Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Six_Shooter's Money pit/Time Vampire

Re: Six_Shooter's Money pit/Time Vampire

Uhg, I hate the LS swaps...

There are a LOT of LSx swapped S30s...

It is rather boring...

Much like the SBC swaps used to be... In anything...

Adding the turbo and EFI to the L28 is MORE than enough power and torque for these cars. That being said I will be swapping to a V6 that I hope to make more power with, but that's only because I can.

If I just wanted a driver, to have fun with, I do exactly what I've already done.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Yeah but just like there were plenty of left over 350s years ago, then all the high performance parts came around, the time is now and for the next 10 years there will be plenty of LS motors all over the place. The 350 era is over and LS era has begun.

I like what you did to the motor. Unique!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Well, I installed a couple gauges that I used to have in the car, to replace a couple of the Autometer gauges, that I grew tired of...

The car also got an altitude change.

Pics tomorrow. :D
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Stock springs:

Eibach springs:

It's subtle difference in ride hight, but has made a huge difference in handling.

No pics, but the 240 is losing it's multi-colour status! :o

Some pics of less multi-colour.... lol

I don't think I've mentioned it, but I had a boost problem. It seems I probably had this problem longer than I realized.

I noticed it earlier this year, when I tried to turn up the boost from 12 PSIG to 15 PSIG, that it stayed at 12 PSIG.

Checked a few things over, eventually wired my wastegate closed with some mechanics wire, but the problem still persisted. I knew the mechanics wire wasn't keeping it sealed, but it seemed to hold it almost closed, enough that I figured it would allow boost to build higher than 12 PSIG at high RPM. I had been considering that my couplings between the turbo and TB might be leaking, or the IC was leaking from somewhere, thinking that maybe the turbo really was too big, but then it should have spooled to the 5 PSIG even later.

Apparently, it wouldn't and after installing a heavy spring on the wastegate tonight, I pulled out of the driveway at work, then hit the gas in a slightly spirited fashion, I happened to be looking in the direction of my boost gauge, when I saw it spring around to about 12 PSIG and my shift light came on!! It never did that, it just kinda slowly climbed up to that point, and it took a fair amount of time to get the shift light on, even in first, this was almost instant. Woo-HA! So I drove around a bit and checked to make sure that was actually the case.

Let me tell you 15 PSIG of boost on this 2.8L is a phenomenally fun. THIS was the reason I put the turbo on this car. I was seriously considering my planned engine swap for this winter, even though I didn't really have time for it. I've just been disappointed with the performance of it recently. It was still decently quick, just not that hard hitting surge of power I've been trying to get.

Now... OMG, so much fun, hard hitting, slam you into the seat, everything goes to a blur fun...

all that and it was just a spring?

You still getting enough fuel with all that boost that's working now?

-= =-

Yeah, the wastegate was being pushed open by the exhaust pressure. Which isn't really that surprising, since generally, exhaust pressure in a turbo vehicle pre-turbine is usually around 2 times the intake pressure. So that means that exhaust pressure would be around 24 PSIG with the 12 PSIG intake pressure, and around 30 PSIG exhaust pressure, when intake pressures hit 15 PSIG. The wastegate actuator I used is pretty lightly sprung, so it doesn't take much pressure to push the wastegate flapper open. I did have a spring on it before, but it appears it was too light and allowing the wastegate to crack under just exhaust pressure. The new spring is much heavier, and seems to be holding the wastegate closed up to around 15 PSIG anyway. I'll have to plug in the laptop to see what the wastegate duty cycle is to make sure it's the ECM controlling the boost and not still just spring pressure.

The fuel I'm not 100% sure on, I wasn't really paying attantion to my AFR display at the time. I know the VE table looks good up to that point, probably on the rich side like it is below that boost level.

So what was AFR?

Rich is good! that way you still have a motor left to tune!

A freind of mine in childhood got a brand new 240Z on his 17th birthday 1978?. Or was that a 260Z? His brother was 17 the year before and got a used 1969 Ram Air GTO... he was showing me how fast it was, when he shifted to second he should have been stopping for the stop sign... that was my first accedent as a passenger... totalled a showroom condition GTO. it was actaully fine from doors back... same with the other car, no one was hurt... the cars met in intersection right front bumper to left front bumper... then we changed direction and I was face to face with the girl driving the other car...

I had to go back to NJ for my sisters funeral 2009 and found him still driving the Z. Never had another car in his life.

-= =-

Well, went to the drag strip tonight. I have a better time than last time out, just not quite as quick as I would have liked to see.

Best pass was a 13.741 @ just over 105 MPH. I had a few passes over 106 MPH as well.

I've finally broke into the 3 digit MPH. My truck when it was together with a 3.2L V6 turbo and poorly "tuned" if it can even be called that would run 99.9, 99.8, 99.7, 99.8, 99.8 MPH, but never actually break into the 100 MPH range. :-\ The Datsun last time out had a best MPH of 98.something, again just shy of breaking 100 MPH. Tonight I did it though. :D

It needs a littel work, it was breaking up at the top of the gear like I've seen for a while now, but just couldn't really tune that on the street, since I would be breaking the highway speed limit before getting through second gear. :-\ I added more timing, since I know my timing is conservative and it pulled harder through the gears, but still breaking up a little. I think I will also benefit from a taller gear. I short shifted one pass, ran a slower time because of it, but I think it was my best MPH of the night, but I'll have to go through my slips to see. Good thing I have a set of 3.54s to go in it. ;)

I know there's still more left in it.

Change the spark plugs and the top end break up will go away for awhile... we used to get 4 runs on a set of plugs at track, pulled and running clean but would start to break up top RPM.

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark
    Change the spark plugs and the top end break up will go away for awhile... we used to get 4 runs on a set of plugs at track, pulled and running clean but would start to break up top RPM.
    No, it was from drowning the engine in fuel, I added timing and it went away, or at least reduced a lot. I know my timing is very conservative in the top end, and I should be able to add plenty more, I'm just sneaking up on it right now.

Well, the tranny finally broke in the tranny, no 1st or 2nd gear.

Next time your at the track, make a run and if breaking up at high RPM? Change plugs! Now take a run.

Don't feel bad. I got done tuning a freinds Big Block Mopar. Put the final chip in for a test drive and the driveshaft broke about half way through first gear... OK, I'm done!

-= =-