it's about as boring as it sounds, but yes, i kind of narrated a demo of how i solved a very long-lived issue with the 95MC.

it's REALLY common for the 95-99 monte carlo and 95-01 lumina fuel guages to act really jerky with anything less than a ~90% full tank and anything more than ~10% left in the tank, the needle will run into the minimum and maximum stops as the fuel sloshes around in the tank. i'm told this is actually a really widespread issue on GM vehicles in the 90s, but i don't have an exact list yet.

now, this was never an issue with the earlier W-bodies, as they used the exact same tank and fuel level sender from 88-96(97 on the cutlass supreme). the difference was in the fuel guage, the older stuff had some type of friction element in it that physically slows down needle movement and prevents it from jumping around when fuel moves around in the tank. when GM designed the 95+ monte carlo/lumina clusters, they decided to leave that out entirely and rely on the tank baffling to keep the guage relatively smooth. turns out, it doesn't work very well at all as i don't think i've ever seen one that wasn't jerky, even on low-mile vehicles. 97+ vehicles have a slightly different setup, as the sender is read by the PCM, which drives the fuel guage, but still have the same issue.

the solution i eventually ended up with was an electrical one, since i couldn't see any realistic and long-term method of slowing down the needle via friction, the guage just won't allow for it that i can see. i setup my anti-slosh module to have 64 selectable settings(set via DIP switches) since i don't know what i'll want to end up with when i take it off of the bench and put it in-car.

random thread topic, i know.