Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: Six_Shooter's Money pit/Time Vampire

Administrator
    ARP is the way to go. I bought ARP for the Toyota engine. I had some time so I spent over a year watching for deals. I bought the fasteners at near cost and they still cost as much as the dump bed on the back!

I haven't undated this thread in a while.

I did get the car back together, even took it to the track.

Best run was a 12.71 @115 MPH, running out of gear at about 1200' and needing to shift to 5th or just coast, since the engine stopped making power about 5600 RPM, and the shift point was about 5800... Still, I was pretty happy with that. :D

Then just over a week and a half ago I was rolling to a stop, engine braking and when I pushed the clutch in, all hell broke loose.

The boost gauge showed over 300 PSIG, keep in mind that the throttle was closed, the AFR gauge showed 99.99 AFR (Basically pure air), sounded like a diesel, and I THINK showed no oil pressure on the gauge. I quickly turned off the ignition at which point it wouldn't re-fire. There was also a new knock or thud sound while cranking. On one cranking attempt I saw flames under the upper intake, which I believe formed around the #2 injector!

I first thought it was the cam pin had snapped, whihc is not unheard of on the gen3 660, when that checked out fine, I then thought broken cam, but that checked out fine as well.

So I think it's narrowed down to the ignition module taking a dump and either firing the wrong cylinders or all of the cylinders at the same time. I think this caused the engine to start running backwards when I pushed the clutch in, which would explain the gauge readings.

I have not found anything wrong with the engine to cause the sound that was heard while cranking. Bearings look great, nothing loose, etc.

I still have my other block I'm going to put together and put back in the car, with new crank and rod bearings.

Anyway, I decided to take a time lapse video of pulling what remained in the car after the initial exploratory into it.

The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Fuel Injected!
    Sounds a lot like a leaking fuel injector to me. I had exactly the same experiance happen with the L28+M90, blew up the sheetmetal plenum like a balloon. Combination of enough fuel in the intake plus slightly too advanced timing/valve not sealed/some source of ignition in the intake. I spent two months hunting down that problem, the injector didn't leak while sitting still, only when the car had been running and was hot-once cooled off, the drip stopped.