Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 68 camaro supercharged 5.3 idle problem

Sexy!

Before the cooler did the air run right in front of the radiator? Just wondering how much of that temp drop was compressed air and how much radiator heat?

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Fuel Injected!
    It came out of the side toward the intake went straight into the intake

Fuel Injected!
    It's a whipple sidemount it was not designed to have a intercooler it was a short distance between the throttle body and the intake before I tried to put the tb back on the intake but the supercharger makes a very loud farting sound when I did I have the same setup on my silverado ss I had it tuned and it runs fine but he won't tell me what he changed

Fuel Injected!
    OK … as a preamble, my posts tend to be to the point, but no negative connotation is intended nor implied.

At the outset of this project I recall two things in particular. One, that you had a similar setup in another vehicle that operated well, but that you had purchased this tune. Two, I recall a “spirited” discussion regarding tuning options - MAF only, SD only, and blended MAF & SD (OEM style).

Fast forward to the present … your induction configuration does not include a MAF sensor, which effectively eliminates 2 of the 3 tuning options. This is not a problem for an experienced tuner, but is not an optimal situation for a novice tuner. A novice tuner may find a MAF only tune as the most simple way to begin the tuning process. As experience is gained, working with the VE table(s) becomes less intimidating. Eventually, this may lead to migrating to a blended tune (MAF & SD), or even to a pure SD tune.

The tune you posted is an open loop (OL) SD tune - which means there is no fuel trim afforded by the PCM via the narrow band oxygen sensors (NBO). Again, while not a problem if the VE table and / or MAF table are highly accurate, it is generally not the most forgiving configuration for a street driven vehicle. Properly used, the short term fuel trims (STFT) can be very beneficial.

The above process requires the use of a wideband oxygen sensor (WBO). I would not run this engine at all without a WBO connected. The posted tune with respect to airflow, is virtually stock, and is not representative of the engine’s new forced induction airflow dynamics.

The question you need to ask yourself is, can you reasonably learn how to tune a forced induction engine, within the time frame allotted for this project. With an open ended time frame, a WBO, and a great deal of self-education, I have no doubt that you could do it. Sometimes a quality dyno tune is money well spent. Just something to think about …….

When you finally obtain a WBO, I foresee future questions regarding how to connect it to your V2, and how to configure the PIDs.

There was a gentleman on the EFILive forum that would walk people through their tuning projects from beginning to end. Sadly, he passed away.

I have neither the time, nor the inclination, to provide support at that level. I try to answer questions, point people in the right direction, and assist with their decision making processes.

If you decide to try and tune this project on your own, I would recommend not running the engine further until you have a WBO connected.

Fuel Injected!
    its going to be a track car it runs great plugs look good no detonation it just wants to die if i let off it fast i know im in over my head tuning it but i hate to just give up because something is difficult i appreciate the help.

Fuel Injected!
    In no way was I telling you to give up - just encouraging you to think logically. If you are up to taking this on - awesome. Get yourself a WBO, and starting reading the AutoVE Tutorial that came with your EFILive software.

As far as how it is running - after you have a WBO providing a readout you may rethink this statement. From the O2 mv in the log you posted, it is running rich - which is much better than lean.

While you wait for the WBO to arrive, don't run the engine under load. As far as the stalling goes - it could be a lot of things, or the interaction of several things. You could try adding some air to the B4307 table. Also, you could increase the target idle speeds in the B4603 table. Once you get the tune squared away a little, the Throttle Follower / Throttle Cracker tables may need some work to polish how the engine returns to idle, or how it coasts down to a stop.

I am time starved these days, and other than a few minutes here and there, I don't have much time for forums - but, I enjoy participating when I can.