Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Project MULE - 350 Vortec Tuned Port Injection build on 91 Suburban.

Project MULE - 350 Vortec Tuned Port Injection build on 91 Suburban.

(UPDATED 07-05-2014)

We have found out our Suburban (as great as it is) is just out of power when loaded down and hitting the hills.
    We decided to go with a SBC just due to the fact I found one real cheap and I don’t have to switch much of anything on the truck. Other engine ideas were explored, 5.3, 6.0 7.4 vortec and even the 8.1. The deals I ended up with for the main parts of this project just said “SBC”.

Below is the initial list of parts. I have already spoke with Compcams and TPIS. With all the info and weights I had Compcams recommended the cam in the list below. I have been doing some serious research even picked up a few reference books. Now this is not my first time building a motor but it is my first time building (per-say) a fuel injection system. If you see something wrong or I am missing please don’t flame me as this is my first initial list of something new. Input is always welcome.

Engine short block: 99 5.7 Vortec
    Heads: EQ CH350C Vortec Heads (with pre-'87 intake bolt pattern)
    Cam: compcams XR264HR #8-501-08
    GMPP Roller lifters #12499225
    Chevrolet Performance Timing Chain Sets 12371043
    Est 9.5:1 CR
    90-92 Tuned Port Injection
    Stock runners
    Stock TB
    Stock Corvette (Pre '87) TPI intake
    24lb blue top injectors
    BBK Adjustable fuel psi regulator #BBK-1714
    Speed density setup
    1227730 ECM
    All new sensors.

Other stuff
    ALDLdorid app
    Tunerpro on the laptop
    1320 Electronics ALDL Blutooth transmitter

I have read some stuff here on the forums and I would really like to avoid having to write cusom .BIN files like I have seen here. As much as I know I need to get it running. Data log with Tunerpro send that info off to someone and they will burn a proper EPROM.
    Last edited by pma4x4; 07-05-2014 at 06:54 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by pma4x4 View Post
    We have found out our Suburban (as great as it is) is just out of power when loaded down and hitting the hills.
    We decided to go with a SBC just due to the fact I found one real cheap and I don’t have to switch much of anything on the truck. Other engine ideas were explored, 5.3, 6.0 7.4 vortec and even the 8.1. The deals I ended up with for the main parts of this project just said “SBC”.

Below is the initial list of parts. I have already spoke with Compcams and TPIS. With all the info and weights I had Compcams recommended the cam in the list below. I have been doing some serious research even picked up a few reference books. Now this is not my first time building a motor but it is my first time building (per-say) a fuel injection system. If you see something wrong or I am missing please don’t flame me as this is my first initial list of something new. Input is always welcome.

Engine short block: 99 5.7 Vortec
    Heads: ‘ 99 L31 heads with valve springs redone to .520”lift provided heads are good.
    Cam: compcams XR264HR #8-501-08
    GMPP Roller lifters #12499225
    Melling double roller timing chain
    Est 9.5:1 CR
    ’89 Tuned Port Injection
    Stock runners
    Stock TB
    Scoggin dickey TPI Vortec intake #SD3816
    24lb blue top injectors
    BBK Adjustable fuel psi regulator #BBK-1714
    MAF Sensor
    1227165 ECM
    New stand alone harness from Howell EFI
    All new sensors.

Other stuff
    ALDLdorid app
    Tunerpro on the laptop
    Red River ALDL Blutooth transmitter

I have read some stuff here on the forums and I would really like to avoid having to write cusom .BIN files like I have seen here. As much as I know I need to get it running. Data log with Tunerpro send that info off to someone and they will burn a proper EPROM.

IMO since you have a computer controlled automatic and a vortec engine already, stick with OBD2 and upgrade to the 0411.

Your factory accessory brackets will not work with TPI without modification.

I have the last year of a non computer 700R4. 1991 was an overlap, the 2wd 454s saw the first year of the 4L80E. I know I will have to find new brackets. The vortec spider FI is already missing parts. and I am plus money in the pocket for the TPI stuff.

Fuel Injected!
    I have the last year of a non computer 700R4. 1991 was an overlap, the 2wd 454s saw the first year of the 4L80E. I know I will have to find new brackets. The vortec spider FI is already missing parts. and I am plus money in the pocket for the TPI stuff.
    My mistake, reading your post, I thought the truck was a 99 Suburban. Makes more sense now. Not sure why you want the junky 165' MAF system on the truck. I have messed with them in the past and the 7730 MAP based system is worlds above the MAF setup in tuneability and driveability. The MAF systems are plagued with problems from burn-off relays to an out of production MAF that is troublesome at best.

Everything I have read says the MAF is a better option (but more expensive). It can offer better mileage since it reads more accurately and is more forgiving when using larger cams and vacuum changes. The MAPs seem very sensitive and picky.

I know ECMs are not expensive, the 7165 is just what I ended up with in the whole deal.

Fuel Injected!
    I can however tell you first hand I had a similar build (ported vortecs with 2.05/1.60" valves and doug thorley tri-ys) and it pulled my 1983 G20 conversion van around with authority. My G20 had 3.08 gears, factory G80 locker, and the stock 1,600 rpm torque converter. Flooring it from a dead stop, would smoke the 295s all the way through first gear.

Fuel Injected!
    Everything I have read says the MAF is a better option (but more expensive). It can offer better mileage since it reads more accurately and is more forgiving when using larger cams and vacuum changes. The MAPs seem very sensitive and picky.

I know ECMs are not expensive, the 7165 is just what I ended up with in the whole deal.
    Definately the opposite with the TPI. I was regularly getting 21-23 mpg in the G20 with lean cruise enabled at 16:1 air/fuel ratio and had no power sacrifice. At 70-80 mph as soon as I rolled on the throttle and put a load on the motor it would come alive and accelerate. I was running S-AUJPv4 which had provisions for a wideband input, a/c clutch control and dual e-fan control.

You could run the Austrailian MAP 165 code from the old Holden 5.0 cars in your 165 ECM.
    Last edited by Fast355; 06-11-2014 at 09:31 PM.

Well I dont have either MAF or MAP sensors yet nor have I ordered the harness yet so this is still up in the air. This is just what I am looking for real world info! What cam were you using in that.

MAF of today that may be true, not the MAF sensor and computer control of yesterday your talking about using.

I'd never swap anything to a 7165... and if I had one it'd be the first thing to change!

Now recently I've learned that the Australians have a new mask made for the 7165 titled $12P but I don't know enough about it to advise...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

ok, so general consensus is to change to a MAP sensor and the 7730 ECM?

I will admit that a couple fo the articles I was reading was done in the late 90s when the vortecs just came out so it is 15 year old info alone.

Fuel Injected!
    Mark,

$12P IS GREAT!!! I have had first hand experience tuning it on a 5.7 that was swapped with a GM 846 cam, vortecs and stealth ram intake.

http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=356

I consider myself pretty good with PCs, building electronics, soldering, heck I sell Automotive electronics. but when you guys start talking .BINs and $12p stuff all I see is greek! I'm not afraid to try new stuff but I would like to have this as plug n play as possible.

Fuel Injected!
    Well I dont have either MAF or MAP sensors yet nor have I ordered the harness yet so this is still up in the air. This is just what I am looking for real world info! What cam were you using in that.
    First cam was a production LT4 corvette. 282/277 @ .004, 203/210 @ .050, .476/.479, 115* LSA, 116* ICL. The second was a custom grind from Reed 260/264* @ .008, 208/212 @ .050, .480/.507" lift w 1.6:1 rockers, 112* LSA, 108* ICL. They both ran very well. The Reed made more torque, the LT4 seemed to make more HP.

This is the one I have picked out so far.

1qaw.jpg