Thread: EST problem

EST problem

I hope someone has an idea for me because I have tried everything I know.
    my truck died and was towed home. i found no spark I replaced the ignition control module. the engine now starts, but runs like crap backfires through the intake and I have to depress the throttle about 1/2 inch for it to start. 7747 ecm stock 350 engine th400.no trouble codes, fuel pressure 13 psi/30 psi with return line pinched.
    iac, tps, cts,i tried 2 known good ecms, all check out no vacuum leaks. dist set to 0 degrees. what has me stumped it acts like a timing issue and when I unplug the est bypass connector the engine dies every time. i manually advance the distributor about 20-30 degrees it runs a whole bunch better it still pops and sputters, but still dies when I unplug the connector. i have tried 3 different icm's there are no significant voltage drops that I can find.there were no signs/symptoms before it stopped running, it just stopped like I turned it off.
    if anyone has an idea fire away

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by kunsan1987 View Post
    I hope someone has an idea for me because I have tried everything I know.
    my truck died and was towed home. i found no spark I replaced the ignition control module. the engine now starts, but runs like crap backfires through the intake and I have to depress the throttle about 1/2 inch for it to start. 7747 ecm stock 350 engine th400.no trouble codes, fuel pressure 13 psi/30 psi with return line pinched.
    iac, tps, cts,i tried 2 known good ecms, all check out no vacuum leaks. dist set to 0 degrees. what has me stumped it acts like a timing issue and when I unplug the est bypass connector the engine dies every time. i manually advance the distributor about 20-30 degrees it runs a whole bunch better it still pops and sputters, but still dies when I unplug the connector. i have tried 3 different icm's there are no significant voltage drops that I can find.there were no signs/symptoms before it stopped running, it just stopped like I turned it off.
    if anyone has an idea fire away
    A bad distributor will do this too. I had an old one and had idle and timing issues. Do you know what your timing goes to when it's running? and do you have another distributor to test? It sounds like you eliminated everything except that.

I was heading in that direction myself. it would not stay running long enough to check anything. the dist was a new richporter I bought in june last year, I warrantied it out yesterday and installed the replacement this morning. and now all is right with the world (pun) the truck purrs like it should. thank you for the reply notime2d8.