Thread: Hacking/tuning the jeep ecm

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    So, basicly your saying tunerpro is not gonna work with the jeep bin files?

My jeep is a 93 wrangler 4.0L 5 speed. The spare ecm I have is actually from a 93 cherokee 4.0L auto. I dont mind opening its and removing the eprom, I just cant do that to one in my wrangler, cause I still need to drive it.
    If you have experance with these, do you happen to know the diffrence between auto and manual bins? I had originally bought the cherokee ecm because I red online that they were supposed to have a "better" timing curve to them. I swapped it in and everything ran the same, the only thing I noticed was I actually lost a little torque. So I put my original back in. Would be curious to know the diffrences in the two.
    But as I stated before, its all way over my head. I am at the mercy of smarter people who can hack it and get it to the point I can load it into a user friendly tunings sowfware where I can then make desired changes and burn back to a chip.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    So, basicly your saying tunerpro is not gonna work with the jeep bin files?

My jeep is a 93 wrangler 4.0L 5 speed. The spare ecm I have is actually from a 93 cherokee 4.0L auto. I dont mind opening its and removing the eprom, I just cant do that to one in my wrangler, cause I still need to drive it.
    If you have experance with these, do you happen to know the diffrence between auto and manual bins? I had originally bought the cherokee ecm because I red online that they were supposed to have a "better" timing curve to them. I swapped it in and everything ran the same, the only thing I noticed was I actually lost a little torque. So I put my original back in. Would be curious to know the diffrences in the two.
    But as I stated before, its all way over my head. I am at the mercy of smarter people who can hack it and get it to the point I can load it into a user friendly tunings sowfware where I can then make desired changes and burn back to a chip.
    Uusally, the only difference between manual and auto is in the idle control. But, it's possible that the auto trans cal has a bit more timing in places. Though, not likely overall...

I guess the only way to really tell would be to actually compare the bin files. If I could get this cherokee auto trans ecm and bin file defined and tuneable, then I would purchase another wrangler manual ecm to take apart and get the chip/bin out of it so it could be hacked/defined.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Carb and Points!
    Have you gotten any further on your jeep obd1 project? I have a 95 wrangler 6 cyl auto,and am looking into doing the same thing. I would like to output everything out to my android tablet, but I am coming up empty as well... I have done a little development of apps for the android and have the IDE to do it, but I am running into the same problem you are. Of course it looks you like you are heads and sholders beyond my full grasp of the project... I did find something that my aide in the communicaiton between a tablet and the jeep. This guy is using bluetooth to connect to a honda.http://www.linszter.net/?lang=en http://www.linszter.net/2011/08/09/t...amhoz/?lang=en But I believe the crux of the matter is the what you have already denoted and that is the "bin" files. I am work with databases on a daily basis and quite often I have to compare 2 database to find modifications that were done. I use some free software called Schema Compare or something like that... I am not sure it will work on a bin file, but it would hurt to give it a shot. Please keep me in the loop I would like to be involved in something like this if you are still pursuing it.

I have pretty much all but given up on the stock Jeep ECM. Its a great ecu, tough and durable, but as far as tuning support, there pretty much none. An those who can do it, will not share. This thread acted like it was gonna take off and go somewhere, but ended up smashing into a brick wall.

I have decided to instead, to convert it over to a GM 1227727 ECM. A few little mods to the engine (dist. and alt.), and hooking up the harness and I should be in business. There is way more tuning support for GM ECM's.

Carb and Points!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    I have pretty much all but given up on the stock Jeep ECM. Its a great ecu, tough and durable, but as far as tuning support, there pretty much none. An those who can do it, will not share. This thread acted like it was gonna take off and go somewhere, but ended up smashing into a brick wall.

I have decided to instead, to convert it over to a GM 1227727 ECM. A few little mods to the engine (dist. and alt.), and hooking up the harness and I should be in business. There is way more tuning support for GM ECM's.
    I know this thread has been dead for 5 years, but for those interested.

There's actually been a concerted effort to tune the sbec-2 for jeeps over on turbo-mopar.com. While my knowledge is limited on engine management, Ive been giving a few of the guys over there a hand with testing/figuring out some of this stuff.

Turns out the SBEC-II in jeep is similar, though not identical to the SBEC's used in turbo chryslers and others. There's been some good progress on reverse engineering the code and finding 3d tables/parameters for OBD-1 jeeps. There exists a suite of tools called MPTune and MPScan that are written by one of the very talented guys on Turbo-Mopar that allow for datalogging and tuning of these old chrysler ECUs. The effort that was mounted was to figure out the tables for the Jeep ECUs in order to utilize MPTune to be able to write new calibrations.

Separate form this effort, I actually purchased a tune from Chris Jensen, who is known for tuning SBEC/JTEC based Vipers and such. He also does jeeps and did end up street tuning my OBD-1 jeep. Though we agreed that any effort on turbo-mopar would be separate from the tune he provided me. Aka, We made a gentlemen's agreement him I would keep the tune he sold me away from the internet and I respect that. I only bring it up to mention it is possible and has been done before by professionals.

The cool thing with these SBEC-IIs are theyre pretty cheap, plentiful and interchangeable. The later ones are flashable, but the earlier ones need to be socketed. Socketing them is pretty easy if you know how to solder and are patient. I was able to put a socket on a spare SBEC-II I had in order to have Chris tune it for me. My experience with Jeep SBEC's are they have a built in Latch chip so just a regular run of the mill 27sf256 chip will work in the socket.

I can say Chris's tune provided my stockish 4.0 with a very noticeable gain in power and drivability! So there is definitely room for improvement on the table. He did tell me that in his experience, Chrysler seemed to put a huge margin of error for timing on 4.0s and there definitely is room for improvement.

Here's the thread this stuff was happening on, it's sort of slowed down but I think there's still interest:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...herokee-Tuning
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...hing-Questions
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ep-SBEC-tuning
    Last edited by sev; 08-14-2017 at 02:13 AM.