Thread: Coolant Temp Sensor Location

Fuel Injected!

Coolant Temp Sensor Location

I have my CTS in my thermostat housing now and i know that i need to relocate it because it doesn't get temps until the thermostat opens. I have a performer rpm intake that looks like the intake below on a sbc, the stock location everyone uses and suggest is not drilled and tapped. So my other location options are:

581.jpg

1. Drivers side cylinder head
    2. Drivers side water outlet
    3. Leave it in the thermostat housing

Thanks for the help.

I have the same intake just drilled 9/16" and tapped 3/8"NPT that divit hole on right side of thermostat wet shopvac out any shavings install CTS...then bobs your uncle!

Works perfect!

(if you remove thermostat you can shove a rag underneath and over to location to further prevent stray shavings.)
    Last edited by gearhead1; 03-28-2014 at 02:21 PM.

Fuel Injected!
    I did the same, drilling and tapping that blank boss.

You can also get a thermostat riser to put the sensor under it.

On my jeep (AMC engine, not chevy) it has a 3/8 npt fitting for the heater hose on the intake. I simply installed a "T" fitting in the intake and installed the CTS there. Since it gets a constant flow of coolant I get good temp readings. I have had it like this for years and have not had any issues yet.
    Not sure how the heater hose hooks up on a chevy, but figured it might give you a idea.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhead1 View Post
    I have the same intake just drilled 9/16" and tapped 3/8"NPT that divit hole on right side of thermostat wet shopvac out any shavings install CTS...then bobs your uncle!

Works perfect!

(if you remove thermostat you can shove a rag underneath and over to location to further prevent stray shavings.)
    But I already have the two holes with plugs in them that seem to be getting the same coolant flow. But i guess the stock location is best...drilling intakes on cars and metal shavings always make me nervous...

Quote Originally Posted by notime2d8 View Post
    But I already have the two holes with plugs in them that seem to be getting the same coolant flow. But i guess the stock location is best...drilling intakes on cars and metal shavings always make me nervous...
    Those locations are just fine only problem being you'd have to use a bushing for sensor as the hole size is different. The bushing may hide the sensor from the water stream though causing false readings.
    89 K1500 Scottsdale 5.7L 5spd 3:42 RamJet cam Dart iron TBI heads 427 PCM swap
    95 C2500 Cheyenne 6.5L turbo diesel 4L80e 4:10 DB2-4911 Manual pump conversion 0411 PCM trans control 2Bar COS
    05 Outback XT 2.5L turbo gas auto

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by brian617 View Post
    Those locations are just fine only problem being you'd have to use a bushing for sensor as the hole size is different. The bushing may hide the sensor from the water stream though causing false readings.
    When I ran my TBI setup on a performer vortec, victor jr vortec, and performer rpm on the 305, the bushing did not effect the coolant temperature sensor. It pretty much reads the temperature of the intake manifold coolant passageway anyway.

I'm sure it depends on the bushing too, seen some taller some shorter. Always could trim the bushing if it shrouded the sensor too much. In the end getting it out of the thermostat housing is going to mark the biggest difference. Good stable water temp and it really wouldn't matter too much.
    89 K1500 Scottsdale 5.7L 5spd 3:42 RamJet cam Dart iron TBI heads 427 PCM swap
    95 C2500 Cheyenne 6.5L turbo diesel 4L80e 4:10 DB2-4911 Manual pump conversion 0411 PCM trans control 2Bar COS
    05 Outback XT 2.5L turbo gas auto

The CTS needs to stick out of the bushing/adapter quite a bit into water flow, or you'll be reading cool...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-