Thread: Its alive

Its alive

Fired the engine for the first time this eve. No cooling system on it yet and still haven't finished hooking up all the sensors. I still have lots of work to do but its finally warming up enough here to be able to work on it again. I posted last year about my Jeep build and here is the engine running. Just a .030 over 350 TBI setup using a 7427. Audio sucks on my phone when shooting video but you'll get the idea.

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Nice, very nice progress.

dave w

Wired up an O2 sensor and strapped a radiator on front this eve. Going to run it for a half hour or so tomorrow with the laptop connected to see what the sensor data shows. Currently I have a BJYL memcal in the pcm. I have been working on a bin from a 454 tbi with a manual transmission for my tune. I have read here on the forum that its best to start with a manual bin but since there seems to be no 7427 ecms with a 5.7 manual, it seems it would be best to use the 7.4 bin and set the displacement and injector size in it to what I have. Is this my best option?

Not everyone would agree on what a good starter .bin file should be. I would use .bin file that is closest to the original engine displacement as possible. I think starting with an original 5.7 liter .bin would make for a good plan because the injector parameters, timing and fuel tables are for a 5.7 liter. I feel it is very important on the initial start up, to have the critical parameter from a .bin file matching the correct displacement and injector parameters.

dave w

Fuel Injected!
    i am using that bjyl bin on my truck with a manuel trans and even though i am not completly done tuning yet it run pretty good and i have no problems with shifting gears. the only thing is when i stop the rpms take about 8-10 seconds to come down to idle but im sure i will be able to tune that out.

I currently have a BJYL memcal in it. I wired in an O2 sensor and strapped a radiator and electric fan on it. I ran it for approximately an hour on Saturday. It fires up and idles well. Still need to adjust throttle blades because it has 0 counts on IAC. Read sensor data and when it goes Closed loop, it seems to be pretty rich. Idle BLM is 108. Injectors dont leak but its probably useless to try and tune anything until I can actually drive it on the road. Next step will be setting body back off the frame and media blasting it. After that, spray whole tub in epoxy primer. May have to pull intake though. I had a rocker arm that was noisy and and that one lifter is not controlling the oil through the pushrod. It has a steady stream of oil coming through it to the point that oil forms an arc and doesn't even hit the pivot. Looking back, I should have pulled all of the lifters apart and cleaned them. They were used but low miles. It must have a piece of carbon on the metering plate inside. The bottom half of motor came out of a 1998 3/4 ton van that burnt. Took engine apart and everything looked great. Just cleaned it up and put it back together with TBI instead of the vortec heads. Changed cam to a sealed power CS808. It is a roller engine. Anyway, that is where I am with it. I had put straight water in the cooling system but supposed to get down to 25 here tonight and 17 tomorrow night. I drained everything this morning and used compressed air to blow through block after pulling all of the drain plugs and hoses off. It will be a few days before I will get to work on it again.

A little update on the Jeep project. Between work, raising a family and everything else in life, I have finally made some progress on the old M38A1. Shot some paint on the outside of the tub Tuesday eve and took some pictures this morning before the rain hit. Currently straighteneing the fenders and getting them ready for paint. The inside of the tub is going to be sprayed with bed liner tinted with the military paint. Slow progress but it is coming along. Here are a couple of pics

Well, been driving the Willys for a week or so and finally have some datalogs. Here is one from today. Overall it runs great. There is a roughness to the engine up to about 2200 rpms. Not bad but you can feel it in accelereation. I added some timing and smoothed the table. It did help with the roughness down low in RPMs. Once you get up to cruising speed of 65 mph it smooths out and can hardly tell engine is running. I know the timing is a little hot under load. When the datalog is showing 60MPH, it is actually closer to 65-66 MPH. Speedometer and VSS signal are as close as I could get with a speedometer ratio adapter. Engine is a 350, .030 over with flat top rebuilder pistons. Pistons are about .030 down in hole at TDC and I realize it isn't ideal for detonation resistance. Sealed power CS-808 cam. TBI and swirlport heads. Heads were from a 3/4 ton truck that had rotators on intake and exhaust valves. 65CC chambers. This log is on 87 octane E10 gas. Comments / Suggestions welcomed. BTW not done much with VE yet. Going to run it through spreadsheet tonight.

Brian
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by sturgillbd; 06-27-2015 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Added comment about VE