Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Six_Shooter's Money pit/Time Vampire

Read through most of the thread. Nice sixshooter. Very very nice as you just don't see many of them anymore (Datsun 240z), or at least where I live.

Thanks man.

You don't see many anywhere.

I do know of 3 others in my city, one is just around the corner from my Grandparents place, but have only seen it for the first time yesterday, in the garage, another is a friend of mine's and the 3rd one has been sitting at a lot for a construction place for 3 years, I want both of them. LOL
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Look in Spokane CL, there are several, but I think 260Z... no salt down here...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

I need to update this thread with some of the changes I've made, but for now, I will post these pictures. Ok, they are not really of the 240Z, but they are related.

The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    I need to update this thread with some of the changes I've made, but for now, I will post these pictures. Ok, they are not really of the 240Z, but they are related.

Can't see the pictures?

Been a long tiome since I saw your car I went back to first page and there's a lot of pictures missing?

-= =-

Hmm, I wonder if the site updates (where the pictures are hosted) recently have messed with linking.

I know most of the older pictures won't work, because they were hosted on Facebook, and their updates have screwed with linking.

Try this:

Hmm, I wonder if the site updates (where the pictures are hosted) recently have messed with linking.
    Nothing changed here. But your links were from another forum and sometimes they won't work.

Cool RC!

-= =-

Administrator
    A very stock sounding 280Z turbo passed me on the highway yesterday. I was driving the Toyota and the thought crossed my mind to play around. It would have been fun. Then I remembered the leather couch on the back of the truck and decided maybe not.

280Z with a turbo would not be stock. ;) the turbo version was introduced in the 280ZX, which is a completely different body style, though theres is a resembalance.

I figured I would update and post that that over the last few weeks I have been playing with differerent code in my car. I used $58, with great success, and as of earlier today, I have ran $12P in my car, which is Australian code that will run in the '165. I made an adapter harness, that I will post pictures of when I vet a chance.

Fuel Injected!
    280Z with a turbo would not be stock. ;) the turbo version was introduced in the 280ZX, which is a completely different body style, though theres is a resembalance.

I figured I would update and post that that over the last few weeks I have been playing with differerent code in my car. I used $58, with great success, and as of earlier today, I have ran $12P in my car, which is Australian code that will run in the '165. I made an adapter harness, that I will post pictures of when I vet a chance.
    Nice! high speed datalogging, or is that just with the '808?
    '86 Grand National

Fuel Injected!
    good to see you got it driving six shooter
    yes it has highspeed logging on 165 and even higher speed logging with the custom definable message 6 aldl logging of only important parameters while tuning.

The logging seems to be even quicker to refresh than standard 8192, which is great.

I'm back on $59 for now, since I have it more closely tuned than $12P, and I have a show to go to today.

Administrator
    280Z with a turbo would not be stock. ;)
    No. It wouldn't. Which is why I really wanted to play around and see if it was just a transplant or if there was more under the hood.

Well, I've made some pretty large changes recently. I've been working on this for a while, but just started the switch over on Friday.

So earlier this summer I decided it was time to swap an LX9 into my car. I got another one from the local wreckers, along with some other parts.

I started by building some of the parts needed to install and attach parts to the engine, to get it ready for the swap. Things like alternator mount, headers, modified front cover, etc, etc.

The plan was to swap in the new engine over my holiday week, since the shop (where I work) was not being used, and had 10 days to use the hoist. That didn't work out...

My original plan was to keep the original (type) trans that was already in the car. A little more back story, the car was originally automatic when I got it, then swapped in a 4 speed manual, then a 5 speed manual, both manual transmissions were either what would have been it in originally (the 4 speed) or direct replacement/upgrade (the 5 speed). Anyway. I did some measuring for clutch depth and such and it seemed like it was going to work perfectly, depth wise anyway. So I made an adapter plate, but then noticed that the depth didn't look right when I placed the adapter plate on the back of the LX9. Measure again and sure enough I was off. *facepalm*

Note of advice, make sure you only remove the width of the ruler used for making a straight edge once, not twice... So my depth measurement was off by 25mm :/

Back to the drawing board

So I remembered that the 2.8/3.1/3.4 in the F-body used a thicker flywheel, so off to research if it was thick enough. I found one picture online that looked like the flywheel would be a very promising part. It was Sunday of my holidays week, so I couldn't find one that day and figured I'd get one the next day from the wreckers. Think again. Arg!
    There was ONE in Ontario, at another wreckers not too far away, but it was still in the car and they were "short staffed". So I waited, until Wednesday when it finally arrived. Great, I can continue on and hopefully be able to get the engine in.

Nope.

As I test fit the thicker flywheel, it became apparent that the increased diameter was too large for the trans I had planned to use. Arg! What to do?

Plan C, maybe D by now. I had waiting in the wings another trans that I had planned to swap in at a later date. I decided to explore the option to put it in now, even though I didn't have a clutch, shifter or driveshaft for it. Turned out that the bellhousing was large enough for the flywheel, the input shaft is IDENTICAL to the old transmission (Thank you Nissan for keeping some things the same!). Make a new adapter plate, for this different trans. It was Friday of the holidays before I got the engine and trans mated, so I decided it was too late to take the car apart. :(

Engine and trans mated for the first time:

So now I just needed a shifter and driveshaft. Driveshaft was pirated from a Nissan 4runner, because they use the same trans, though configured a little differently, but still no shifter. New one is $148 from Nissan, and I would have needed to modify it before I installed it anyway, due to chassis fitment. I also didn't like where the shifter would end up in the shifter hole and I knew I wanted to push the trans back farther than when it is mated to the L28 in these cars. So What to do? Make a shifter using parts from a 4-speed trans original to the car, why not? lol

So now I have a clutch (Which still needs some verification on exactly how I'm going to piece the clutch and pressure plate together. More on that later.), a driveshaft to use for the yoke, and a home made shifter.

Not complete, since it seems I don't have any pictures of it done, but you get the idea:

This might just work

So there is a civic holiday here in Canada, on the first weekend in August. It's not a mandatory holiday, so some places stay open, other places do not, luckily, we do not. So I decide that as of Friday of that weekend it would be go time for the swap. That's this past Friday, for those keeping track.

The car comes apart pretty typically. I was trying to drop the entire driveline out the bottom of the car, but due to the engine sitting at quite an angle, this proved to be more difficult than it was worth, so out the engine crane comes and the engine and trans are removed through the top. I then remove the front crossmember, so that I could lower the car over the new engine and trans.

I HAVE to see the new drivetrain sitting between the frame rails before I go home. Keep in mind I've already mocked up the LX9 in teh car a few years previously, when I pulled the L28 for some maintenance, so I know basically what it's going to look like, but I need to see the headers, and the belt system in there, I just have to.

Oh yeah, I like it

It looks great in there, and it looks like I will be able to push it back as far as I would like.

It's still on the engine dolly at this point and decide to use a chain between the trans mounts and the engine support to lift the car up and really inspect what I'm going to need to do for mounts.

But I think this is where I should make it a new post for a new day...
    Attached Images Attached Images