Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: second opinion before i turn the key

second opinion before i turn the key

Ok, a little background first. Got the truck from a junkyard, 1992 K2500 HD. 5.7, 4l80e, 4.10's, $85 ecm. Engine wasn't original, ended up spinning a bearing a year later. Got another 5.7 from a different junk yard. Decided to tear it apart and rebuild it. turns out it had been rebuilt before. So I now have a 357sbc, with ported stock heads, 2.02/1.60 valves, flat top pistons, new crank, new rods, new roller rockers and springs, summit sum-1102 cam, long tube headers, edelbrock torkerII intake, 454 TBI with an adapter plate to bolt onto the carb intake, and 65# injectors (i also have the 454 injectors). I ran the intake/carb/injector set up on the first motor and it ran wonderful. But with the new engine upgrades, especially the cam, the chip NEEDED redone. I've done some initial changes thanks to the forum, and was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions, and if they could peruse over what my file before i plug the chip in and start the truck for the first time. I got a new fuel pump too that puts out 15psi, and a few spare TBI's so i can make up an AFPR for fine tuning once we get the truck rolling. thanks for any and all feed back guys!!

Would you be willing to post your files for us to look at? .bin / .adx / .xdl

dave w

Oh shit haha I forgot to upload it all. I'll get it uploaded when I get back home.

Here ya go
    Attached Files Attached Files

Can I ask why the 65 lb/hr injectors are being used over stock ones that flow more?

Stock should be 74 lb/hr or 80 lb/hr...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I'm wondering about the math used to figure out the BPW of 103?

A stock $85 5.7 liter has a BPW of 135. I'm not sure a BPW of 103 is correct (seems to low) for a 5.7 liter using 65 lb injectors / 15 PSI fuel pressure.

The attached .bin file is a baseline performance chip I did for a stock $85 5.7 liter. The added 4 degrees to the entire spark table for the stock engine might be something that would help your engine?

dave w

I put together a BPW calculator for Microsoft Excel.

dave w
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry for takin so long to reply. We were buttoning up the truck. When I did the math for bpw, I did it with the 454 injectors in mind. Only reason the police injectors are in is because that's what I ran with the stock motor. I haven't had a chance to look at the file you uploaded, hope to tonight. We started the truck yesterday and it at least ran haha. So I guess now it's time to get serious with the new burn.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Can I ask why the 65 lb/hr injectors are being used over stock ones that flow more?

Stock should be 74 lb/hr or 80 lb/hr...
    The STOCK injectors were 55 lb/hr lol. I have the 454 injectors in the garage, planned on putting them in once the motor was all hooked up. The 65 lb/hr are in it because the intake/tbi setup is same I used on the stock 5.7. But after all the mods (cam, valves, bore) I figured I'll have to use the 454 injectors.

dave according to your worksheet if i use the 454 injectors, my bpw should be around 106. i had used a spreadsheet mark had posted in another forum to come up with the 103. i guess i should have clarified all of that in more detail. I planned on using the 454 injectors, but I wanted a second opinion that it was the wiser choice.

Pretty sure that is Dave's BPW calculator included in the spreadsheet you got from me. It's the only one I run.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    dave according to your worksheet if i use the 454 injectors, my bpw should be around 106. i had used a spreadsheet mark had posted in another forum to come up with the 103. i guess i should have clarified all of that in more detail. I planned on using the 454 injectors, but I wanted a second opinion that it was the wiser choice.
    The worksheet calculator is a good estimate for initial BPW. It's common for the actual injector flow / rated injector flow / programmed injector flow (.bin) to all be different values. I think the difference BPW 103 vs. 106 is 5.7 liters vs. 5.85 liters.

dave w

How do you figure out the duty cycle percentage for the calculator? Obviously it's gonna be different through the powerband, should I just say 100%? Got chip burned and been workin on the VE table. Runs great so far, but it seems like it's lacking at wot and 2800+. Thought maybe my bpw is to low

How do you figure out the duty cycle percentage for the calculator? Obviously it's gonna be different through the powerband, should I just say 100%? Got chip burned and been workin on the VE table. Runs great so far, but it seems like it's lacking at wot and 2800+. Thought maybe my bpw is to low
    Duty cycle is not in the BPW calculator. Injector flow (requirements) must be known before using the BPW calculator.

Increasing the BPW value will provide more fuel for the entire VE Table. It's possible you will need to increase the BPW to provide more fuel for WOT 2800+ RPM's. It's very likely you will need to adjust the VE after changing the BPW.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    The STOCK injectors were 55 lb/hr lol. I have the 454 injectors in the garage, planned on putting them in once the motor was all hooked up. The 65 lb/hr are in it because the intake/tbi setup is same I used on the stock 5.7. But after all the mods (cam, valves, bore) I figured I'll have to use the 454 injectors.
    I was thinking about using the bigger 5.7 65 lb/hr too for my build, my cam is just a little hotter then the K1102 your using and I didn't know if that was more lb/hr then I needed, I will be following this thread.
    Last edited by 89-S-dime; 05-29-2014 at 04:47 AM.