Thread: 1st true datalog ASDU3 bin

Fuel Injected!

1st true datalog ASDU3 bin

Take a look....now on to the tuning. Excited to see what kind of MPG I can get.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Jason
    1987 Silverado V-10 TBI
    Goodwrench 350 260hp/350tq motor
    3.08 gear 400 trans
    Moates Tuning Equip
    TunerPro Software
    Level, Plumb, and Square

Fuel Injected!
    did you apply the patch for bpw and spark advance in tuner pro 5.6 , it is in the parimater tree.

Quote Originally Posted by ony View Post
    did you apply the patch for bpw and spark advance in tuner pro 5.6 , it is in the parimater tree.
    Nope... not there in data...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Well no error codes = good!

Started data log after warmed up = good!

BLM history table are all within ballpark of O2 sensors ability of correction = good! Can always fine tune the VE tables from BLM history.

See where BLM numbers are going above 128 70-80 MAP column? This means you are running low on fuel deleivery, everywhere else was under 128 = good. When BLM numbers go to 128 in 90-100 columns it does not mean it's perfect, it means the ECM went into PE mode, notice at same time the BLM Learn is disabled! Now look at O2 sensor voltage and it's in .8xx range. Little low and I like them in .9xx range. This is only a cheat and where a Wide Band O2 sensor is needed for accurate WOT/PE fueling.

I'm sure if you had your foot to floor longer and at higher RPM the O2 sensor voltage would drop even lower = lean! = NOT GOOD!

You didn't leave any idle at end of log but the little bit I saw showed a TPS voltage of .72 and no IAC counts. So throttle blades are open to far, you need to have a few IAC counts for ECM control of idle. TPS voltage goal is .54, a little higher is OK, you may have to file out TPS mounting holes oblong to twist TPS to get voltage perfect.

HTH!

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    ok...I have installed the patch and will do another datalog tomorrow. Would it be wise to "smooth" out my SA Main Spark Advance, like I did with the VE table?
    Jason
    1987 Silverado V-10 TBI
    3.08 gear 400 trans
    Moates Tuning Equip
    TunerPro Software
    Level, Plumb, and Square

What patch? Only use TPS% patch for testing purposes. DO NOT use it for driving as it disables part of knock code that is needed for Knock Sensor! There is notes in there about this...

Smoothing is always a good thing due to Interpolating of cells, except the idle area can be flat.

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    Nope... not there in data...
    This Patch/Hack for the BPW and SA
    Jason
    1987 Silverado V-10 TBI
    3.08 gear 400 trans
    Moates Tuning Equip
    TunerPro Software
    Level, Plumb, and Square

-= =-

Fuel Injected!

2nd datalog ASDU3 bin

ok...I smoothed the VE table using the spreadsheet and installed the BLM/SA patch. I see what you are saying about the TPS...I will adjust that down from the .7 I will also begin smoothing out the SA table. When I get ready to add timing do I do that just in the SA table or do I need to mod several of the SA tables that are listed. I know some say just to advance the dizzy and rock on but I wanted to see what you thought.
    Jason
    1987 Silverado V-10 TBI
    3.08 gear 400 trans
    Moates Tuning Equip
    TunerPro Software
    Level, Plumb, and Square

Oh yeah! There's loads of adders that need to be looked at when you start modifying the Main Spark Advance table to a more performance oriented advance table.

And no, don't just advance the distributor and rock, you could be advancing the distributor and KNOCK! Your tuning are'nt you? Well then let's be a tuner and not use cheap tricks that have consequences!

So you've added all this spark and go to start your rig on a cold morning. Take a look at:
    SA - Coolant Comp Spk Adv
    See how much more spark is added on top of what you modified? This is still a good table for cold starts and also pulls some timing when the engine is hot. What I like to do with this table is lower all the BIG numbers used at cold temps and low vacuum.

The one people for get about is what is added to spark as RPM increases!
    SA - Max RPM for Spark Slope
    uses this amount
    SA - Spark Slope-Deg/1K Rpm

Or how about the spark advace added when in PE?
    SA - PE Spark Added

When you start adding all the spark for performance you also need to cut back on:
    SA - Startup Spk Added

If your EGR is still on may need to adjust this? Or zero out if not used:
    SA - Startup Spk Added

If your using Highway Lean Cruise then there's another!
    SA - HiWay Lean Cruise Spark Added

Leave both Spark Bias alone. Set distributor to 0* and or adjust
    SA - Initial SA

When all is said and done, hook up a timing light and check the engines actual spark advance compared to what is shown in TunerPro RT. All areas should be within a couple degrees. This is a good sanity check!

There's an option in $42 for
    Options - Burst Knock Retard
    "Burst knock is anticipated knock. Not used in most 5.7L bins but is enabled in most 5.0L bins."
    I like to use it on Auto trans when the spark advance table has been modified to performance level and here's why. You have all the spark you need and can use and cruising down the freeway and either slightly accelerate or a hill causes more load which adds more spark advance. Then you may pick up some knock counts which may start some retard. The burst knock option anticipates this and backs off timing a bit for the transition and avoids the knock counts. It can be used very effectively.

Stay Tuned!

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    yes...it is kicking in an extra 5*+ at start-up. I can see where that would make cold starts a pain on cold days if you just advanced the dist.

I also see with looking through all the additional SA tables, scalers, and flags that there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes with timing far beyond the dizzy, BUT I will get it and understand it. It is just my nature...I got to know why this does that and that does this.. I do thank you for your patience and help. I will continue to read and learn and display my data for critique, opinions, and good criticism.
    Jason
    1987 Silverado V-10 TBI
    3.08 gear 400 trans
    Moates Tuning Equip
    TunerPro Software
    Level, Plumb, and Square

Fuel Injected!
    The SA Spark Slope via Slope-Deg/1K is wild...If I am reading it right it adds 5* per 1k rpm up to 4200....that's 20+ degrees. I understand more of why the timing numbers in the SA Main table seem to be lower numbers, but when you factor in all other variables it is a different picture all together.
    Jason
    1987 Silverado V-10 TBI
    3.08 gear 400 trans
    Moates Tuning Equip
    TunerPro Software
    Level, Plumb, and Square

Glad your learning! Pass it on!

Your a little off on the slope though. It starts to add at 3600 RPM, the end of the Main Spark Advance table. So it adds "SA - Spark Slope-Deg/1K Rpm" from 3600 RPM to whatever "SA - Max RPM for Spark Slope" is set to. But if you add that and PE spark? It's significant!

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    So at this point I feel I need to be looking at everything South of 4k. My ole 4x4 isn't ever going to see higher than that. It is just a stump puller....not a drag truck . With that being said I want to achieve the most MPG that is possible to squeeze out of the ole girl without sacrificing performance.

In my main SA table lets say I add 2* to the entire table just to get started on this long road to timing. Then I would need to go back and cut 2* from anything and everything that adds timing at anytime. This would keep from getting any surprise advances. Is this correct?
    Jason
    1987 Silverado V-10 TBI
    3.08 gear 400 trans
    Moates Tuning Equip
    TunerPro Software
    Level, Plumb, and Square

Fuel Injected!

7th datalog after 6 VE/BLM wash, rinse, repeat sessions

OK...Will you take a look at this and see if I am headed in the right direction. It seems like the more I go through the BLM spreadsheet you and Dave made the less changes are needing to be made in the spreadsheet, which I would assume to be a good thing. It just seems like my BLM readings are on the high side in the 40 - 60 columns.
    Jason
    1987 Silverado V-10 TBI
    3.08 gear 400 trans
    Moates Tuning Equip
    TunerPro Software
    Level, Plumb, and Square