Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 95 Chevy 355 TBI Build

Hey guys,
    I have been thinking about the Performance Pack from Sonnax, they said that it eliminates PWM/TCC function. Dave W. said he will have to program that function out, when upgrading say to what Im doing with different Servos that hold the gears and firmer quicker shifts and a 2200-2600 stall does the computer try to correct those longer shift points thinking its slipping or does it adapt to the aftermarket parts? Do you have to go in and change shift points on TunerPro RT to make buying this stuff worth while?
    Some places I read say no and yes..can somebody shed some light on this for me?
    Thanks
    Max

The Performance Pack Kit, in part, increases base line pressure and line pressure rise (as TPS increases). It looks like doing away with PWM TCC is optional. I guess Sonnax recommends this because the additional line pressure makes TCC lockup/unlock a bit harsh. You could adjust PWM TCC engage and release rates in Tunerpro RT also, but this would probably take a fair amount of trial and error. With you not burning your own chips, you're probably better off with the Sonnax mod.

The adaptive learning can be turned off in Tunerpro RT, but it probably won't make much differrence. In the stock BJYL tune, adaptive learning can only add 10 psi or subtract 5 psi to achieve the target shift times. Your trans will build so much more pressure than stock that the ECM taking out 5 psi won't even be noticeable.

You'll definitely want to have Dave adjust upshift and downshift tables and TCC engage/release MPH vs TPS tables to take advantage of your extra power and transmission mods. For example, the stock Tune upshifts at 4,000 rpm. You'll want to bump that up at least 1,000 to 1,500 rpm to compliment your motor.

Thanks for the reply Roadknee!

Update

Hey guys,
    Got motor done for the most part had to modify the stock brackets alittle to work with vortec manifold etc., still have to drop in new pushrods that came today and prime the motor other than that motor is ready to go in! I got the transmission set up, going to tear it down tomorrow, still need to order some trans parts but getting pretty close to finishing. Heres a pic when I put intake on. (haven't put brackets on yet in this pic)
    Thanks
    Max

Fuel Injected!
    Lookin pretty good man!

A healthy stock pump is def capable of more than 12 psi. Ive deadheaded many over the years doing diagnosis on vehicles in the shop and also my s10 blazer which has a tbi pump, back when I had tbi injection I opened up the stock regulator and made it adjustable via a threaded screw, and I could get upper teens if I remembered right...

You will like those vortec heads over the garbage tbi heads. Should be a good cam for you too. I had almost the same came on mine (altho I had tbi heads with that cam..).. could hit manual tcc lockup and spin the tires on a smooth road at under 2K rpm! lol.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post
    Lookin pretty good man!

A healthy stock pump is def capable of more than 12 psi. Ive deadheaded many over the years doing diagnosis on vehicles in the shop and also my s10 blazer which has a tbi pump, back when I had tbi injection I opened up the stock regulator and made it adjustable via a threaded screw, and I could get upper teens if I remembered right...

You will like those vortec heads over the garbage tbi heads. Should be a good cam for you too. I had almost the same came on mine (altho I had tbi heads with that cam..).. could hit manual tcc lockup and spin the tires on a smooth road at under 2K rpm! lol.
    Careful what you call garbage, they are ALOT better than anything that came in the 70s emission era.

TBI heads make more low-midrange torque than Vortecs, hence you spinning tires under 2K.

Thanks Superbee! With the advice that was given to me on fuel pump I think a EP381 is best for what Im going to do with it. Fast355, I had no idea TBI heads had better low-range than a Vortec!? I was told they should be used as boat anchors. Injectors are on their way back from Mr. Injector I had a flow chart made for 22psi. Ordered the Ostrich 2.0 last night as well as a ALDL cable. TB will be here tomorrow! Oh and another random pic of setting rockers today. Sorry its a little crooked.
    Thanks
    Max
    Last edited by 355chev; 04-18-2014 at 04:14 AM.

Fuel Injected!
    ok, so take garbage with a grain of salt... Yes the swirl port design allowed for some good low end tq. In 2014, I don't consider comparing anything to something in the 70's a feat by any means ;)

Fuel Injected!
    And do yourself a favor and drill a hole in your p/s pulley while you have it off so you can access the power steering pump bolts without having to take anything apart...Not really as big of a deal on a fullsize, but on my s-series you couldn't fit a puller between the pump and rad so it ALL had to come out... But easier is easier...

Superbee good idea. I got that TB today from RV Morse, in person you can tell there is definitely a difference. I took a picture but I don't think you can tell very good the difference between the two. All and all nice professional work by Vic, I would recommend him if your in the market for a bored throttle body.
    Thanks
    Max

Update

Hey guys,

Haven't posted in a while, I tore trans down and found why it burnt up, it was from a checkball peening its self into the separator plate. I guess its a pretty common problem with 4L60E's. Have all trans parts on their way, hopefully will be here next Monday. Also got fuel pump into the tank and put new fuel filter on. There is all kinds of small stuff to do while Im waiting for trans parts so Ill be plenty busy ha. Anyhows here is some pics.

Thanks
    Max

Easy way of putting fuel pump in, just use 7ton crane.

Is that your original trans? How many miles? We're any of the bores in the valve body or pump worn? I know sonnax sells oversize replacements but am curious how commonly they wear.

Fuel Injected!
    Usually see them pretty worn but never clear into it like that with 150K or less.

Roadknee, Yes original, 114k, I have not torn into valve body or pump yet was waiting for Sonnax kit first. Im pretty sure its the TCC apply valve that wears out thats in valve body don't quote me. Sonnax has a really nice site, you can pick your symptoms of trans and it will bring up parts to fix the problems. Superbee, Well it has been ran hard, and our winter was a harsh one -40 to -60 a lot of the time and my thought is that the trans fluid wasn't fully warmed when I took off and when I got to highway and passed a few people I figured that checkball wedged in not allowing clutches to release?... then I noticed on my way home it was slipping. I also noticed most of all the places on the separator plate where the checkballs were sitting, it was pretty worn like they were slamming into the plate repeatedly for a while, Peening the hole out. Just like the one that got stuck in plate.

Hey guys,

To answer about the pump and valve body bores they were all good still, minimal if not any wear. Got my Sonnax kit and Servos in and trans rebuilt. Going to start putting it together on Monday. Only one pic that I took had it all together before I thought of taking more..

Thanks
    Max