Thread: Antique Steel In Tank Pump Conversion

Electronic Ignition!

Antique Steel In Tank Pump Conversion

I read where in tank pumps were superior to out of tank electric pumps. A little planning and work would save me some money (out of tank electric pumps can be expensive)

Don't kill yourself by cutting into a tank that is not properly prepared. I prefer to steam clean the tank after the fuel is drained before any work is done to a tank. Get help.

This tank came out of an 1988 chevy p/u. I needed that three prong locking flange as well as a proper sealing surface that the big o-ring sits on. This tank and the connector was snagged at a salvage yard for $10.

Electronic Ignition!

Here you can see the piece that was cut out, them carefully hammered flat. See where the water that collects in the ring can drain out?

There was a baffle in this tank, note spot weld location. There was a fuel sending unit at the ring's new location. Also see the ring's flange. This will provide a bonding surface between the tank and ring.

Electronic Ignition!

With the bends straightened out so the pump's pre-filter is 1/4" off the bottom, I double checked the position before I drilled the ring first, then used it as a template to drill through into the tank. Deburred holles drilled and cleaned tank. Applied a commonly avalible fuel proof epoxy, then screwed the assembly together.

Electronic Ignition!
    Here is a shot of the unit tucked under the bed, between stringer. Ensure rubber padding is attached between tank and bed.

Fuel lines are aircraft 3/8 (AN6) tubing and russell metric to AN6 adapter. Also used twist-loc from tank to hard lines. No vent lines needed due to venting through water fording kit (vent line runs from filler neck to engine air cleaner).

Last edited by maingear; 04-28-2014 at 12:32 AM.

Electronic Ignition!
    Thanks

I looked all over for an off the shelf ring, rather than cutting one out, and couldn't find one for that unit. Still have steel splinters in my hand from the tank's soft metal :/

Justin