel like the merging of a 454 fuel/spark setup into a $0D mask bin (b/c I have the 4L60) is more than I can do right now b/c of life and other issues. I had hoped I could automate that by writing a mapper program in C, reading in the two XDF files and mapping the data from one to the other but sort of got convinced that that wouldn't work well either :)

I appreciate your taking time to answer my questions!