Thread: Is it possible to wire a WBO2 directly to to an ECM?

Electronic Ignition!

Is it possible to wire a WBO2 directly to to an ECM?

Be aware, this is my first dive into tuning and I'm going to learn all the software-side knowledge before touching a thing. Also, I will be getting a wideband in the future regardless of whether or not what I am about to explain is possible. Nothing horrible about having to deal with an extra gauge.

I am getting a carputer project started on a 1990 Grand Prix Turbo (LG5 engine, $8F) and it is quite complex. Both the ALDL and emulator connections will link up to a tablet via Bluetooth-type cables. The tablet (which will slide in/out of existing hardware that is a very good size needing just a little craftwork) is a small 8-incher with only one micro-USB port, which can only be used either for charging OR data connections, meaning wireless connections are a must, either through BT or USB-over-WiFi hub. The former is both cheaper and less cumbersome. 2 companies sell B/T ALDL cables, and the Moates Ostrich 2 can have the functionality soldered to it easily. An aftermarket head unit for A/V could also have Bluetooth or just an aux-in of some sort from the tablet headphone jack. Ambitious.

The last thing I need to set straight for tuning is the WBO2 sensor. I really don't want TunerPro to lack these readings being in the logs automatically when I'm tuning and burning, and I also don't want to figure out where to mount yet another device in a cabin that already looks like K.I.T.T.'s baby hillbilly cousin, more and more every day. Right now there is a single-wire sensor on the turbo, which has confused nearly every mechanic who's seen it. So anyways, I don't know where to go from here.

Super Moderator
    yes. with 8F, it's quite popular to feed a wideband signal to pin C21, which on the 91-up grand prixs was used for the a/c pressure sensor. the TGPs used pressure switches instead, so the A/D channel on C21 is usable.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Electronic Ignition!
    Awesome. If you don't mind, I'd like to make sure the info about wiring it up I got is correct...

Do I need a cable like the Innovate LC-1 or the AEM one or not (I'm assuming yes)? Do I just put the new sensor where the old one was fitted (again yes)? Where is that C21 you are talking about, on the eprom in the ecu or something, and is that a solder or crimp job? I am no electrician obviously.

Super Moderator
    C21 is position 21 of the C connector for the ECM itself. assuming you acquire a spare wire/terminal, you would remove the red "hairclip" retainer, remove the little silicone plug that sits in the spot now and push the terminal through. put clip back in place and it's ready to go.

you could crimp everything together at that point, but i much prefer soldering.

sensor could go where the existing narrowband is if desired.

not sure what is meant by cable?

Most WIde Band O2 sensors have a small wire that outputs the voltage. Just wire this as Robert outlined. The cable that comes with an Innovate will hook up to your PC to program the controller and/or log into their LogWorks software.

I would have another bung welded into exhaust pipe. Is it a V6? If so after the Y pipe.

If you were thinking about using the narrow band signal produced from some of the wide band O2 sensors? I've never got that to work right and always get an O2 error code... which messes up the way the ECM/PCM operates.

EDIT: Oops I didn't realise it was Turbo...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Super Moderator
    for reference:

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php...th-core-return

the narrowband actually mounts directly into the turbo inlet. for any added sensors, i would have to recommend it being in the downpipe.

Electronic Ignition!
    I suppose the cables I've been reading about are not for what I'm planning then.

decided to dig around to figure out what the C21 actually was, thought it meant placing it right up alongside a pin on the EPROM lol. So I'm good. Thanks for the help.