Thread: Park / drive issues

Fuel Injected!

Park / drive issues

IH345 converted to EFI, 16197427 ECU. Automatic tranny.
    I have to shift it in to neutral after she is warmed up to keep her from stalling at a stop. It seesm the load of the torque converter is not compensated because she is tuned at idle in neutral.

What can I do to keep her from stalling at a stop light?

Lower idle RPM, the IH has a low RPM stall converter. Can also add some timing to make it more stable.

If you have a TunerPro RT Data Log leave a minute of stopped in drive and a minute of Park/Neutral at end of log. Has to be a fully warmed up driven rig to do this at end and we will look at IAC counts VS min air throttle plate setting.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    The IAC may not be working. Does it try to maintain a constant rpm in and out of gear? If you give it a quick throttle crack does the rpm hold-up for a second before dropping back down?

Fuel Injected!
    I do have TunerPro, but my laptop power adapter is borken at the moment. I've been raising to counteract, I never thought to lower it. What should it be set at? I've got a isky 262 cam, so it's kind of lumpy.

I will try lowering it.

lionelhutz , I am not sure what you mean. It idles. When it starts to stall, I goose it, so it goes up, then comes back down to idle. Maybe it holds for a second? I'm not sure. I've gone through multiple ECUs and even a new IAC, and it seems to work right, given the count reading on the Tunderpro Dash. But I'm not really sure what it should be like on a 7427.

It's kind of a game to get idle happy with a cam but I've done that Isky cam with auto trans and it was fine. There's lot's of things to do for idle quality with a cammed engine and an auto tranny, like more spark, lowering Proportional gains, Deadbnd, Idle Bias, making sure your IAC count is low so all fuel is mixed with as much air as possible over throttle blades... wet intake remember!

When you get a log posted we will see what we are working with and go over some of the idle tips with you!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    That doesn't sound like much of a cam with less than 210* of duration so it should be fairly easy to keep running even without a higher stall converter. It should idle at 600-700rpm no problem and drop in and out of gear without stalling or even acting like it's going to stall.

What I mean is that the IAC counts may be changing but the IAC may not be moving. If you turn the idle screw in or out does it keep the same rpm or do you simply adjust the idle rpm with the screw?

What kind of tuning was done on it to date?
    Last edited by lionelhutz; 06-10-2014 at 07:13 AM.