Thread: Hi Reading a lot in here, so much info... But need some help.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Carb and Points!

Hi Reading a lot in here, so much info... But need some help.

Hello,
    To start out, thanks for all of the support and work that has been put into this program and the chips. I've used winaldl a while back and made my own cable that worked well. I have got the chip below from ebay and set everything up according to the site. I have a 1988 Chevy 1500 Silverado originally it had a 350 5.7L TBI. It was replaced in 2003 with a 5.7L 350 (L05) replacement motor. Just about the same specs.
    My question is that it seems no matter what I do, I can't get this thing to work. I've hooked it to A (grd) and E (data).
    I've downloaded the latest FTDI driver, followed the directions to hooking it up and used different files, The one I have been trying to use the most is $42 and 1227747, which is the file I'm pretty sure I have. I start the program (Tunerpro), start the truck and plug in the cable to the computer. The TX & RX lights come on when I first plug it into the computer, but after they blink a few times both lights go out and then nothing. I tried just hooking up the RX and NOT the TX and get the same results. I've also tried starting the program, plugging in the cable then starting the truck. The cable tests good not plugged into the truck and gives an error when plugged in, which is normal from what I have read.

Any insight to what I'm doing wrong?

My ALDL Port
    IMG_20140401_163845.jpg

Here is the chip I got from ebay. The cable I have is connected to the GRD and the RX (160 Baud )
    USB to Serial 1.jpg

Here is a picture of my old chip that was replaced with the JET chip # 28813-S, When the new engine was installed. The Mechanic said it would work good with the new engine.
    IMG_20140424_155052.jpgIMG_20140424_155116.jpg

Here are the stats for the engine I have now if it helps. (Copied it right from the PDF on the website when I bought it)

Thanks in advance.

9.6:1 COMPRESSION RATIO
    CAMSHAFT SPECS AS FOLLOWS:
    HYDRAULIC ROLLER CAMSHAFT
    INTAKE LIFT-.359" * EXHAUST LIFT.384" *
    INTAKE DURATION @.050-186.5 * EXHAUST DURATION @.050-193.8
    LOBE CENTER SEPERATION -110.3
    CAMSHAFT MECHANICAL SPECS:
    INTAKE VALVE OPENS @ -16.9 BTDC * INTAKE VALVE CLOSES @ 23.4ATDC * INTAKE LOBE CENTERLINE - 110.3
    EXHAUST VALVE OPENS @ 25.6BBDC * EXHAUST VALVE CLOSES @ -11.9 ATDC * EXHAUST LOBE CENTERLINE - 110.3
    CYLINDER HEAD SPECS:
    CASTING NUMBER 14102193
    SWIRL PORT INTAKE PORT DESIGN
    65.3cc COMBUSTION CHAMBER
    1.94" INTAKE 1.50" EXHAUST VALVE
    VALVE SPRING PART NUMBER IS 3911068 (SAME SPRING USED WITH THE OLD 300H.P 350 CRATE)
    INSTALLED HEIGHT 1.70" PRESSURE @ INSTALLED HEIGHT IS 80 LBS * PRESSURE WITH VALVE OPEN IS 267 LBS.
    THESE SPRINGS ARE GOOD FOR .550" LIFT.

Attached are a few pictures that could be helpful?

From Tool menu select Preferences

From the General Tab set file associations to as show. (.adx, .xdf, .bin)

From Data Acq./Emulation Tab select the Com Port you set up the USB Cable. Maybe you are not using the newer type USB ALDL cable? I'm thinking the homemade ALDL cable would be Com 1?

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Carb and Points!
    Thanks Dave, I'll give it a try.

Fuel Injected!
    I did this on the cable I built, using it for 8192 baud rate though? Same Arduino FT232RL USB to Serial Module that you are using.

"connect the RXD and TXD pins together(solder would be my method), then connect that circuit to the ALDL pin M, then connect the ground pin on the converter to the ground pin in the ALDL connector (pin A)."

Post #20 of Uber-easy DIY USB ALDL Cable
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...DL-Cable/page2

I also ran into the same issue you are having trying to run the laptop (with a bad battery) off of a 12 volt adapter plugged into the cigarette lighter socket. Would work fine using laptop plugged into 110 volt in the shop. New laptop battery cured the issue. If I use the 12 volt adapter while data-logging, it still causes issues now and then.

Good luck, I hope you get it up and running.
    Last edited by Woods; 05-11-2014 at 06:21 AM.

Carb and Points!

No pin M

Thanks Woods,
    I actually don't have a pin M on my aldl port. I hooked the wires up to pins A and E. Those are my only options but thanks for the reply. I can connect to E & A on my old cable I made for the winaldl program and IT works good with the serial port on my OLD computer. But with the new laptop, I just can't get this one to read. Any further suggestions are still appreciated, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Woods View Post
    I did this on the cable I built, using it for 8192 baud rate though? Same Arduino FT232RL USB to Serial Module that you are using.

"connect the RXD and TXD pins together(solder would be my method), then connect that circuit to the ALDL pin M, then connect the ground pin on the converter to the ground pin in the ALDL connector (pin A)."

Post #20 of Uber-easy DIY USB ALDL Cable
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...DL-Cable/page2

I also ran into the same issue you are having trying to run the laptop (with a bad battery) off of a 12 volt adapter plugged into the cigarette lighter socket. Would work fine using laptop plugged into 110 volt in the shop. New laptop battery cured the issue. If I use the 12 volt adapter while data-logging, it still causes issues now and then.

Good luck, I hope you get it up and running.

Carb and Points!
    Still nothing. I've tried everything I know with the suggestions given, but nothing yet. Even tried de-soldering the RX &TX and hooking them up individually. still I'm stumped. Thanks for the help though, I will press on to find a way to get it to work. Any other suggestions are welcome.
    Last edited by Leo5045; 09-15-2014 at 04:54 AM.