Thread: Looking into swapping from '7165 to '7730

Fuel Injected!

Looking into swapping from '7165 to '7730

I haven't been on here in a while so I thought I should drop in. I had been thinking about swapping from '7165 6E to '7730 8D. I have 2 ECM's but both have 6 cylinder eproms. If I remember correctly I will have to have one for a V8 for spark control, is this correct? If so, I guess the next challenger will be finding one at a reasonable price.

As it turns out, now would be a good time to make the swap. The engine and transmission is out of the car due to a broken crankshaft.

One option would be purchase a Brand New 5.0 Liter Memcal. AC Delco 16163062
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...2Ck%3A16163062

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111270144262?lpid=82

Amazon.com appears to be a decent price, compared to the Ebay listing?

dave w

Or you can use the jumper method. LHM won't be correct, and the knock filter will need to be addressed.

The way I would do the knock sensor/filter is to retain your current knock sensor and filter and add the 4.7K ohm resistor to the MEMCAL to keep the ECM happy and not throw a code. The details can be found, I think the info is in the FAQ.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    why the swap form 6E to 8D

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    Or you can use the jumper method. LHM won't be correct, and the knock filter will need to be addressed.

The way I would do the knock sensor/filter is to retain your current knock sensor and filter and add the 4.7K ohm resistor to the MEMCAL to keep the ECM happy and not throw a code. The details can be found, I think the info is in the FAQ.
    I didn't know I could do that. For what it's worth, I don't run a knock sensor now. For some reason I couldn't make it stop getting false knock retard.

Quote Originally Posted by delcowizzid View Post
    why the swap form 6E to 8D
    Because almost every time I have a 6E issue I can't figure out the first advise I get is to swap to 8D. Even Craig Moates went from 6E to 8D, I can't help but think there is an advantage somewhere since he made the swap. I have been in his car, it's a monster. Also, I made a 3.5 inch MAF housing and I can't help but wonder if the sensor is no sensitive enough for small changes in air flow. When I take off at very light throttle I can't seem to stop it from going lean.
    Plus I'm thinking about putting the Stealth Ram and MAF system on my boat.
    Last edited by Dewayne_S; 05-29-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    have a look at our aussie code $12p runs in 1227165 but is SD map based no maf to worry about stable 8192 baud aldl and fully defined xdf and adx

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by delcowizzid View Post
    have a look at our aussie code $12p runs in 1227165 but is SD map based no maf to worry about stable 8192 baud aldl and fully defined xdf and adx
    I have not but I will look into it.

$12P is great. If the '7165 would run 6 low-Z injectors, I'd likely be running it now. I have a plan to make it work though. :)
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    xdf adx and wiring diagrams here http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=356 .to convert wont take much effort remove maf and pull wiring pins from old ecu spots wire on map sensor plug and repin the wires

tpi v8 base tune download here i made for a guy few people running tweaked versions of this http://delcohacking.net/forums/downl...le.php?id=4269

Fuel Injected!
    Bringing this one back from the dead.
    Since this was posted in May of last year I have managed to brake my crankshaft. I have acquired a forged rotating assembly and saving up for a good set of heads and......... twins. Thats right, the plan now is twin turbos.
    With that being said I found a guy who had 2 '7730 ECMs listed on ebay with V8 eproms included. I messaged the guy and asked if he happen to have a harness as well.
    I now have both of those ECMs and a harness for a very reasonable price. I going to run code59 and hope I can figure out how to make a boosted engine run.

Still a couple months away from started to build but with any luck it will be complete by Mid Summer.

Fuel Injected!
    Forced induction is not gonna happen (thanks IRS). I sold my sportsman heads and they are being replaced with ProComp aluminum heads. I'm also ditching the XFI280 cam and will push my luck tuning something more aggressive.
    The block and rotating assembly are headed to the machine shop by the end of this week.