Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Six_Shooter's Money pit/Time Vampire

Re: Six_Shooter's Money pit/Time Vampire

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark
    Next time your at the track, make a run and if breaking up at high RPM? Change plugs! Now take a run.

Don't feel bad. I got done tuning a freinds Big Block Mopar. Put the final chip in for a test drive and the driveshaft broke about half way through first gear... OK, I'm done!
    Mark, you're obviously not understanding what I'm saying.

My timing tables are extremely conservative, compared to what other people are running in similar combinations. I'm 8 to 10 degrees less than what they are running in the top end. So much so that my AFRs go real rich. Last night I started adding timing and my AFRs started dropping at those same points. It's not a spark plug issue, it's a spark timing issue.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Oh OK!

But, if you still break up top end on track night have a new set of plugs and try it!

Like I said earlier, I learned on a carburated LARGE CAM Big Block Chevy 1/4 mile race car. 11 second car. We got 4 runs out of spark plugs. Pulled, looked perfect, put back in and broke up for another few runs, put in new ones and got 4 more 1/4 mile runs... back then we found out other racers had the same issue... they walked over and told us... this would be early 80's. Don't know if racers are having the same issues today? Top fuel is one run but then after one run they need an engine rebuild too...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Well, I pulled the tranny and pulled it apart. I don't think I did too bad at an hour and a half to get the car off it's wheels (onto jack stands), and have the tranny apart so that I can stare at a broken 1-2 shift fork and decide that there is no way for me to fix that before 7 AM.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

on a Sunday...

-= =-

Well, I swapped the 1-2 and 3-4 shift forks from a 4 speed, since they are steel. The 5 speed tranny originally had aluminum shift forks, which would probably be fine for someone who doesn't power shift their tranny.... That doesn't describe me at all. LOL

I'll re-install it in the car tomorrow night and then take it for a few laps. :)

The 240 is back together and on it's wheels. I'll take it out for a few laps tonight to see how it is.

-= =-

My car hates me.....

While tranny feels better than ever, the diff, at least I suspect it's the diff is now making noises.

Sounds like you need a new PCM with tourque control.

-= =-

I've had a boost control problem for a little bit.... again.... arg!

So I decided to install the additional wastegate springs a little more elegantly. I bought a package of new springs and made an additional arm to mount to the wastegate lever.

Original install, I started removing them before I took the picture:

Arm:

Test fitting:

I decided that since two springs came in a package, that installing one spring just wouldn't be enough, so cut a little more metal, drill a couple more holes...

I <3 b00st:

So far, it's working better. I hit a solid 15 PSIG, which is what the ECM is programmed to control the boost at. I haven't held it there for long, but will test more probably tomorrow, to make sure that it's good.

Just a thought... mark that bracket where it bots on to be able to see if it is moving over time? The way it is pulling looks to be tightening the bolt which is good but no notch on the bolt or bracket it could still move from that position.

Nice to see somone can still make stuff!

-= =-

There are two nuts, one sets up the distance to hold the wastegate actuator rod and the spring arm on, tight enough to have litte slop, loose enough to move freely, the other is a jamb nut. I've been running this set-up sans the spring arm for 4 years, it's never come loose or given me problems. I don't expect it to start now. ;)

Figured you had it covered but just thought I'mention what I saw, now I understand how it works that would not be an issue.

That's quite a bit more spring! Was it fluttering before?

-= =-

Exhaust pressure was opening the wastegate flapper before it should have been. It seems to work much better with the new springs.

I really need to put a higher rated actuator on it, but this is easier. lol

Took these about an hour ago: