I wonder why tc will not allow you to lock a file. You can with hptuners, efilive, and even westers. Which is about the same program as tunercat. Just saved as a different ext.
Regarding Wester's, do you mean locked in the pcm, or just saved with a PW?

I did ALOT of work at the track tuning my spark map to get me off the line without alot of wheelspin and come on hard when the RPM and MPH started to increase.
I understand locking.
1) Customer paid for tuning, somehow someone else gets copy of unlocked tune, suddenly customer's pay for job is freebie tune for everyone else. Not fair to paying customer.
2) You work hard to build spark map, suddenly "Joe Tuner" shows up on Ebay getting $50 for magic spark map mod. You get nothing, yet Joe earns $$ while doing no substantial work.

Didn't even anger me.
Probably not worth getting angry over. But not too fair to your wallet and time. Some folks feel the time / money tradeoff should be honored so it's frustrating.
The market seems to be showing it's the level of detail to which the tuner pays attention, and the interest level to get it right that really define the value in a pay for tune. IMO locking to prevent unexpected prying but supplying customer with a means to unlock calibration is probably best way for the folks who feel like their work may be mis-used. Or do some "real" work and write a truly custom calibration!