Thread: Hello

Carb and Points!

Hello

Hey I was just looking around and you guys have a ton of information here. I am currently driving a 1984 Monte Carlo(229). I wanted to see if I could connect to my car via obd1.

I have looked at the DIY post but I only have fdcba pins. Would I be working off pin D as in "If you have a old mid 1980's carbureted car with the 12 pin ALDL, you have a 12V ALDL system that works off pin D and you will need to build your own cable, see this WinALDL page"

Super Moderator
    if it is the 229 engine(should be a VIN character of 9 in the 8th spot), then yes, it is a 12V system and is read on pin D. pin C operates part of the AIR system, F can control the TCC, A is ground and B is the diagnostic mode selector.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Carb and Points!
    Wow that was fairly fast. It is a 229. I wanted to see what the computer see when it runs through tunerpro. This is because of two issues and because I am curious . Guessing what files to use.

Issue 1: The car is a little hard to start(cold) and it has a check engine light. It runs a little funky and will not run at a fast idle. If I restart the car it runs fine and goes to a fast idle.

Issue 2: The check engine will then appear during a long drive. It will disappears at stop and return later on at a steady speed. The lamp is solid. No codes when I check by bridging B and A.
    Last edited by A236Jose2; 05-27-2014 at 03:36 AM.

Super Moderator
    file needed looks to be A012.

Carb and Points!
    Thanks. Any idea as to what could be causing these issues? I should say that a "little hard to start" turns into a lot if it sits with gas. The mechanical pump was replaced with a electronic pump. If I kill the engine by running it out of fuel, it starts easier the next day or so. Turns over with ease if it is warm and has not been sitting for 1+ hours.

Super Moderator
    i haven't messed with a carb in so long, i have no idea. but if running it dry makes it easier to start afterwards, then you're getting a lot of extra fuel dumped in during a cold startup.