Thread: electric fan control

Fuel Injected!

electric fan control

i am thinking about hooking up an electric fan and would like to control it with the computer. i have a 16168625 with a $od BJYL bin file and was wondering if it possible with this bin? i would need to know how to put the zip file in the bin and what wire i should use to control it. any help is appreciated. i looked for thread on how to do this and couldnt find one if there is one could you direct me in the direction?

There is a link for this very thing in the FAQ.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    There is a link for this very thing in the FAQ.

i was looking at the one you did at this link http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...E-Efan-control can i make these changes on tunerpro and does this one use the EGR wire to control it ?

I don't recall all of the details, I just know that it works.

The application I'm using it in does not use an EGR, so I don't recall if it was an EGR pin that was used. Using the available information and looking at a diagram for the ECM will verify.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

I am running the code linked above to control my cooling fan. It works great.
    It uses pin E3, which was not used originally.
    I used tunerpro to do mine. I simply opened the hex editor, found the lines and entered in the values.
    Last edited by JeepsAndGuns; 07-02-2014 at 02:07 AM.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Fuel Injected!
    thanks thats the info i was looking for. is it hard to find the lines?
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    I am running the code linked above to control my cooling fan. It works great.
    It uses pin E3, which was not used originally.
    I used tunerpro to do mine. I simply opened the hex editor, found the lines and entered in the values.

Not really. If I remember correctly, I had to scroll down a long ways. When your scrolling fast, its easy to zip right by it.
    I never could get a copy and paste method to work, I ended up typing it all in manually. Its actually not that bad, as there are only a few lines. I had my girlfriend read the lines off to me while I typed them in.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    Not really. If I remember correctly, I had to scroll down a long ways. When your scrolling fast, its easy to zip right by it.
    I never could get a copy and paste method to work, I ended up typing it all in manually. Its actually not that bad, as there are only a few lines. I had my girlfriend read the lines off to me while I typed them in.

its hard to believe that it only takes 8 lines of code to run fans like that i am definitely going to do that.

Fuel Injected!
    is the e3 wire a ground that you run to a relay and if the relay burns out will the computer throw a code to let you know?

Yes, IIRC it is a ground signal.

No, the ECM has no idea if the relay is actually engaging or not. That would require feedback and another pin, along with more (un-necessary) code.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    Yes, IIRC it is a ground signal.

No, the ECM has no idea if the relay is actually engaging or not. That would require feedback and another pin, along with more (un-necessary) code.

thanks