Thread: Custom wire harness for EBL project

Carb and Points!

Custom wire harness for EBL project

Question from a Newbie.

I don't know if this is a bad word around here but I'm planning a future EBL install. My truck is a 1994 GMC K1500 with 5.7L and 4L60E trans. Originally had 3.42 but now 3.73 ratio.

I want to make a custom wire harness so I don't hack into my stock harness on the truck. I've seen some threads where guys take the connectors out of a donor PCM, desolder it from the circuit board and then use DB9 connectors to wire it up to a connector harness for the PCM and another set for the EBL ECM. (I think I have this jargon correct). In this manner I could easilly go back to stock if I wanted.

Question. I'm looking for a donor PCM. Mine PCM is a 16197427. Does the code (like a BJWT) really matter? I think that's just the specific calibration of the stock EPROM right? So if I got any old 16197427 donor PCM then I could tear it apart and be OK for my wire harness right?

Question 2. I can find donor PCM's on ebay in the $40-$50 range but it seems a shame to destroy a perfectly good working PCM just to get the connector out of it. Is there a better source for the connector? Is there a source of "non-working" PCM's? Does anybody here have a junk one they want to part with for a few bucks?

Thanks in advance...!!!!

-KEN-

Fuel Injected!
    i have a burned out pcm with the red and blue connector you can have just pay for shipping.

Fuel Injected!
    It's really easy to remove the pins from the PCM connectors. It's likely easier to pop the pins out of the connectors and re-pin for the new PCM than to make a PCM adapter harness like you're asking.

You are correct the, the BCC is only referencing the calibration on the EPROM. The PCM itself is the same as long as it's the same service number.

In your case, since all you want is the connectors from the PCM to make an adapter harness, any of the PCMs with the red and blue connectors will work, there are several.

When I'm going to a possible unknown controller/ECM/PCM, I like to make adapters so that going back to the original ECM/PCM is simple and quick. After the tune is proofed out, I like to swap the pins, if possible.

In this case, since the '7427 will need to be retained to control the trans, making an adapter is the best option. It allows both controllers to control their respective parts. So in reality this is more of a T harness than a straight up adapter.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.