Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 400 SBC TBI conversion in my COE hotrod project

Electronic Ignition!
    What are the odds the 406 will run on the stock 350 computer? If it runs good enough to drive, then I certainly wouldn't mind taking the time to learn, but if it runs really badly, then I will need a pro's help as time is not on my side. My real desire is to learn the newer systems so I can get into the LS engines and even the imports. The TBI seems like a good place to start.

It will probably run enough to drive around the block, but run very poorly at best! Get the fuel pressure up to 16 PSI or so and don't push it hard and no WOT runs.

When you buy a starter chip you do get a big learning curve by comparing it to an original and you'll see how many things change, it's a lot. Use the compare tool and difference tool in TunerPro RT to find how many then read the Comments and you have an advanced lesson on top of a starter chip. The when your recording data to make adjustments it's more lessons, hands one.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    My fuel pump plan seems to be going down the toilet...I wanted to use the later model "Module" style in-tank pumps with the plastic cup built in. I have two pumps and planned to get aluminum bungs machined and welded to my tanks, the pumps would slide inside the bungs and a retainer ring on top would tighten the pump down on the O-ring. The issue is finding the right pump to fit correctly into the plastic housing and also have low pressure / low volume. After talking to the rep at airtec, it does not seem possible. The pumps with the double tubes on the bottom (for the correct fit) are all high pressure/high volume. He thought the low volume pump would most likely run the cup (reservoir) dry and perhaps cavatate. Well it seemed like a good idea.

Fuel Injected!
    The pump can't run the module sump dry when the return goes back into the sump. A newer factory pump will move a fair bit of fuel but it should still work fine.

Electronic Ignition!
    I quit. I give up. I am simply too tired and frustrated. This EFI swap is taking so much time and requiring so many modifications to an already heavily modified truck, that the project is not fun anymore.

I am going to stay with the carb for now and later, when the summer cruising season is over, I will return to the swap. For now, I think it is best for me to get it running and driving and to try and enjoy it. In the mean time I will try to figure out a decent and affordable fuel system.

I really hate admitting defeat...thanks for all the input.

Your just stressed for time, it's o fun when there is no time. You'll be back... to much desire!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    I might go forward with this swap after all, since I had to tear my engine apart for an exhaust valve leakage issue.

Which manifold is a better choice for a low rpm motor...the stock TBI intake or an Edlebrock performer with an adapter plate? Is there much of a difference?

There probably won't be a huge difference between the two, but knowing GM, they tend to design their engine systems to have a lot of torque just off idle, because it makes the vehicle feels faster and also helps the vehicle to get moving easier, without the need to rev the engine.

The nice thing about the intake manifold is that it's a fairly easy swap later on, if you feel the need to change.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.