Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any other hptuner users

Fuel Injected!
    I was given an MPVI pro box a few weeks ago from a customer.
    He had traded his lifted dodge for a twin turbo 04 gto with a built LS2 swap and it came with it.
    He had no clue what it was,I explained how much it was worth and what it did then offered to keep it in lieu of payment for getting the spaghetti mess of wires under his dash fixed.
    Just now pulled it out to try out on a CTS cause I don't see a VDF for an 07 3.6 with tunercat or efilive.
    I would pay for a .bin convertor if I could find one.

Fuel Injected!
    I have long been a proponent of HPTuners software. I considered it superior in a lot of ways to other offerings. When it comes to doing swaps it has always been lacking, the vin/os pairing it requires has caused a lot of issues. This a very large part of the tuning game these days is being able make something work in an application other than originally intended. In a write up in the vcm suit FAQ section on the hpt site that you must be signed in to see, the new way of licensing in version 2.25 is partially outlined. HPT no longer locks to the vin or pcm ID, but a variety of items in the PCM. It is said that changing the VIN in the pcm will now most likely require you to relicense your file, even if it was previously licensed. Further restrictions on what is already a restrictive process. If you start adding up the costs of this, HPT has just priced itself out of the game in my opinion.

Also, licenses are not backwards compatible from 2.25 to 2.24 and older. The suggestion from hpt is to continue using 2.24 if you started with it on a vehicle. Currently there are a number of bugs with 2.24 that will not be fixed until 2.25 according to hpt posting. We have been left with a crippled version of software and told to keep using it to keep licenses intact.

Not impressed.

Fuel Injected!
    HP no longer charges for custom OS with 2.25, so that abrogates some of the hassle.

Which bugs are you experiencing?
    There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it can not be overcome by brute strength and ignorance.

Fuel Injected!
    No charge for custom operating system is part of 2.24. There are a number of bugs in the scanner presently. You can read the comments on hpt site.

Fuel Injected!
    All I am finding are some folks who don't know how to use the (any) software, and what appears to be a botched recent release of 2.24 that changed labels. If you need older, working copies of 2.24 or 2.25 LMK, I have an archive of 15-20 of the installers. I have done this for six or seven years now, with everything I use, because you always end up in a situation.

99% of the OEM tuning softwares on the market have bugs, issues, and do not work the way you think they do. Nothing unusual here, and to be expected given the magnitude of the project we are discussing. This is not just an HP Tuners issue.
    Last edited by mekkis; 02-03-2015 at 06:13 PM.
    There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it can not be overcome by brute strength and ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by mecanicman View Post
    I have long been a proponent of HPTuners software. I considered it superior in a lot of ways to other offerings. When it comes to doing swaps it has always been lacking, the vin/os pairing it requires has caused a lot of issues. This a very large part of the tuning game these days is being able make something work in an application other than originally intended. In a write up in the vcm suit FAQ section on the hpt site that you must be signed in to see, the new way of licensing in version 2.25 is partially outlined......
    I feel your pain. I have a shop and most of the work I do are engine swaps. Some of them need a lot of changes in the tune, like a different operating system, segment swaps, vin changes etc with 2-3 Bar support for turbo cars. To make a car work the way the owner wants is not possible with HPT V2.24 so I had to buy Tunercats to flash the PCM with the file I need.

Now 2.25 will totally cripple me for my swaps. I already tried and even a simple OS change asks for a re-license. I had the ability to flash a PCM with any OS I needed without losing my license because TC does not change the VCM ID HPT marries to. 2.25 will no longer allow that.
    The customer is who pays for the license, I don't see the point of locking the software this way, it will not bring more sales to HPT, on the contrary.

For all future projects all money for licenses will be going to Efi Live, they only lock to the PCM ID. I will only use HPT for vehicles not supported by others.

It's sad to see a great product go the way of greed and over protection. Afaik HPT's protection has not been cracked yet so I see no point in doing this.
    Last edited by Montecarlodrag; 02-07-2015 at 07:36 PM.