Thread: Swap from 4.3 cpi to 5.7 tbi

Carb and Points!

Swap from 4.3 cpi to 5.7 tbi

Hey everyone I was directed to this forum from the 1967to1972chevytrucks.com so I hope I can maybe get more information on this swap.

I have a 1993 s10 blazer 4x4 with a 4.3 CPI and a 4l60e transmission. I want to try and swap a tbi 350 of the same year so that I don't have to worry about buying a stand alone controller for my tranny. I understand this will not be a plug and play deal but I just want to make sure I'm kind of in the ball park.

With the v6 hittin 200000 miles I just want to know options and I just don't really want to buy a other, maybe just first Gen love or something. But is this swap possible without going completly extreme to the point where everything needs to be rewired or is it to the point where a good amount of my harnesses could be salvaged.

I am also trying to make it stock so that all my gauges work and it hopefully will be able to work with my tranny. Its not gonna be a race engine and it won't be beat on. Just want an engine where parts are easier to maintain and not have to worry about CPI hoses bursting and leaking. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance everyone

Should be a piece of cake. Swap the TBI and the memcal and you should be good to go. IIRC, you should have a 6895 ECM which runs $0D and that runs a 4l60E with a 350. If you have 200K on the clock, you may want to think about doing something about the 4L60E. Most guys on here will probably tell you to use a 4L80e instead and run $0E code. If the 350 is built, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to look into.
    Square body stepsides forever!!!

Administrator
    The mechanicals of the 4X4 V8 swap are going to be more challenging than the electrical portion. Most of the gauges are driven by separate sending units which can be put into the V8 engine. The harness could be salvaged with modifications although you might have issues with harness length and I know a few circuits need to be added. The V6 trans is not built to withstand as much torque as the V8 but if you don't abuse the vehicle this may not be a problem. I've only had to repair a few failed CPI hoses and those vehicles were high mileage, but it's definitely not a fun job. If you go through with this I have some parts that I built but never used for a V8 S10 build that didn't happen.

Is the CPI the main reason for wanting to get rid of the 4.3, or do you just want a V8?
    If your not wanting a difficult swap, why not swap out the CPI intake for a TBI intake and keep the 4.3, just convert it to TBI?
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Carb and Points!
    Thanks guys for the responses,Jim the 4l60e was rebuilt maybe about 50000 miles ago so that why i didnt want to mess with that much but i have definatly thought about the 4l80e to replace it. 1prodject2many i know swapping a v8 into a 4x4 is definatly gonna be a challenge, but it is very nice to know that the i would need to lenghthen the wires and adding circuits and thank you for the offer for v8 s10 parts. JeepsAndGuns the CPI is not really the main reason i want to swap, i just wanted the v8 cause it be alot easier to find v8 parts than 4.3 parts in my neck of the woods. i thought about just converting my cpi to tbi but i also want a little more power than the 4.3 would give me. Thank you guys for the responses.

Fuel Injected!
    I have a couple of JTR V8 Conversion Manuals that may be of help to you.

V-8 Conversion Manual for Chevy S10 Trucks, 14th edition, 2001 printing
    http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Che..._S-10_V-8.html

V-8 Conversion Manual for Chevrolet TPI & TBI Engine Swap, 11th Edition 2001 printing
    http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Che...I_TBI_V-8.html