Thread: how to start real time tuning?

Fuel Injected!

how to start real time tuning?

My autoprom is installed on my 427 pcm, witht the stock tune on it. Everything runs fine. Did this last night. Got a log, disconnected, all good.

The next time I go into the autoprom to start tuning... that's where I am a bit lost.

How does tunerpro load the bin from the autoprom? Do I have to load the bin from my pc first? Also, once that is all setup up and I start making real time changes, do I just hit the commit button on the table editor window and that's it? Or do I have to upload to the autoprom each time?

Been searching and reading a lot, but haven't come across the exact steps need for real time tuning yet.

Thanks
    1995 Chevy C2500 Suburban 5.7 4L80-E, 16197427, BNKM, $31

Hooker Long Tubes headers, dual 2.25" exhuast, mufflers. TBI mods, Moates APU1, TunerProRT, CAI, 4 core radiator

Fuel Injected!
    I believe you must first load a bin into the autoprom. Unless you have a chip in the autoprom already loaded with a bin.

Buddrow
    If it don't fit force it, if it don't force fit f&%@ it!

Fuel Injected!
    Well yeah, got that taken care of. G1 adapter is installed and the stock bin has been read from the memcal and written to the autoprom, which is installed in the truck.

Hooker Long Tubes headers, dual 2.25" exhuast, mufflers. TBI mods, Moates APU1, TunerProRT, CAI, 4 core radiator

When you have your bin and xdf loaded in TunerPro RT and the AutoProm all hooked up and Initialized you upload the bin to the AutoProm and it's ready to run the vehicle. I always verify the bin, this way you know it is identical to one loaded. Then turn key off for a few seconds to let ECM reset and I always double check. Turn key on and watch CEL, it should come on, blink and then stay on till engine is started and go off! Then I go to Item Lists and make sure there are no error codes stored...

Once you load a bin to the AutoProm it will be there to run the vehicle till you change it.

Have you changed Mask ID to AA? this disables Checksum so changes can be made live, if not your ECM will set an error code.

There's no difference to tuning Real Time then if you were burning chips, The Emulator is more an advanced tool for a tuner to save time.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I read something about the AA, on my setup I believe I have to change $31 to $AA, easy enough.

What I'm asking about is while Live editing, are the changes I make on tables automatically changed on the Autoprom, or do I have to do something to upload the changes every time I adjust something. Basically, does hitting the Commit Changes button update the bin on the Autoprom?

Yes, Commit changes and the bin is updated in TP and the AutoProm.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Yes, Commit changes and the bin is updated in TP and the AutoProm.
    ...and at the end of the session, make sure to save the bin to disk, right?

I tend to save a lot and add version numbers on the end, V1, V2, V3 etc... throughout a tune in case I made a mistake and need to go back. But surely at the end of the day the bin get's saved.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Good idea with the version numbers.

Thanks everyone. Thanks Mark.

I'll let ya know how things go, and of course I'll have more questions soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by buddrow View Post
    I believe you must first load a bin into the autoprom. Unless you have a chip in the autoprom already loaded with a bin.

Buddrow
    Never have an EPROM in the EPROM socket of the AutoProm while emulating.

Coming up with a system that shows the progress through bins can be interesting. I think I finally have my system down, after years of trying different things. My format goes something like this: year.majorversionnumber.minorversionnumber.bin. I.E. 2014.2.9.bin I sometimes have a special note if I'm trying something very odd in the name, but not as much as I used to.

As far as the uploading to the autoprom goes, it can be both manual and automatically done.

You can have the hardware connected and not be emulating and then upload the entire bin after changes are made, be it one or many changes.

While emulating there are two ways to have changes uploaded, if you edit in the actual table of an item, you then need to hit the upload button found at the top left of that window. If you edit in a graph, then the change is uploaded automatically when you release the mouse button. You will hear a little sound when an uploaded is made. There are two sounds, one that is good, meaning that the upload was successful, and another that indicates that it was not successful, you'll figure out what the good sound is pretty quickly. ;)

As said, change the mask ID to $AA to emulate, if you don't the ECM can revert to LHM and tuning becomes impossible at that point.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    The AutoProm has built-in memory, which is accessed over a serial protocol that TunerPro knows how to speak.

You upload the bin to the emulator memory, then TP can modify the values at run time, when it's in emulation mode.
    You're going to need to also have a ALDL connection active for logging and reading the data. Don't get confused like I did and think that the computer/TunerPro can read it's own values over the gray cable. It can't. The only way you can get to them is with the serial cable.

Fuel Injected!
    this is probably a stupid question but how do i go about changing the mask id to $AA i cant figure it out
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    When you have your bin and xdf loaded in TunerPro RT and the AutoProm all hooked up and Initialized you upload the bin to the AutoProm and it's ready to run the vehicle. I always verify the bin, this way you know it is identical to one loaded. Then turn key off for a few seconds to let ECM reset and I always double check. Turn key on and watch CEL, it should come on, blink and then stay on till engine is started and go off! Then I go to Item Lists and make sure there are no error codes stored...

Once you load a bin to the AutoProm it will be there to run the vehicle till you change it.

Have you changed Mask ID to AA? this disables Checksum so changes can be made live, if not your ECM will set an error code.

There's no difference to tuning Real Time then if you were burning chips, The Emulator is more an advanced tool for a tuner to save time.

Go to the scaler named "Mask ID" and then type AA into the box. ;)
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    Go to the scaler named "Mask ID" and then type AA into the box. ;)
    thanks i will check it out

Fuel Injected!
    i am still having problems tuning in real time. i have a 6825 pcm with $od BJYL bin. i have changed the mASK TO AA but still cant get it to update the bin on the autoprom when i hit commit changes.i hit commit and nothing happens i end up having to shut off my truck unhook the ribbon cable from the autoprom because if i upload a bin the the autoprom with it hooked to the pcm the upload will fail every time when i verify it . then i upload file hook up the ribbon cable then start my truck again costs me a bunch of time.any ideas what i need to do?