Quote Originally Posted by sciroc View Post
Thank you for the info. I will burn that bin and get started. I am ready to get this baby tuned up. I had been running the stock 305 bin with the new 350 and 350 injectors and lets just say I thought I had a hole in the tank. It has been getting 11-12 mpg. That just takes the joy out of a stock daily driver and I REALLY like the truck.
Your MPG issue is largely timing, IMO. That older engine design and older smog head with its 8:1 compression ratio is going to want a massive amount more timing than the TBI is programmed for. So much so that I would advance the distributor to 6-8* maybe as much as 10*. I have run as much as 16-18* initial timing and 38-40* of total timing on 87 octane gas in those engines with as much as 50* of cruise timing at 3,000 rpm. Even my vortec likes as much as 40-42* of timing at light throttle cruise around 2,200 rpm. Without physically moving the distributor, you will not be able to run more than 42* of timing. At 6* you can run 48* and 10* you can run 52*. At 3,000 rpm, say 30-40 KPA that engine is going to want 46+ advance.