Thread: Fiero 7730 ecm swap with distributor

Carb and Points!

Fiero 7730 ecm swap with distributor

I have a 1987 fiero that I have done a 7730 ecm swap in it. I need help finding a bin file that will run it, the engine is a 2.8 stroked to 3.4 and transmission is a original auto.

Super Moderator
    you'll need to change AT MOST 3 settings because of a distributor in place of DIS.

which mask are you running/planning on?
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Carb and Points!
    I plane on running the $88 mask.

Super Moderator
    if you start with one of the F-body BINs, you'll already have one setup for a distributor on the iron-head engine, which is actually a decent starting place.

Carb and Points!
    I have been trying that $88 bin and I don't know what all to change just to get it to run .

Super Moderator
    an F-body BIN should start and run without issue on a dizzy 2.8..... it won't be optimal, but it should do well enough.

unless VATS is interfering, in which case, disable these two flags:

VATS (X=Yes)
    46 - VATS

you can probably get away with just the first one, but i would do both.

Carb and Points!
    O ok yea I'll give that a try and then go from there .

So you heavily bored the engine too? Stock "stroker" crank, the 3.1/3.4 crank using stock bore of a 2.8L block makes a 3.1, 3.2 with a .4mm bore. I suppose you could offset grind the crank for an even longer stroke, but that would require custom pistons that would then move the wrist pin very high on the piston, and it's too high IMO on the stock piston as it is.

As said an F-body bin from a 1990 to 1992 3.1 should get you up and running without issue, it'll be as close to your application as you can get with a stock bin.

Other bins can be made to work with some minor adjustments though.
    Last edited by Six_Shooter; 04-24-2014 at 04:04 PM.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Carb and Points!
    Yea the pistons were special ordered and the machine shop built the engine. And I put top end on.
    I also got the car running good enough to move around yard for now the next step is the turbo, I was told that I would have to do a dis conversion on the car though so I'm looking for a crank trigger kit for it know.

Why would you have to do a DIS conversion if you already have it running?
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Carb and Points!
    Some people have told me that I cant run the car with the turbo on it with out changing to dis. I don't know why some say the mask that has the 2 and 3 bar maps are only for dis. Im new to this kind of stuff so I really don't know if that's true.

Not true, well not entirely true.

The stock $8F bin (Turbo TGP) was originally equipped with DIS, so it would be easiest to use that code with a DIS set-up. However there are paramaters that can be changed that would allow the use of a dizzy.

That being said I will suggest you steer clear of $8F, IMO there has not been enough time spent in disassembling the code and getting a full XDF to be able to tune an engine to full potential. My experience with $8F has been less than enjoyable.

The Turbo Sunbird/Grand AM and Syclone/Typhoon used dizzies in stock form, and IMO is a MUCH better code than $8F. The stock code for these cars is $58, and while it has some quirks is pretty well documented and can be tuned fairly easily for not stock applications.

Beyond that there this a variation of $58 called $59 or "code59" (www.code59.org), that uses a 3 BAR MAP sensor (a requirement), utilizes WBO2 closed loop control huge VE and SA maps, along with many other options.

Both $58 and $59 in stock form are set for dizzy, however, I as well as some others have used both codes with DIS as well.

In the end I would recommend the swap to DIS, but not because it's some artificial "requirement", but because in my experience going from dizzy to DIS made a noticeable improvement in the way the engine runs. I did this swap on my Turbo Nissan L28, using $59.

Carb and Points!
    Ok that is what I needed to know I will do the dis when the kit gets here but also how do you wire up a wide band o2 to the 7730 computer?

I'm running a 7730 in my Fiero but I am running it stock 2.8 and a MT.

Ryan Gick - sp1@gmtuners could burn you a chip if you are interested in purchasing a tune.

Carb and Points!
    I will keep that in mind im ordering last of parts for turbo tom.