Thread: Boosting a 94 CPI 4.3 Vortec?

Carb and Points!

Boosting a 94 CPI 4.3 Vortec?

Trying to avoid an LS swap and build my 4.3 V6. Looking to make around 300hp. Instantly thought of a Typhoon drivetrain clone. I am new to the tuning world and am in dire need of a direction to be pointed to. I want to eliminate the CPI and convert to mpfi. I would prefer to convert to sequential, but I don't know if anyone else has edited their bin or xdf to accommodate for this. If that is too much trouble, batch fire will suffice. I also need to know if my stock ecm files will work with boost. Will I just be able to run typhoon files? Vehicle is a 1994 S10 Blazer (VIN W CPI), 4x4 (2 speed electronic shift), Automatic (4L60E), 3.42 rear.

Thanks!

A stock Sy/Ty bin will not work in your PCM, completely different ECM/PCM and are no where near compatible.

Yours has a MAF, the Sy/Ty does not, yours is a type of sequential already IIRC, where as the Sy/Ty is batch fire.

You can boost your 4.3 but best to get a bin for it.

Years ago I put a supercharger on my bosses 4.3 5-speed S-10. Seemed like a waste to me, while it did improve the truck's acceleration it was no faster than my 3.1V6 5-speed FWD Skyhawk (Stock driveline from a 1990 Tempest), that ran mid to high 15's.

Honestly, and I NEVER say this, given the choice between a boosted 4.3 and a V8, I'd go V8. I dislike V8s BTW (unless it's an LT5), so take that into consideration. 4.3s just always seem so labored to rev, at least without doing a LOT of work to them, at which point it would make more sense to just drop in a SBC.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Carb and Points!
    No MAF, just MAP (speed density tune if I have learned anything correct from reading up). This is the original CPI with the single MAXI injector and 6 poppet nozzles ( practically same batch fire as typhoon but just one injector and pulse signal instead of two). I have extensively researched an LS swap mainly because I want the modern fuel injection and the fuel economy that comes with it. The swap just entails a ton of modification and risk (modified oil pan, wiring harness, etc. and the risk of purchasing a used engine).

Carb and Points!
    *Bump*

No one else has any suggestions or tips?

elderbrock makes a cam and intake and will supply the required chip. Have you done a search on v-6 mods. seems I remember reading about a v-6 build. good luck

Carb and Points!
    I can't find an Edlebrock cam that will fit my application. I have an idea as to where I would want to take the motor, I just lack the knowledge of computer tuning to get it there.