Thread: engine plans and thoughts

Fuel Injected!

engine plans and thoughts

the yukon i always seem to have issues with has started to strike again, low oil pressure and slipping third gear in my 93 yukon, 5.7, 4l60e. so time for some motor and trans work, basically i started building a motor for my 72 but i think ill just swap them out together. questions is for all your tuning guys what the max you usually see tuned into a tbi motor as far as cam lift? i was hoping to be able to use the .470/.490 cam thats already in the motor, has vortec heads, carb intake ill use an adapter, and ls6 springs with comp retainers so i know the heads can handle it all. i was gonna have eagle mark do a base tune on the motor for the time being till i can get around to datalogging. he did my old setup and it runs fantastic so i trust his work.

as far as trans work is concerned if it matters itll be 2200 stall, pro built full upgrade kit, deeper pan, and full rebuild kit. i thought about finding a 4.3 era 4.60e but im uncertain which years will work with the 93-94 trans.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tylerz281500 View Post
    the yukon i always seem to have issues with has started to strike again, low oil pressure and slipping third gear in my 93 yukon, 5.7, 4l60e. so time for some motor and trans work, basically i started building a motor for my 72 but i think ill just swap them out together. questions is for all your tuning guys what the max you usually see tuned into a tbi motor as far as cam lift? i was hoping to be able to use the .470/.490 cam thats already in the motor, has vortec heads, carb intake ill use an adapter, and ls6 springs with comp retainers so i know the heads can handle it all. i was gonna have eagle mark do a base tune on the motor for the time being till i can get around to datalogging. he did my old setup and it runs fantastic so i trust his work.

as far as trans work is concerned if it matters itll be 2200 stall, pro built full upgrade kit, deeper pan, and full rebuild kit. i thought about finding a 4.3 era 4.60e but im uncertain which years will work with the 93-94 trans.
    If it were 2wd I would ditch the 60E and find a 4L80E. Stock rebuild with a shift kit the 80E is stronger than a high dollar, totally built 4L60E. Even a built 4L60E is like a hot chick with a STD to me. You want beat on it hard, but know not to for disastrous consequences.

As for your TBI cam question. Its not the lift that matters, its the overlap caused by increased duration and tighter LSA more than anything. Would need complete cam specs at both .004 or .006 and .050 to be able to tell you if it is suitable or not.
    Last edited by Fast355; 07-03-2014 at 08:06 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    cam is a higher lift year lt1 cam with 1.6's. its a lifted 4wd, not really trying to going into major rewiring i need the truck to drive and run i know if i have all my shit topgether i can swap a motor trans and tcase in a weekend. lsa is 117 i do believe.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    Even a built 4L60E is like a hot chick with a STD to me. You want beat on it hard, but know not to for disastrous consequences.
    i'm repurposing this for some modified usage on another forum, but holy hell can i agree with that.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    cam is a higher lift year lt1 cam with 1.6's. its a lifted 4wd, not really trying to going into major rewiring i need the truck to drive and run i know if i have all my shit topgether i can swap a motor trans and tcase in a weekend. lsa is 117 i do believe.
    I had a LT4 cam in my TBI 350 years ago. Ran GREAT on the stock van chip.

The transmission only has 12 wires. The wiring changes between 4L60E and 4L80E are minimal. Only have to add 2 wires for the input speed sensor and remove 1 unused wires from the 4L60Es 3-2 downshift solenoid.

Fuel Injected!
    whats the cost of a rebuild upgrade kit and stall for a 4l80e compared to a 60e? i dont tow or anything with the truck its just a driver.

Fuel Injected!
    whats the cost of a rebuild upgrade kit and stall for a 4l80e compared to a 60e? i dont tow or anything with the truck its just a driver.
    Stock stall for a 4.3 4L80E stalls about 2,200 rpm behind a mildly cammed 5.7 vortec. Like I said, stock rebuild + shift kit makes them nearly bulletproof. You will need to research changes to your transfercase and driveshafts however. Some transfer cases only require a teardown and an input shaft change to work with a 4L80E.

Fuel Injected!
    i already have custom driveshafts id like to not change it and already have a new tcase for the 60e so i think that whole plan will go on the backburner.