Thread: new here...odd project and need help

Carb and Points!

new here...odd project and need help

As he title says i'm new here and have an odd build. I have a 1979 4 bolt main 350 bored to 355cidhave with flat tops that i am building. I am using 906 vortec heads and a lunati voodoo cam pn 10120701lk and adapting tbi from a 1991 caprice wagon that had a 305. Now i am told that i don't have to tune it because it will make the necessary changes. But i know the obd1 system can only do so much without a tune. So what would i need to complete this build and will i need to tune it?

I am mechanically inclined and pretty good with computers...primary limitation is money.
    Thank you all in advance

You were told wrong! Spark advance is all wrong, fueling will be off along with a dozen other things if you want it to run right! Yes it will run... Also the 305 injectors are to small and won't supply enough fuel! 5.7L with increased fuel pressure or older 7.4L injectors are closer to what's needed for fuel supply. HP takes more fuel!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Carb and Points!
    Thank you for the quick reply looks like i'll need to get the stuff needed to tune a ecm then. I have notbought a fuel pump or regulator yet, any suggestions? It's going in a 1977chevy c10.

Fuel Injected!
    Over the years i've figured out the vortec pump (1996 chevy truck 350) is the only thing to use in TBI's.
    Not sure what the deal is,but the stock tbi pumps just always have issues untill swapped with a higher pressure/volume vortec.
    that's assuming you can use an intank pump.
    if not,and you use a frame mount pump just make sure you don't wire it to come on with the key.
    the cheaper ones (mr.gasket) will last just a few months being deadheaded.
    the regulator is built into the TBI unit and will bypass the excess fuel just fine imo,or you can mod it to be adjustable.

Administrator
    FWIW, I'd recommend a F*rd pump. You can pick one up for a 98-2000 (IIRC) Explorer V8 for reasonable money and it will power most street builds. It's 5/16" outlet vs 3/8", the terminals at the pump are different, and you'll need to look through the F*rd socks to get one that works, but it's a fairly easy swap.

I started as a GM tech and over the years I've replaced many, many Chevy pumps. In the buses, with the poppet injectors on Vortec trucks we sometimes only get 30,000 miles out of an aftermarket part. Yet my F*rds can run 250k miles on an original pump and still be running when we send 'em to the junkyard. We probably change one F*rd to 30 Chevys. No lie.

The only other good pump I've seen was the Bosch that was original equipment in my '89 Sunbird Turbo. That pump ran to 287k and was still running when I removed it. I was having a driveability issue and changed it because, well, what pump can run that long in a GM? When I disassembled to pump for evaluation I realize it had an easy 20,000 miles in it still. However, I'd already bought the Explorer pump so in it went.

Carb and Points!
    Ok so the ecm i have is 16136965. What do i need to do a tune on that ecm?