Thread: Things I would like to see here as a tuner

Things I would like to see here as a tuner

A lot of people who are adding EFI to a carbureted vehicle or modifying a vehicle that has EFI are doing so because they want to install a power adder. Turbo or Blower.
    To run these usually takes very specific code or ECU's. Only a handfull of the OEM codes will handle it. I would like to see a specific list of DIY solutions for boost tuning for each auto manufacturer mentioned.

I really like Code59 on the GM ecu's. Cheap and powerful. How about a list of vehicles that had usable ECU's for this? Memcal's to be collecting ?

Just my 2 cents. Happy to help out where I can. :D
    odd things the police have said to me; "you can't drive that on the road", "I like your cow", "I didn't think you would pull over so quick"

Re: Things I would like to see here as a tuner

Sounds like a good idea and since you seem to have some knowledge are you willing to take on this project? :mrgreen:

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I think Six is probably up to speed already on the GM's - at the least he knows his code 59 hardware and he probably researched other options so let's ask him to do that part. If anyone else here has knowledge of a particular brand or platform in regards to adding EFI support for boost - let's have a show of hands - for the rest, sure I'll do some research on the common man's answer to boost tuning and post my findings if you like. I'll start with Ford since that's on my 'to do' list already ;)
    odd things the police have said to me; "you can't drive that on the road", "I like your cow", "I didn't think you would pull over so quick"

I hadn't thought about adding info on the hardware side to my planned boost conversion write-up, but that is a great idea.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

So Six - in your dealings with the Z-car guys do you have a handle on the common methods of managing boost on the Nissans ?

Carb and Points!
    I see that these are older Threads that i'm looking for so I was wondering if they were updated and where can I find them? I guess I boo bod when trying to get into code 59, I tried several different approches and never got back in or email answer. just wondered if someone can help me get back in?

Fuel Injected!
    In general, the Z-car guys will move to a completely different ECU than stock, as the stock ECU is the same system used on the VW beetle. The Turbo ZX ecu is often used up to about 12lbs of boost on a completely stock engine with acceptable results, but above that, the move to the 300ZX or Infiniti M30 ECU is just about the only route used to stay with a Nissan ECU.

Six_shooter ran on the Delco system too, so clearly that's a viable option. Most boosted Z's are still running stock ECU's but the ones that aren't are a mix of Haltec, Megasquirt, WolfEFI, etc.

The Nissan Consult-port equipped ECU's can be modified to run Nistune, which is the route a LOT of the 300ZX guys go to. I really don't know much about it beyond that.

Carb and Points!
    After trying several times I may get it right. I didn't grow up using computers and after rereading my former post it doesn't make a lot of sense, an all nighter and a lot of coffee. My project is a 92 vette that I put twin turbos on and I am lookong for the correct direction to go.