Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Project MULE - 350 Vortec Tuned Port Injection build on 91 Suburban.

Repinning the connectors to the ECM? as in pulling the pins out and shuffling them around? Im getting into this but some good detailed info on what gets cut, added, subtracted and lengthend would be nice.

Current: '91 1500 Suburban (3rd owner), 350 TBI, 700R4

TBI system: RV Morse Bored TB - Matched FIs - Adjust. fuel psi regulator - Injector pod spacer - RV Morse Powerplate - Hypertech "salad bowl"

Full write-up here

Follow the build here

Fast355,

the Scoggin Dickey TPI vortec intake comes with the EGR plumbing so thats just a matter of welding it to the header tube.

As for the Fans I was just thinking of going with an aftermarket dual temp setup like from Hayden. I can wire them in for an AC signal.

TBI system: RV Morse Bored TB - Matched FIs - Adjust. fuel psi regulator - Injector pod spacer - RV Morse Powerplate - Hypertech "salad bowl"

Full write-up here

Follow the build here

Quote Originally Posted by pma4x4 View Post
    Repinning the connectors to the ECM? as in pulling the pins out and shuffling them around? Im getting into this but some good detailed info on what gets cut, added, subtracted and lengthend would be nice.
    It's not that hard, you need both wiring diagrams and tackle it one wire at a time!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Fast355,

the Scoggin Dickey TPI vortec intake comes with the EGR plumbing so thats just a matter of welding it to the header tube.

As for the Fans I was just thinking of going with an aftermarket dual temp setup like from Hayden. I can wire them in for an AC signal.
    The ecm controlled setup works better than anything you can probe into your radiator fins. The major energy savings is being able to turn the fans off at h8ghway speeds. The ecm adds steps to the iac to compensate for the fans turning off and on.

And the a/c compressor relay controls the compressor to shut it off at WOT or if the engine gets too hot. Also allows the ecm better idle speed control by being able to anticipate when the compressor engages and disengages.
    Last edited by Fast355; 06-13-2014 at 06:38 AM.

OK so that is one circuit I will have to add is for the fan control.

Full write-up here

Follow the build here

Fuel Injected!
    OK so that is one circuit I will have to add is for the fan control.
    Yes and the a/c relay. 3 wires that all control the ground side of a relay. My theory is if the ecm will control it why not let it. Driveability is noticeably better. I added a purge solenoid from a later model TBI truck and ran it as well. It all added up to give me 17 mpg average in roughly 50% city and 50% highway driving in a 383 TPI powered G20 van. I used the throttle like a madman too.

Just an example of how the setup worked. Sorry its an older video and taken in slightly low light. The fans were on low in the start. When I switched om the a/c, they kicked up to high speed. I was using a nissan altima cooling fan setup on a 4 core radiator. NEVER ran hot.

Video of cooling fan function with 7730.

http://s243.photobucket.com/user/Fas..._1709.mp4.html

So where do I get this third yellow ecm connector? Wouldn't I have to run this thru the firewall ?

Full write-up here

Follow the build here

Fuel Injected!
    I think you will have alot more power. I still have a SAUJPv4 Vortec TPI .bin file that I created for my heavy, undergeared G20. Probably a better starting point than any factory calibration.

Fuel Injected!
    So where do I get this third yellow ecm connector? Wouldn't I have to run this thru the firewall ?
    The yellow connector can come from one of GMs umpteen million 2.8/3.1 cars with the underdash 7730 variants or from EFI Connection.

Yes the extra wires would have to run through the TBI harness grommet and throught the firewall.

Perfect time to remove the harness, clean and reloom it anyway. Your actual harness mods under hood are not too bad. You eliminate the ESC module and bypass it. Then lengthen the TPS and IAC wires. Finally you connect 4 TPI injectors to each of the TBI injector leads. My coolant temp sensor, distributor, map, transmission, and egr wiring were untouched.

I butchered several wrecing yard harneses to get the right connectors and cut lots of extra wires. I use long pigtails and splice the wires using solder and heatshrink. Ran 2 years without issue until I set it up for an 0411.

I robbed a random 2.8 S10 in the wrecking yard of its remote mounted cruise control servo. Worked perfectly with the TPI, except when towing had a tendency to roll on the throttle quite hard on hills. However that being said cruising 70, you could hold the accelerate button for about 2-3 seconds and it would kickdown, pin the throttle open, and I would look down and the speedo would be pegged.
    Last edited by Fast355; 06-13-2014 at 07:30 AM.

I was thinking of just re using my Cruise servo.. make a relocation bracket and just get the cruise cable for the camaro.

Full write-up here

Follow the build here

Fuel Injected!
    I was thinking of just re using my Cruise servo.. make a relocation bracket and just get the cruise cable for the camaro.
    Probably easier just to find the factory part and slap it on. The TBI F-cars had the same unit as well IIRC. The last square body I did an engine swap in was a LT1 setup and I used a 88+ electronic cruise actuator. Basically eliminates the orange or black underdash box and vacuum solenoid servo setup.

Gheez man that's insane in that video to take off like that!

I am geared at 4.56 with soon to be 35s so that will mathematically put me back at stock (235/75-15s with 3.42)

Fast 355 you are giving me some good info on this build. I was starting to doubt my plan with other still yelling BIG BLOCK BIG BLOCK!

Aside the 8 injector connectors is there anything else I need to pillage from this 7165 harness? I have the entire harness including the under dash harness.

Full write-up here

Follow the build here

Fast355,

I noticed on your photobucket site you mentioned 2008 Tahoe fans. what did they go in and would you have the dimensions of those?

Full write-up here

Follow the build here

Fuel Injected!
    Fast355,

I noticed on your photobucket site you mentioned 2008 Tahoe fans. what did they go in and would you have the dimensions of those?
    Those are on my 97 Express fullsize van. The fit a 34" wide radiator. A pair of LT1 or LS1 fans fit nearly perfectly on a 28" wide radiator. The newer FWD V6 cars have a nice fan setup too. This was a set of V6 fans on my original 31" wide radiator. Needed more cooling so I stepped up to the Tahoe fans and a big block radiator.

Any idea what year Nissan Ultima fans you used?

Full write-up here

Follow the build here