Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hacking/tuning the jeep ecm

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    So if the files are not out there for public use, how were the GM ones obtained?
    I can't say much as far as how the GM files were obtained, but as far as the DSM stuff I'm into, a group of like minded folks put in a lot of work and research to disassemble the code. From reading through some old archives from Todd Day(pretty much the pioneer for DSM code hacking), I do know that he had some help from the GM community.

All of the DSM ECU code related documents and files are on the Yahoo group, and there is a Jeep group, as well as a Dodge group. Give it a shot if you haven't already. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/jeep/
    Last edited by rts91tsi; 12-22-2011 at 05:23 AM. Reason: added link

So if the files are not out there for public use, how were the GM ones obtained?
    Someone in the business of making scantools slipped us a copy? I don't know where they originated?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

OBDII now that is easy cause they all must meet same standard...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs

-= =-

Well if the datastream for OBD2 is standarized, what about code, and tuning? Could you swap to a OBD2 jeep ecm and harness and have easyer tuning than the obd1?

That 99 grand cherokee I bought is OBD2, it has DIS, witch I think is cool.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Fuel Injected!
    I am curious which microprocessor your ECU has. I have been searching around via Google and found that some of the SBECs used the exact same Motorola processor that the DSMs use, for which there is documentation available.

OBDII is in everthing 1996 and newer, but tuning software is very expensive and more complex, thats if the Jeep engine is covered under any of them...

These are for PIDS, the error codes, the ALDL side and they are all not identical but have standardized most paremeters for emissions, each manfacturer still has other PIDS and they can change from car to car, car to truck, auto to manual etc... and I know very little about this subject. My Scan Tool tells me anything I need to know about any OBDII car... and OBDI for that matter.

-= =-

Administrator
    Stuff leaked out or was "tossed" out the back door. The last thing to appear was the datastream defs. For a long time the only thing out there was the ecmguy hacs and maybe one or two other independently done files. Then stuff started showing up here and there which had GM written all over it. The 7749 and $58 are so well documented because someone in England got a copy of the GM variable list and made tuning software long before most of the gmecm guys were a cohesive group.

So anyone know if one for my factory jeep ecm could be found and made to work with tunerpro? Would be nice if I could atleast scan and mabey datalog my stock ecm, just to see whats going on.
    One way to get an idea what's happening is to monitor the communications on the data line to / from scantool. This is how some of the early GM OBDII programming routines were worked out. Snap-on and others pay Chrysler for information from the data link so their scantools will work so it's not like it's a deep, dark secret. It's just an expensive secret.

Freind of mine whos a tech said most of the guys use this because it does everything a SnapOn does at 1/4 the money... well now it's 1/10th the money... I have it and it's amazing! Does all OBDI and OBDII, records data, cable to download and get upgrades each year. Mine came good through 2010 cars 2 years ago... I paid $100 more than what it is today...

http://www.amazon.com/AutoXray-AX700...4609726&sr=8-1

-= =-

Administrator
    We've got over $10k in our Snappy scantool and now the Snap-On dealer wants us to trade it on on a new model. I said "Make scantool software to use on the laptop and quit charging me for hardware that I don't like" but that took off like the proverbial lead dirigible

There's so many OBDII options for plugs and software for laptops... there's got to be one that is on a professional grade level? From what I know about the fleet you maintane it's just GM? That would be easier... EFI Live scan?

-= =-

Seems like a program you can put on a laptop and then use a simple USB cable with interchangeable ends to connect to the diffrent aldl plugs would make way more sense than the seperate scantools. You would have a bigger screen, and more room to store more data, and then a simple update over the internet to keep it up to date. Could be cheaper too, as you dont have to pay for the actual scan tool unit. All you need is the cable, and the disc to load the program from. Heck, it could even be downloaded over the internet.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Quote Originally Posted by rts91tsi View Post
    I am curious which microprocessor your ECU has. I have been searching around via Google and found that some of the SBECs used the exact same Motorola processor that the DSMs use, for which there is documentation available.
    Not sure how I could find out. If your not having any luck finding out, I doubt I would have any luck. Would the numbers off my ecm help? Its the factory original ecm, and its a 93 wrangler 4.0 inline six, and a 5 speed manual trans.
    Also, pardon my ignorance, but what is DSM?

Fuel Injected!
    Not sure how I could find out. If your not having any luck finding out, I doubt I would have any luck. Would the numbers off my ecm help? Its the factory original ecm, and its a 93 wrangler 4.0 inline six, and a 5 speed manual trans.
    Also, pardon my ignorance, but what is DSM?
    The link I posted will show you where to look for the microprocessor, then get the numbers/letters off the top of the chip.http://starparts.chrysler.com/starli...n/Electric.pdf

I also found a Snap-On PDF, that has specific ranges for data items that may be useful to building an ADX. http://www1.snapon.com/display/DocMg...px?fileid=4669

Once you find those numbers, if documentation is available for the processor, it should contain a listing of the opcodes necessary for operation and execution of the eprom's bin. Then the real fun begins!
    De-solder the EPROM, figure out the offset for the chip being used, read and upload the chips contents to a file on the computer. Depending on how much information you want to find out, there is a program called Binutils, that should be able to help if you want to disassemble the code. http://www.gnu.org/software/binutils/

DSM is an acronym for Diamond Star Motors, the collaboration between Chrysler and Mitsubishi, which is mostly associated with Eagle Talons, Plymouth Lasers, and Mitsubishi Eclipses. These cars were produced at a factory in Normal, IL and technically an American made car.

Then if you can figure it out? I read on TGO that a guy is commenting a disassembled code and he is up to 20,000 lines and about half done! He new were most things were. TunerPro software is 40,000 lines of code I read somewhere Mark has into it...

I have over 100 hours into making an adx for LT1 and half the code was written by TunerPro, I just entered parameter information, it's only 2000 lines... and I had the address of where things were.

Cracking GM code was done as a project at Ohio State University way back when by genius type computer geeks who knew microprocessor languages and took a team and years to get it done... luckily all the rest of GM code was similar so we have hacks for most...

I commend you for even thinking about doing this and the conversation is great! I am enjoying it... but even if you had the info you are talking about years of work... but you are getting closer and may find a way!

-= =-

Carb and Points!
    My specialty is calibrating the SBEC2 and JTEC engine controllers, like the one used on your Jeep. A couple of pointers ,

- Chrysler ecus use a special serial communication routine that runs at 7812.5 and 62500 baud .

- TunerPro will work for the 3D tables (yes SBEC2 ecus use 3D tables) and constants, but will not work for the functions, as Chrysler uses a 16 bit slope value between breakpoints.

- You can connect a Moates Ostrich to the ecu and emulate as long as your ecu is not using a latched chip.