Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M715 to 5.7 TBI Build

Electronic Ignition!

M715 to 5.7 TBI Build

Here's what I've got to work with:

67 M715 5.89 gears 4 speed T98 divorced transfer case (np200 or np205 can't remember) all stock uncle sam issued all the way to the 24v electrical. The Inline 6 180hp "Tornado" dropped a valve. I'm spending my time on a conversion not a rebuild 6 that gets 8 mpg. Just want a setup that starts easy and gets me around without trouble. No hotrod'n or monster truck show'n for me, dont wanna spill my ice tea!

Donor vehicle is a 1988 Chevy P/U 350 TBI 4x4 standard trans with a blown head gasket. $800 even included the title, striped it and sold it for a quick $500 (looking back I should have rebuilt it and picked apart something else!)

Threw this vortec 5.7 in the mix, came out of a rolled suburban, gave both sets of heads to the local head expert and decided to keep the 88 heads because I already have an intake that fit. The area's Chevy hotrod authority told me I'll never get the TBI to work with the newer cam. I understand now that the 88 heads are the worst flow ever, wish I found this site earlier! Suggestions on cam issue?

While it was out I yanked a under dash A/C out of a 84 Jeep Wagoner

Installed with a coat of Japanese plastic model paint I found at a hobby shop.

Back to the EFI stuff, that's that we're here for right?

I removed the two EGR circuits, one actuated a solenoid vacuum valve and the other was i EGR sensor (i think)
    Looks like I need to run some hot when key on/start wires. My M715 has an ignition switch only with a keyed battery master switch.

And here we go!!!

Electronic Ignition!
    Cheap ebay headers
    What size is that plug? Broke off an extension I ground down, didn,t budge, I think the water temp sencor goes in there!? I installed a cheap oil sending unit back by the end of the headers to drive a replacement gauge set, out with the old.....

Do I need a heated O2? I read where some install them on their rigs on this site.
    Last edited by maingear; 04-29-2014 at 07:27 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by maingear View Post
    Cheap ebay headers
    What size is that plug? Broke off an extension I ground down, didn,t budge, I think the water temp sencor goes in there!? I installed a cheap oil sending unit back by the end of the headers to drive a replacement gauge set, out with the old.....

Do I need a heated O2? I read where some install them on their rigs on this site.
    Water temp sensor goes there.....Northern Tool & Equipment sells a pipe plug remover set. Pull off the header, pull out a propane torch and a small birthday cake candle. Heat up the plug with a torch and then shove the candle on top and let it melt into the threads. The wax will quench into the threads. Then remove the now lubricated plug with the remover.
    Last edited by Fast355; 04-29-2014 at 07:50 PM.

Very cool build, I've always had a thing for the 715's
    68 Cadillac, 472 & TH400 w/7.4L TBI and EBL **sold**

93 K1500 short step, 5.7 & NV4500 and EBL

68 C10 LQ4/TKO swapped

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast355 View Post
    ...............remove the now lubricated plug with the remover.
    Thank you for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by blue68deville View Post
    Very cool build, I've always had a thing for the 715's
    The local FD had one and I climbed all over it when I was a kid. It had a water tank in the bed and was set up to put out brush fires. It was so difficult to steer, that no one wanted to take it out! I fixed that with a power steering box from a wagoner.(the 88 chevy truck P/S lines hoked up with no modification!) This one came from a Missouri Forestry auction. sat in a fire station for 30 years.

Electronic Ignition!
    A word about mating a 350 to a T98. I kept the T98 because its tough and I wanted to keep the PTO driven winch (PTO shaft-oily on the right, front drive shaft-green on the left). I bought an adapter kit with two plates. They had no orientation markings. No big deal except I was trying to use the 88 bellhousing and the holes didn't fit! Turns out it took an older pattern which required an older starter type. I added the 88 hydraulic clutch cylinders. It gave me more room when the linkage was removed.

Motor mounts bolted to the factory frame mounts. They were from something like a 60's truck, it attaches to the frame with a single bolt.

Last edited by maingear; 04-30-2014 at 06:06 PM.

Electronic Ignition!
    Here is how it sits now with my buddy in it. (He has a 2000 Jeep TJ that is getting a 95 corvette engine this fall. His engine and trans came in last week.

I'm ready to get this truck finished!

I need some advice on a couple of things...

1. I read where vss helps driveability. On this combo I have to pull the speedo cable out of the New Process 200 transfer case and install a disk looking VSS pickup after a short speed cable (no room between xcase and body) and get a 3 3/4" generic gauge that will drive off this VSS signal. Does sound right?
    2. Which heated O2 do I need to get for the 88 harness?
    3. Has anyone experienced the mix of 1227747 with factory non 88 cam(will look the engine # up Saturday and post which cam is in it)?

Thanks,

Justin

There's a vss that goes in-line with the speedo cable, I got mine from Jags That Run. Your original speedo cable attaches to it, it's a pass thru. I am using #1

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Spe...eedometer.html
    68 Cadillac, 472 & TH400 w/7.4L TBI and EBL **sold**

93 K1500 short step, 5.7 & NV4500 and EBL

68 C10 LQ4/TKO swapped

Fuel Injected!
    That's just fricking cool. Thanks for sharing.

billygraves
    Last edited by billygraves; 06-30-2019 at 06:26 PM.

billygraves
    Last edited by billygraves; 06-30-2019 at 06:26 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by maingear View Post
    3. Has anyone experienced the mix of 1227747 with factory non 88 cam(will look the engine # up Saturday and post which cam is in it)?

Justin
    I'm pretty sure this thread is the same build as what you are dealing with.
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...I-Heads-Intake

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by blue68deville View Post
    There's a vss that goes in-line with the speedo cable……http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Spe...eedometer.html
    The parts/information I was needing was in your link, chapter 12 filled in the blank for me, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by billygraves View Post
    I will be glad to help you. I sent you a PM so respond through that.
    Done

Quote Originally Posted by Woods View Post
    I'm pretty sure this thread.....
    Perfect!

Seriously, where else can you find experts like this!?! Thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by billygraves View Post
    I Think, if I remember right, the ECM you want to use will only transmit data in 10k mode. I would have to check. There are some things you should know BEFORE using the 10k mode.. like the mode blows away most internal closed loop timers, sets the timing advanced via 10 degrees and will induce engine stalling. This mode wa sfor the factory to test the ECM systems and combos and wanted this. It was never intended for use otherwise but it is.
    Not the 1227747, others do but not this one. It does not require 10K to record data, 10K actually messes up data as you stated.

No 10k put's out good data!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Electronic Ignition!
    Good! I have no idea what 10k is, just lucked out by using the 88 truck!

BTW -Here was the pump install
    http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inj...ump-Conversion