Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: End of Windows XP support!

I ALWAYS start from scratch when installing any OS. I find I can get around a lot of quirks that may have been present in a previous installation this way.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Sometimes that is time consuming though, although I agree!

When I lost my laptop... well during the cup of coffee through the keyboard and out the USB ports... then the brand new one I just spent a day on installing updates and tuning software and cables only lasted less then 30 minutes in a car while recording data I got cut off and slammed the brakes... while watching the laptop launch off the passenger seat and fly into dashboard then hit floor... and never run again!

That is when I decided to look into the backup software and found True Image. Couple features it has is being able to load your OS, software updates etc... ready to roll on a USB stick with drivewrs and all that is needed to recover back to perfect even with a wiped or replaced hard drive. The other feature is the Sync. So my three laptops all Sync files constantly. The other features are good too like auto backups set to whatever you want, daily, weekly, monthly, to my wireless network 1 TB hard drive or the non stop back up.

When I first got my Panasonic CF-74 loaded with the original windows XP OS that had all the drivers, bells and whistles for the PC. I then did updates, loaded all tuning software, cables etc so it all worked fine. No fluff, no bloat software nothing extra! I then used True Image to make the USB stick backup which is a complete image of HD. Then used it to re install and it worked perfect. Now that is a secure feeling!

Did the same with my other 2 laptops but they are Windows 7 and needed much bigger USB sticks! Can also do it with CD or DVD or from network cable to another har drive. It's just a sweet software product!

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

True Image is another great program I have used before. The PowerQuest Drive Image (version 7 I think) also allows for an image to be created after the updates. It is time consuming to install a new WinDoze OS and update it and find missing drivers and..... and.... reboot.... and....
    If the time spent on your own personal computer doing a fresh install and the updates, plus any software you commonly use is properly cloned or imaged, the reinstall time of this configuration is less than doing it the first time. PQ Drive Image took about 40 minutes to reinstall an updated WIN XP PRO with PDF reader, burning software, and other stuff. It is highly recommended for anyone to do create a clone or image of their OS if they are the one who is reinstalling it when a hard disk crashes or other disaster strikes. I remember installing the first Win Vista "Upgrade" to an existing SONY desktop with XP Media Center back when Vista was first released. The PC at the time was fully loaded and maxed out on RAM for its day. That install took 5.5 hours BEFORE I was able to go online and proceed with the updates and such. That took another couple of hours.. I can't tell you how many hours of PROGRESS BAR I have seen in my life..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX8yrOAjfKM