Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: code59 tuning issues

Fuel Injected!
    i have yet to have a tune no get any knock counts at all..

i will pay to have someone try to tune this piece of s***

no matter what i do it knocks SOMEWHERE...

one 3rd gear pull can have 0 knock, let off the gas slow down, do it again same IAT and it spikes up to 7 degrees retard before i have to let out. Im so sick of this thing. I can induce several degrees of timing reduction, add several timing doesnt seem to matter. Air fuel i can rich it up, lean it out, rpm or psi level may change where it happens but still happens. How fast the boost ramps in seems to effect it, COLDER weather seems to make it worse (im still trying to wrap my head around this one)

i 100% dont get it. I understand there may be picky engines or spots but this is rediculous. Ive made over 100 tunes. how can it be so unconsistant? I can record two back to back logs, SAME IAT, SAME A/F ratio and same point and have one log knock and the other not. Can you not make a SAFE LOW HP TUNE????? i seriously cant beat on this car without a frickin laptop...

I will pay anyone to tune this thing, name a number jesus.

Fuel Injected!
    what sort of plug gap are you running to big or to cold plugs can missfire which makes the knock sensor go crazy

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by delcowizzid View Post
    what sort of plug gap are you running to big or to cold plugs can missfire which makes the knock sensor go crazy
    I will verify today or tomorrow and let you know

Administrator
    Have you absolutely determined for certain this is real knock you're dealing with?

$58 will show random jumps in knock counts. Constantly increasing counts is knock. Random, usually large, increases are not. If knock counts are showing up one time and not the next, and all conditions are the same, something other than knock is likely.

Get a small amplifier and attach it to the knock sensor to listen to the engine. Watch the ecm readings at the same time. If the ecm is saying there's knock but you can't hear anything through the sensor, then you know it's not knock. Or try connecting another knock sensor to the ecm and to ground, but don't install it. If the ecm indicates knock when the sensor can't possibly sense knock, then it's not knock.

Ive made over 100 tunes. how can it be so unconsistant?
    just because you don't recognize a pattern doesn't mean it's inconsistent. If you can do the same thing every time, run up to boost, decelerate, accelerate, and see knock then it's consistent. Does it continue to show knock if you let off the throttle some? Do the knock counts continue to increase? What does the O2 show when this is happening? Is boost consistent or is it falling off?

I think you and I are very different when it comes to problem solving. Once I knew the basics were in place, that spark and fuel were being supplied properly and that no obvious mechanical issues were present, I'd be following a logical path to determine whether or not the displayed knock is software issues or actually sensed. If it's not software I'd be working to determine if it's knock or a mechanical noise. I would not be randomly swapping parts, making huge changes, or otherwise guessing. I think this difference is enough to cause me to want to help you solve this, but I don't believe I'd want to try a tune without spending a bunch of time going over basics.

Fuel Injected!
    ok so as far as knock counts, i really dont pay a ton of attention to that. I really only look at the knock retard. If its 4 or less, i try to ease out of throttle (if im not passing a car on the highway or something).. if it jumps to 5 i immediatly let out of it.

If it gets knock retard it will usually slowly decay away... if it get a few degrees usually it will even if i stay in the gas, but sometimes it will back off a hair then jump up another 4 or so degrees then i let out..

Also when i let out it will climb back down to 0 pretty fast, or almost instantly.. Sometimes when if i dont have any knock at all and let off it will blip on knock retard for a second or so.

Boost does back off when the retard comes on as what seems a by product... also ive noticed, sometimes when my boost hits the desired boost limit and it goes back down about 2-3 psi (i still dont have boost control completely dialed in) THat seems to cause knock retard at times..

Got any more info on attaching a some kind of device onto the knock sensor to listen?

I hope to check the plugs tomorow and use feeler gauges this time to get a specific gap. Ive been driving this car pretty hard last few weeks, going through a tank of gas every week at least, Im am curious if they will show any hard evidence of detonation this go around or not. I will post pictures if they do, or if im not sure.

Administrator
    Watch knock counts. That's the signal that the ecm should be using to retard spark. Knock counts are how the ecm records what it hears with the knock sensor and they can help you pinpoint what's happening.

The knock sensor is a microphone. If you have a small amplifier you can connect a cable to the sensor and listen to the engine.
    Good article here... and leads to a followup with a DIY detector.
    http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0348

Fuel Injected!
    Hey! Sorry for the cliffhanger... After my last post the Weather went bitterly cold then i ended up getting sinus surgey so ive been out of commision for a while. Ill post back up when i get back to it.