Thread: Moates Autoprom TunerPro RT Failing to Emulate

Electronic Ignition!

Moates Autoprom TunerPro RT Failing to Emulate

Well we got the 3.4L running in the Vega last night and we were able to do a break-in. We did this by burning a chip. However, now we're trying to emulate in order to calibrate on the dyno next week. I followed the instructions for emulating in TunerPro and also referenced this http://support.moates.net/troublesho...apu1-autoprom/. But I've had no luck.

When I am connected laptop-ALDL, I can read values in real time when I'm not attempting to emulate. For example, before keying up, MAP reads 85 kpa. Once keyed up, I'm at a real value of 99 kpa. I'm connected; makes sense. Data is refreshing at only 0.8 Hz, but is refreshing nonetheless, when connected and emulating, I cannot connect. MAP reads 85 kpa. I have the Autoprom switch in the APU1 Mode. I followed the TunerPro help steps and was able to upload the bin and verify it. And TunerPro tells me that I'm emulating. There is no connection, no fuel when cranking, etc.

Beyond that, something very strange happened and showed me I truly am turned around. I was emulating in the state described above. I was connected laptop-ALDL but forgot to plug in laptop-Autoprom, cranked and it fired? What happened there? There was no chip in the ECU. The Autoprom was plugged in but with no chip in the zif socket. I'm not sure how it ran. Does it somehow acquire the emulation through the ALDL? Once again, when I connect laptop-Autoprom, it will NOT run.

I'll keep chipping away and breaking things trying to figure this out, but any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

You're not leaving an EEPROM in the ZIF socket while trying to emulate, are you? If you are, stop immediately, remove the EEPROM and try emulating again.

It's these sentences that makes me think that you are trying to emulate with an EEPROM in the ZIF socket:

"Autoprom was plugged in but with no chip in the zif socket. I'm not sure how it ran."

Also, make sure you have the correct emulation settings in Tuner Pro for the AutoProm, found under preferences.
    The man who says something is impossible, is usually interrupted by the man doing it.

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by Six_Shooter View Post
    You're not leaving an EEPROM in the ZIF socket while trying to emulate, are you? If you are, stop immediately, remove the EEPROM and try emulating again.

It's these sentences that makes me think that you are trying to emulate with an EEPROM in the ZIF socket:

"Autoprom was plugged in but with no chip in the zif socket. I'm not sure how it ran."

Also, make sure you have the correct emulation settings in Tuner Pro for the AutoProm, found under preferences.
    Yeah, I hear you. There is/was absolutely no chip in the AutoProm and she fired and idled but was not getting any data. So then I checked the Autoprom connections and said wtf the ribbon cable isn't even connected. I still do not understand how it ran.

I'm trying to find if the emulation settings are not the same as the settings for burning a chip. Thanks for the tip.

It was running on the Limp Home Chip.

Always load the bin to emulator and then verify! Sometimes it fails, load again until it verifys! Turn key on and watch CEL, it should come on, blink, then stay on till engine starts and go off. If it comes on after that you have set an error code.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by UglyBoost91 View Post
    Yeah, I hear you. There is/was absolutely no chip in the AutoProm and she fired and idled but was not getting any data. So then I checked the Autoprom connections and said wtf the ribbon cable isn't even connected. I still do not understand how it ran.

I'm trying to find if the emulation settings are not the same as the settings for burning a chip. Thanks for the tip.
    It will run without a chip or the cable plugged in...... just runs like crap. LOl

Electronic Ignition!
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleMark View Post
    It was running on the Limp Home Chip.

Always load the bin to emulator and then verify! Sometimes it fails, load again until it verifys! Turn key on and watch CEL, it should come on, blink, then stay on till engine starts and go off. If it comes on after that you have set an error code.
    Gotcha, thanks. When trying to emulate, I was getting it to verify. I then initialized and it said that it was emulating. But then again, I still can't connect once keyed up. No CEL with key on and emulating. I'm thinking this has to be a wrong definition or the ribbon cable not hooked up correctly.

Initiate is TunerPro hooking up to the Emulator. After that you need to click on Emulate. Both switches in...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-