Thread: How does a Torque Converter work?

How does a Torque Converter work?

How does a Torque Converter work including the lock up? Well I had a basic understanding but like most of the black magic preformed by an auto trans not a full understanding. It is the only part of a car I have never taken a course on.

Thought this video was very informative on the TCC end and cleared up the workings.

EDIT: Dead link...

1990 Chevy Suburban 5.7L Auto ECM 1227747 $42!
    1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec 0411 Swap to RoadRunner!
    -= =-

Super Moderator
    automatic transmission = ATF+magic

if either goes away, it quits working.
    1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 3100 + 4T60E

Fuel Injected!
    Mark,

The torque converter used over the last 50 yrs or so is a type of fluid coupling. The main difference is that a fluid coupling does not multiply the torque like a torque converter. The TC consists of 3 main components aside from the outer shell. These parts are..Impeller, stator, and turbine.
    As the engine rotates, it is obviously spinning fluid around inside the TC. The 3 parts of the converter all have fins used to direct the flow of fluid through the TC. Fluid first hits the impeller which is driven directly by the engine. This fluid is directed through the stator which redirects the fluid into the turbine fins thus turning the internal parts of the transmission creating movement. The turbine is similar to the impeller except that it is not connected to the engine but the input shaft of the transmission. Now, the stator has fins which direct the fluid from the impeller fins to the turbine fins. The angle of the turbine, stator, and impeller fins determine the relative stall speed of the TC. Is that enough or have I only created more questions? :)

Buddrow
    If it don't fit force it, if it don't force fit f&%@ it!

That all makes sense after watching the video as well because I know what the parts are!

-= =-

Fuel Injected!
    I clicked on that link and it said "page not found".

D'oh!

-= =-

Quote Originally Posted by buddrow View Post
    I clicked on that link and it said "page not found".
    Same here.

I too have never been able to figure out how a automatic works. Just give me a good manual trans. I understand all parts of those. I have rebuilt several.
    79 Jeep Cherokee, AMC 401, T-18 manual trans, hydroboost, 16197427 MPFI system---the toy

93 Jeep YJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 5 speed, 8.8 rear, homebrew hub conversion and big brakes, hydroboost, 2.5in OME lift, 31x10.50's---the daily driver

99 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee limited, 4.0L, auto, 2wd, leather and power everything, 99% stock---the long distance highway ride.

Fuel Injected!
    Lol I didn't get into this field initially out of i terest, more out of necessity. I love to row my own but I also Love to slap the gear shift in OD and go. the most complicated part is the control system, be it hydraulic or electro-hydraulic, both present their own challenges. The mechanical parts are just parts. Like a jigsaw puzzle, you may force it together a number of ways but it will only be right one way. ;)

Any who.

Administrator
    What's interesting to me is the development of the auto trans from early days of manual + fluid coupling to today with electronic controls. Thinking about how to apply a series of clutches in the best manner, how to physically place them in the transmission for best packaging... there's a *lot* of engineering involved even when the result isn't a good trans.

The holy grail has been for years a completely dry automatic and it may be coming in the form of manual transmissions with computer actuated clutch and gearshift. This is already done in Europe and on some heavy trucks here although the "row your own" guys can't stand them. But with the CAFE numbers heading up, the manual wins the game in terms of overall efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post

Apparently I have terrible luck with keeping the Magic part in my 4L60Es. 4L80Es seem to treat me well, though.

I like my manual transmissions but they lose a lot of their appeal when trying to pull a boat up a slick ramp, crawling along a river bank, towing a big load, etc. Most of the time I've owned two vehicles, the truck that does truck things has been an auto, and the car has been a manual.
    94 Blazer, Turbo'd 350 TBI - DD
    1991 2500 Suburban Adventure truck - 4wd conversion, 4-link F/R, 582ci CNP Big Block with Terminator X EFI backed by a 6L90 and twin stick'd NP205 t-case
    2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo - Date night car :)
    1979 16' Action Marine/"Johnny Cash" Merc Bridgeport Champ Motor - Metalflake Maniac

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
    What's interesting to me is the development of the auto trans from early days of manual + fluid coupling to today with electronic controls. Thinking about how to apply a series of clutches in the best manner, how to physically place them in the transmission for best packaging... there's a *lot* of engineering involved even when the result isn't a good trans.

The holy grail has been for years a completely dry automatic and it may be coming in the form of manual transmissions with computer actuated clutch and gearshift. This is already done in Europe and on some heavy trucks here although the "row your own" guys can't stand them. But with the CAFE numbers heading up, the manual wins the game in terms of overall efficiency.
    Indeed, the "dry-autos" are neat. Using a dry-dual clutch setup instead of a torque converter is an interesting take as well. Ill have to find the article I read and post it. It disengages while at a stop and re-engages upon take-off, much like the hybrid cars kill the engine at a stop. With the advent of 7,8,9, and 10 speed auto transmissions my job gets more interesting every day.
    I've been in the transmission industry for almost as long as I've been turning wrenches and to see how far things have come just in the last 20 years, heck the last decade, it's mind boggling. All very good ideas, most just a poor execution of the ideas usually by way of less than ideal materials.

Ok, enough of my ranting. Have a great day everyone and Happy Spring!!

Buddrow

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    Apparently I have terrible luck with keeping the Magic part in my 4L60Es. 4L80Es seem to treat me well, though.

I like my manual transmissions but they lose a lot of their appeal when trying to pull a boat up a slick ramp, crawling along a river bank, towing a big load, etc. Most of the time I've owned two vehicles, the truck that does truck things has been an auto, and the car has been a manual.
    Same here. Fun ones you row your own lol. The 4L60E can be a very durable unit it built correctly with the right parts install. Like building an engine. You want a maxxed out stock block, rods, heads...etc or do you want a long block that is built for running hard with a forged crank and rods, good heads, etc. You have to approach the trans the same way. The old saying, "Speed cost money, how fast you wanna go" always applies.

Buddrow

Fuel Injected!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post

That is just how I feel about automatics. I have learned about all parts of a car/truck and can fix most parts without too much difficulty (or at least stumble through a repair). Auto Transmissions and computers were the two things I didn't mess with. Learning now about the computers, but I leave auto trans stuff to the experts, too much voodoo inside that case for me.
    2003 Chevy Suburban K2500 8.1L tow rig
    2018 Chevy Cruze LT Hatchback 1.4L T
    1975 MGB Roadster L36 3800 S2 conversion
    1979 GMC Dually, 92 Gen V TBI conversion-Sold