Thread: head ache that came into work.

Carb and Points!

head ache that came into work.

hey guys my names jake,
    i work at a family owned shop in Wisconsin and a customer bought a blazer with a 454 engine and a 4l60e transmission.

i was wondering if there is a bin file out there for a 454 with a 4l60e transmission
    using the 16197427 and i do have tunerpro
    any help would be great!
    thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by mccanic View Post
    hey guys my names jake,
    i work at a family owned shop in Wisconsin and a customer bought a blazer with a 454 engine and a 4l60e transmission.

i was wondering if there is a bin file out there for a 454 with a 4l60e transmission
    using the 16197427 and i do have tunerpro
    any help would be great!
    thanks guys!
    I don't have the bin, but curious as to why you need it. If you are just needing to look at data a bin isn't required. I assume this is a custom build anyway so therefore it would be a custom tuned chip??

If you have a auto prom or a burn 2 you can read the chip and pull the bin from it.

I've never seen a factory 454/4L60E combo, so I would assume this is a custom install, and that it has a MEMCAL that does not match the actual engine and trans combo.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Carb and Points!
    right now it is running on the original tune from the factory they never did this combo and he didn't know what he was buying this truck is all hacked together i was just wondering if someone out there made a good bin for this combo to get a start on tuning it.

Which one is the transplant? The engine or transmission? Im guessing the engine? So hes trying to run a 454 with a stock 350 tune?
    Like said, and from what I have heard about online, those two never came together from the factory. However that PCM was used to control both. Downside is the codemask is different. 350 and 4l60E were $0D. 454 and 4l80E were $0E.

I'm thinking your best bet may be to open two instances of tuner pro. On one, open the stock tune (that I am gonna assume is a 350 $0D bin) and then on the other instance, open a 454 auto $0E bin. Then go back and forth between the two and copy/paste all the main and important parameters for the 454 engine into the original bin. This will be very time consuming and tedious work. That should get you started. And I'm also assuming the 454 has the correct 454 tbi unit on it?
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    I'm thinking your best bet may be to open two instances of tuner pro. On one, open the stock tune (that I am gonna assume is a 350 $0D bin) and then on the other instance, open a 454 auto $0E bin. Then go back and forth between the two and copy/paste all the main and important parameters for the 454 engine into the original bin. This will be very time consuming and tedious work. That should get you started. And I'm also assuming the 454 has the correct 454 tbi unit on it?
    That's what I did to make a bin for a stock 7.4L TBI engine and 700R4 trans in a 1227747... worked great, lots of work!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Administrator
    That's what I did to make a bin for a stock 7.4L TBI engine and 700R4 trans in a 1227747... worked great, lots of work!
    Big cooler. Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig cooler.

And yes, most folks shy away from BBC + 700 family trans so you're probably going to have to copy n past all the tables.

Too bad TP didn't have a set of checkboxes that you could use to rapidly import multiple tables.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    There is a factory calibration for these, just don't know the BCC off the top of my head. Late 80s fullsize G-vans with the 454 also had the 700r4. I robbed the TBI, TBI adapter and TV cable bracket off the one I saw but the ECM was gone. I can't remember what year, but somewhere between 87 and 89, before the new front clip went on them, and it was a long wheel base G3500 church bus. I had a picture of the RPO SPID label on my computer for a long time, that showed IIRC L19, MD8, GU4, something I got alot of abuse over with the 454SS crowd who said that 3.08 gears for a 14 bolt do not exist and that a 454 never came with a 700r4 behind it.
    Last edited by Fast355; 07-03-2014 at 12:19 AM.

Carb and Points!
    thanks for the info guys! i think there is more wiring problems with this truck because i already copied and pasted the main parameters over and for some reason the tunerpro or truck starts to act up and i have to unplug everything and retry everything a few times to not get an error in tunerpro.
    i don't know the guy is talking about bring it to some transmission shop but that guy can't do anything until it runs right.

thanks for your help guys!

Administrator
    There is a factory calibration for these, just don't know the BCC off the top of my head. Late 80s fullsize G-vans with the 454 also had the 700r4. I robbed the TBI, TBI adapter and TV cable bracket off the one I saw but the ECM was gone. I can't remember what year, but somewhere between 87 and 89, before the new front clip went on them, and it was a long wheel base G3500 church bus. I had a picture of the RPO SPID label on my computer for a long time, that showed IIRC L19, MD8, GU4, something I got alot of abuse over with the 454SS crowd who said that 3.08 gears for a 14 bolt do not exist and that a 454 never came with a 700r4 behind it.
    I've seen parts book indications that a van was available that way but never had my hands on one. I've worked on some 3500 single wheel vans 3.08 gears and 700R4 but they used the C-clip rear from the 3/4 ton family. GM seemed to like selling "3500" series vans with 2500 parts to the conversion van builders for quite a while so I wonder if that's how the BBC + 700 got together.

thanks for the info guys! i think there is more wiring problems with this truck because i already copied and pasted the main parameters over and for some reason the tunerpro or truck starts to act up and i have to unplug everything and retry everything a few times to not get an error in tunerpro.
    I'd try a 4L80E + 454 calibration and unplug the trans. If the engine runs right and you only get a pile of transmission codes then the engine is probably wired correctly.