Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help with TM on 2009 4.8L Pickup

Need Help with TM on 2009 4.8L Pickup

Been tuning LT1 and LS cars for some time, but having difficulty with a friends 2009 4.8L 1500 Chevy Pickup. It will not spin the tires no matter what I do. I have tried several different attempted modificiations to the TM tables in both the Engine and TCM with little to no success. Not familiar with "Tip-in Torque Reduction (ft-lb) Vs. Torque Vs. TPS for all gears. Do I zero these tables or max them out to get rid of TM. I'm using TunerCat, anyone with a .cal file with successful TM removed would be appreciated for comparison or steering me in the right direction.

Thanks

Would it be possible for you to post the original / stock unmodified .cal file?

dave w

Dave - Thanks for your respone. I'm currently at work, will have to get to tuning laptop so that I can upload .cal files. Will do so then.

Thanks again for any assistance.

4.8L and TCM file attached for 2009 Pickup

I hope I did this correctly. I attached the two files in stock form.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I have downloaded the files. I'm more familiar with the the Before 2007 LSx systems. I'm sure you have already tried the setting in the picture below?

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've tried several combinations, but I'll go over those settings once I get the truck back and try several things again. I just hate trying without understanding the function. Naturally that's usually the way we have to learn with trial and error, but TM has so many variables that lend to the possibility many combos and errors.

I looked back at what i programmed. I had the Calibrations Options as you noted, but I didn't have the TCS Enable temp maxed out. It was still at -40. That would not allow TCS even with it ON, I would assume?

Quote Originally Posted by Performance SS View Post
    I looked back at what i programmed. I had the Calibrations Options as you noted, but I didn't have the TCS Enable temp maxed out. It was still at -40. That would not allow TCS even with it ON, I would assume?
    I think the challenge with programming is knowing which direction the parameter is enabled. Is the parameter enabled above or below a set point? My thinking ... the TM set point was originally set to -40C so TM would ALWAYS be ON. My thinking ... TM set to 255C the TM would ALWAYS be OFF.

dave w

Quote Originally Posted by dave w View Post
    I think the challenge with programming is knowing which direction the parameter is enabled. Is the parameter enabled above or below a set point? My thinking ... the TM set point was originally set to -40C so TM would ALWAYS be ON. My thinking ... TM set to 255C the TM would ALWAYS be OFF.

dave w
    That could very well be the correct way of thinking! I should have access to the truck again on Monday or Tuesday, I'll post the results when complete.

Thanks again!

Fuel Injected!
    Does the truck have a switch in the dash somewhere to disable the TCS ? If it does, and you have disabled the TCS with this switch, and it still won't spin the tires, then the issue could be with BTM and / or abuse mode settings.

Quote Originally Posted by LRT View Post
    Does the truck have a switch in the dash somewhere to disable the TCS ? If it does, and you have disabled the TCS with this switch, and it still won't spin the tires, then the issue could be with BTM and / or abuse mode settings.
    LRT - Yes, this truck has the Disable Switch on the dash and it performs basically the same with the TCS enabled or disabled. I zero'd the Abuse Mode Tq Reduction vs. RPM tables. BTM is not registering with my brain. Could you clue me in on the meaning of BTM? Here's the latest revisions that I intend to try on the truck tomorrow. I have tried several things in the attempt to remove TM, so I've taken the shotgun method on this tune to this point!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fuel Injected!
    BTM = Brake Torque Management. Try this tune ...

Quote Originally Posted by LRT View Post
    BTM = Brake Torque Management. Try this tune ...
    LRT - Thanks for taking the time to help! I did a comparison report against the tune you sent and the one I had prepared to try next listed above : PSS 06 Tip. It appears I have the 3 changes you suggested covered. Should get the truck tomorrow or Tuesday and give it another try. We post the outcome and finding.

Thanks again.

I just dealt with this last week in EFI live it has a few spark tables
    Maximum Spark Retard
    Power Reduction MIN timing
    Min final timing

John added them last week as i was having same issues.Ask for an update to that vdf all i did was change shift points and messed with these tables and it barks second gear most changes were to min final timing

Quote Originally Posted by roughneck427 View Post
    I just dealt with this last week in EFI live it has a few spark tables
    Maximum Spark Retard
    Power Reduction MIN timing
    Min final timing

John added them last week as i was having same issues.Ask for an update to that vdf all i did was change shift points and messed with these tables and it barks second gear most changes were to min final timing

Roughneck - Is the vehicle you are speaking of a 2009 4.8L? I just flashed it with the suggestions from those that made suggestions, along with some ideas of mine. Nothing changed the performance of the truck. It still will not spin the tires from a stop, with or without TCS on and AC off. I'm going to forward your suggestions to TC and see what he can come up with. Thanks for your input, everyone's input is appreciated.