Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chip burning cost?

Fuel Injected!

chip burning cost?

Hello, i did a little research but their seems to be a lot of adapters or different methods you can use to plug in a new burnt chip to the ecm. Anyway what is the cheapest you can get a way with burning your own chips. Is it easy to do and is it easy to interpret the data from the computer with a laptop or do you have to be a so called "rocket scientist". i see custom chips from companies online that people report just mess with timing and a few other parameters and that they are a rip off. it seems it is best to customise a chip to your own engine and application. I thought it would be cool to datalog on my way to school everyday and see how well i can tune. After all why go computer controlled when you can't control the computer. we don't need another terminator here. thanks.

ps. i read eagles post on what to do before tuning. all my cylinders are around 150 psi, i have a new timing chain, fuel pressure is good, 2 new injectors.
    Last edited by joegreen; 06-26-2014 at 11:11 PM.

Super Moderator
    the cheapest possible route will depend on what ECM you're messing with.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Do it, it's not that hard. The learning curve is pretty easy once you get used to navigating TunerPro. The tutorials on here are gold.
    Go to the Moates site, you'll need a datalogging cable, the burn2, adapter, and whatever chip type you require.
    I thought you were running a 7747, that's prob the cheapest one to do.
    If you aren't comfortable doing the ECU soldering, send it in. Don't want to mess that up.
    Last edited by blue68deville; 06-27-2014 at 01:20 AM.
    68 Cadillac, 472 & TH400 w/7.4L TBI and EBL **sold**

93 K1500 short step, 5.7 & NV4500 and EBL

68 C10 LQ4/TKO swapped

I was in the same boat not so long ago. I was very new to this and felt overwhelmed. I bought a G2 adapter and ZIF socket from moates.net to make chip swapping while tuning much easier. I use the burn2 to burn the chips which I also got from moates. Like blue68deville said, the tutorials are gold. I learned so much from them and from people here. The biggest thing I did to help myself is read. When I got confused I'd ask a question and everybody here is great for helping me through it. Once you understand what the definitions files do and how to use tunerpro, it's just a matter of time before you start getting comfortable once you start learning it.

Fuel Injected!
    cool. I am using the 1227747 ecu from an 87 k30 5.7 th400. now in my 78 k20 5.7 th400. You guys make me confident that i can do it. i don't mind soldering. i have a few soldering guns. 30 watt up to 140 i think. my tbi conversion made me a solder master (not really). from what i read i should buy a solder vacuum for when i unsolder the chip thing. ok so i need the aldl cable which i am going to buy from this forum (robert let me know when they are available, thanks). once i understand some of the things i am looking at i then need the burn2, chip, and adapter to install the chip into the ecu? is that all i need. i like the idea of working on my own stuff and not having to send out a chip to get programmed. not to mention the cost and time it takes for that to happen. do you think this is a worthy investment, afterall i am just a poor college kid. Thanks for all your quick replies.
    Last edited by joegreen; 06-27-2014 at 05:31 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    so the zif just makes it easier to take chips in and out all of the time? how tall is the g2 and zif combined? i want everything to stay under the cover of the ecu if that is possible. are their any other places besides moates that sells chip burning equipment? from what i have read the burn2 looks like a quality product and is better at burning chips.

I got the adapter thru Moates, it showed a lower profile option for mounting and that is what I did. My ECU cover will just fit over it. You may be able to modify the stock chip holder socket plastic bracket and get the new chips to seat. I didn't try it, thought of it after the fact.
    68 Cadillac, 472 & TH400 w/7.4L TBI and EBL **sold**

93 K1500 short step, 5.7 & NV4500 and EBL

68 C10 LQ4/TKO swapped

If you solder the G2 directly to the ECM, then the cover will go back on with a chip in it! Barely, so that's it. Having a ZIF socket and leaving it open is the way to go when tuning or you'll be bending legs on the socket.

Theres other chip burners but more money more complicated. I don't know of anywhere else that has the G2 adapters etc... Moates is the place!

It takes awhile to learn it all, if you have the desire then all the equiptment is worth the money. Be prepared to spend some time reading to get up to speed so you can ask educated questions. Some questions go without answers here because they make no sense... guy just did not spend time reading basics!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by joegreen View Post
    so the zif just makes it easier to take chips in and out all of the time? how tall is the g2 and zif combined? i want everything to stay under the cover of the ecu if that is possible. are their any other places besides moates that sells chip burning equipment? from what i have read the burn2 looks like a quality product and is better at burning chips.
    Oops, I mean G1 adapter. Mine is a 95 K1500. I used the G1 which snaps into the ECM, the stock memcal slides into it. I used the ZIF adapter then right into the G1, which does stick out of the ECM, the cover won't go on. But, I have the ECM hanging out of the glove box anyhow, once I get the tune where want it, I will remove the ZIF socket and just install the chip right in to the G1 and put the cover back on. but for now, it is mega easy to swap the chips, lift the handle, remove chip, insert new chip, lock handle down. I'm not sure which one you need to fit your ECM, someone on here will probably know and say. I also bought the HDR1 adapter which let me read the stock memcal, it was only 10 bucks so I figured what the heck. I like the burn2. Once I learned how to do it, with some help from Mark, it was mega super easy to use.

BLG

Fuel Injected!
    I would get a zip socket also, $10 flip a lever remove or install chip till you are done tunning. I wore the little legs out on 3 27sf512 installing an uninstalling, they got really thin after a lot of tunning.

I too was in the exact same boat as you about a 1 ½ years ago but I had already got taking for $200 by TBIchips before I found this site. I too was working with a 7747.

I strongly suggest the first thing you do is get a data cable without the 10k resistor (some places will try and sell you the cable with the resistor but regardless of what they tell you do not need or want the resistor with the (7747 code $42). Then pay the $30.00 fee for the registered version of TunerPro. Then read all the tutorials on this site and just start playing around with TunerPro by learning how to navigate the system and how to record data logs. But realize some of the dash values may not read correctly with your stock chip because they have to be added into the newly programed chip to function properly. But all of the main data like BLMs will be correct.

For me I found it easier to pay Davew of Old School to help me get my tune started. Then with his help and after a few chips I started understanding the process and gained enough confidences to start tuning my own VE tables. Since that time between the help of Dave, Mark and this site I have gained enough knowledge and confidences that I have since upgraded from the 7747 to a 7427 pcm and continue to learn and gain knowledge.

I keep mentioning Davew of Old School because he was the first to pm me and offer to help me out. But there are others on here as well Like Eaglemark of EFI Tune that do the same thing. Mark has also been instrumental in me learning he is always on this site willing to help anyone willing to listen to his direction.

For a fee (well worth every penny) one of these guys can help you tune your vehicle and teach you along the way ( it will speed up the learning curve considerably).

I would defiantly suggest the zip adapter. The one I used had to be soldered in. I paid Davew of Old School EFI to do mine because I didn’t want to risk running my ECU. You could try and do it yourself or do as I did and have Dave , Mark or I am sure there are others on here that could do it for you as well.

So to get started you need:
    Time to spare because it does take time to learn the process. Paying one of these guys like Dave or Mark on this site to help you will speed the learning curve up considerably.
    An obd1 cable without the 10 k resistor
    TunerPro

If you are serious about it and want to be able to burn your own chips you will also need:
    A zip socket in your 7747 and a couple 27sf512 chips and a Burn 2 (some people prefer to buy the auto-prom because of its ability to both burn / read chips and emulate). I bought the Burn 2 to burn / read chips and the ostrich 2 to emulate with. But to be honest I don’t use the Ostrich that much and could get along without it.

Do all of this and you too will be well on your way to being addicted to the tuning bug. Good luck!

I am pretty sure all the info I have provided is correct. If I have left something out or misinformed you by accident I am sure someone will chime in and correct me.

I think devind is a perfect example of someone interested and with some time and effort shows what can be accomplished in a short time. Having hired Dave W for his first chip what he got was a huge tuning 101 lesson while data logging. You would not believe how much you learn from data logging and working with a tuner. One thing we tuners need from people is ability to data log and we help get you set up. You must also be a decent mechanic or shade tree enough to follow instructions.

There's only one thing devind did wrong! He hired the wrong guy and should have been me!
    Just kidding of course as Dave W is very competent tuner and a good freind of mine.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    ok so step one is to buy a cable and start to play around with what tuner pro can do. Once i get a datalog mark or dave w can help me interpret the data and teach me what values to change for a fee? How much, all the chip burning equipment is already a little expensive for me? Thanks devind and everyone else. Right now i have some time to learn seeing as i'm only taking pre calc over the summer.
    Last edited by joegreen; 06-28-2014 at 03:13 AM.

You don't have to hire anyone. Just read and ask questions. If you want a chip sent to you for your motor, build, vehicle transplant or? Then you could hire a tuner.

Download TunerPro RT and have you read this tutorial yet?
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...must-read!-%29

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    just read it thanks great info